anyone experiencing delays with shipping equipment via USPS?

genjamon

Hope this is the right circle for this.  Is anyone experiencing delays or issues with reliable delivery of audio (or other) shipments via USPS?  I was thinking about pulling the trigger on some stuff soon, but am worried they might get stuck in a sorting center somewhere and never found.  It would be nice to know if people in the past few days have started experiencing any issues. 

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
Re: anyone experiencing delays with shipping equipment via USPS?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2020, 07:26 pm »
No issues with USPS and FedEx.

Revised to remove comments about other shipping companies. 

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2020, 07:36 pm »
I recently shipped FedEx Ground from CA to NY and CA to UT. Both packages were delivered on the same schedule I would have expected a year ago. :thumb:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:02 pm »
A letter from California normally taking 3-4 days just took 8 days.  And a parcel just took 15 days to go less than 200 miles - I think there was a mistake with this one.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:14 pm »
I mailed my state income tax via USPS Certified. Electronic tracking only, no receipt. It took 15 days to go a distance I could drive in 15-20 minutes. It was an in-town delivery to a P.O. Box.

I filed a report when my envelope was not delivered. USPS took a long time to respond and blamed it on "travel delays due to COVID-19".  :roll: 15 days to do a 15-minute drive.  :wtf:

They also tried to put part of the blame on the CA Franchise Tax Board staffing issues. Maybe I am wrong but doesn't a packaged get marked as delivered when it hits the recipients mailbox or P.O. Box?

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:28 pm »
Thanks, guys.  This question is aimed solely at USPS, not Fedex, UPS, or DHL.  I'm just concerned about what I'm reading about the politicization of USPS, withdrawal of sorting machines, etc, and impacts on reliability.  Was curious if people are experiencing issues. 

Not trying to get into any political debates here.  Just asking for actual experiences from this community of people who are generally pretty active buying/selling and shipping stuff.  Thanks to those who have shared thus far.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:42 pm »
What usually happens with these delays is that a letter or package seems to get stuck somewhere for days. When I sent a package, it took 4 days to get from Denver to Memphis, 4 days to the "next" facility, then it took 9 days to Baton Rouge where it was immediately delivered on July 21.

From what I guess is that without overtime, if they don't get to everything that day, they have to leave it and then the next day, I guess they start with that day's stuff before getting to the backlog? But it is the cutting of the overtime that's causing the problem.

I've sent smaller packages since without delays. It's a crapshoot.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:49 pm »
What usually happens with these delays is that a letter or package seems to get stuck somewhere for days. When I sent a package, it took.,4 days to get from Denver to Memphis, 4 days to the "next" facility, then it took 9 days to Baton Rouge where it was immediately delivered on July 21.

Exactly!

This has happened to me several times recently. In fact, I'm still waiting on a USPS package that the tracking data said would arrive on Friday. Now it's listed as, "arriving late." It coincides with the new USPS postmaster general who began in June and made major overhauls -- presumably not for the better.   

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/16/usps-mail-delays-postmaster-general-changes-workers

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2020, 08:53 pm »
I sent a DVD package early August and it got from Salt Lake to Cleveland in 2 days though.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2020, 09:04 pm »
I've been buying little things (books, guitar straps, that kind of stuff) and no delays whatsoever here in Pennsyltucky.
I'm waiting from a guitar from Canada which cleared customs up at the border so I'll report back with transit time on a large item for whatever that's worth.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2020, 09:21 pm »
In my experience the issues have been with the shipping companies that are responsible for delivering larger packages (large screen tv’s, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc).   

I’ve had two relatively consistent issues, one where the shippers website provided no tracking info and when I get tired of the delay I call for updates only to be told that they’ll have to look into it and will get back with me, and then don’t.  Or the shipping companies with websites that do provide tracking info but appear to have delivery people that want to visit each state, alphabetically, before delivering my package.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2020, 09:49 pm »
Just bought a few things from JC Penny online, they use UPS but subcontract some deliveries through USPS which means minimal tracking.
Items were shipped on Aug. 6th and received stuffed in my mailbox on Aug 13th, about the same as the other delivery services.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2020, 12:30 am »
In fact, I'm still waiting on a USPS package that the tracking data said would arrive on Friday. Now it's listed as, "arriving late." It coincides with the new USPS postmaster general who began in June and made major overhauls -- presumably not for the better.   

Lol, the USPS has been in poor shape and had poor delivery performance long before the new PG who’s been on the job less than three months.

galyons

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2020, 12:41 am »
Lol, the USPS has been in poor shape and had poor delivery performance long before the new PG who’s been on the job less than three months.

Not my experience. I ship and receive quite a few packages, both domestic and international. The USPS, and especially Priority Mail, have been pretty much flawless.  USPS is a world class organization that has been caught in some outlandish, petty political B.S.

Cheers,
Geary

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2020, 12:56 am »
Not looking for commentary on the politics of the situation, or judgments regarding USPS as an organization. Just data from recent personal experiences with the quality of service.

sonicxtc

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2020, 01:10 am »
Several weeks ago someone shipped me a small package containing audio gear. The package was labeled properly, tracking was available and accurate, until...somehow a package traveling about 200 miles got shipped a thousand miles away to Florida for no apparent reason. The tracking was MIA for two days. Then, the package was found and re-routed to the proper destination.

USPS never provided an explanation for this event. The package did arrive in good condition.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm »
It took about 10 days to get my Gibson guitar box from Canada to Pennsyltucky.
Somewhere along the line the actual guitar vanished but the box made intact.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:22 am »
Here's what somebody made off with:

genjamon

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:25 am »
Ouch!  Hope it was insured/guaranteed by shipper!

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:39 am »
 :o :o :o :o :duh: :duh: :evil: :evil:

SH&$#@+!!!!

Terrible news.  :sad: