M3 vs X5

Rushca01

M3 vs X5
« on: 20 Sep 2020, 12:20 pm »
Has anyone compared the m3 and the x5?  From what I can tell the only difference between the x5 and x3 is the larger powered sub.  My room is fairly large open basement area that also double as my “home theater”. 

Thanks!

Jprod

Re: M3 vs X5
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:19 pm »
Has anyone compared the m3 and the x5?  From what I can tell the only difference between the x5 and x3 is the larger powered sub.  My room is fairly large open basement area that also double as my “home theater”. 

Thanks!
We need some clarification before we can help - M3 vs x5 or x3 vs x5?

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:57 pm »

Thanks!
There is a significant difference between the M and X series in directivity, among other things, beyond the powered sub. One is not really better than the other until you consider the application. If you give Cllayton information about your room and how you tend to listen, he will guide you in the right choice. He definitely does not "up sell", so no need to worry about that at all. They're both terrific speakers, so it's hard to go wrong.

Rushca01

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:32 pm »
Yes, comparison is the m3 vs x5.  Only different between the x3 and x5 that I can tell is the larger sub.

My components are Mcintosh C2300 (pre), Mcintosh MC402 (amp), Schiit Yggy (DAC), VPI Prime table, and Node streamer. 

I don’t listen to classical, but most everything is fair game including EDM.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:45 pm »
Only different between the x3 and x5 that I can tell is the larger sub.

Yes that is correct.

I was looking 100% at X3 (more is betta, right?) but after reviewing my room, listening habits, etc. he recommended going with the X5 instead. I sent him dimensions and several pictures of my listening situation, and then he called me to discuss and make recommendations. It's a very easy process, absolutely zero pressure. 60 day trial period, which is unheard of these days.

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:30 pm »
Yes that is correct.

I was looking 100% at X3 (more is betta, right?) but after reviewing my room, listening habits, etc. he recommended going with the X5 instead. I sent him dimensions and several pictures of my listening situation, and then he called me to discuss and make recommendations. It's a very easy process, absolutely zero pressure. 60 day trial period, which is unheard of these days.

Aperion Audio also has a 60-day trial period, so not that rare.    I do however applaud both vendors for this generous time frame.

Jprod

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2020, 04:43 pm »
There is a significant difference between the M and X series in directivity, among other things, beyond the powered sub. One is not really better than the other until you consider the application. If you give Cllayton information about your room and how you tend to listen, he will guide you in the right choice. He definitely does not "up sell", so no need to worry about that at all. They're both terrific speakers, so it's hard to go wrong.

Agree 100% with this statement.  Call him and he will guide you.  I described my room to him and sent pictures. He recommended the x5 and he was spot on worth the recommendation.  I have zero desire to  change  speakers ( until Clayton comes up with something better  :D)

Rushca01

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:45 pm »
I sent an email to Clayton, looking forward to his response!

mrotino332

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:04 pm »
Obviously talk to Clayton as he would know best.  I had spoken to Clayton and he recommended the X5 for my room size.  My reasons for the X5 over the m series were the AMT tweeter and the powered woofer.  In my opinion it's a great feature to be able to dial in the exact bass level for a given positioning of your speakers in your room so that was very important to me. Also my amp prefers 8 ohm loads and the m3 is a four ohm load.

Rushca01

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:42 pm »
Well Clayton replied, said the M3’s will be fine and room treatment should strongly be considered.

drhoon

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:19 pm »
What is the main difference between x and m series though? What does m do better than x and vice versa

529proaudio

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:54 pm »
I believe the X5 has an actively powered subwoofer, whereas the M3 is an all-passive design.  The X5 is quite a bit more efficient, so it can be driven by a lower powered amp.  Clayton also recommended both models for my room, but said the X5 is even better at eliminating the impact of the room than the M3, so room treatment might not be as critical with the X5 as it is with the M3.   

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:54 pm »
In addition to the powered sub, the X series has an AMT vs the X100 dome of the M series. They're quite a bit different, though one is not necessarily "better" than the other.

skonger

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2020, 01:34 am »
I guess Clayton is pretty busy since he hasn't been that responsive, so I thought I would ask here. M3 or X5. Room is 35x18x8. The speakers would go the short way, so sound travels about 10 feet to my seating positioning near the back wall on the 18 foot section. The long parts of the room have cabinets on one side and windows with shades on the other end.

Amplification is Schitt Aegir Monoblocks but not tied to it, and a Freya+ preamp. I haven't gotten into the deep end of DACs and will likely avoid it so assume a transparent DAC that adds nothing, cheap, and measures well. SMSL M200 right now.

I'm not happy with my Zu Audio's. They sound good at times, with certain types of music, but they do get quite harsh at times.

mick wolfe

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2020, 03:49 pm »
In a room that size, my guess (and it's just that) is the harshness you hear is the Aegir's clipping. My Zu DW's rarely if ever sound harsh driven by a Freya+/ 60 watt tube amp combination. Room is not quite as large as yours though. If I do hear harshness, more often than not, it's the program material itself. Even if you go with Spatial's, you might want to look at a more powerful amplifier considering the size of the room you're trying to drive.

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2020, 04:12 pm »
I'd add that the harshness could be the Zu's depending on the model.   I've owned them all except the DW and the new Druid 6's and some of them were very harsh especially on the high end, especially with bad recordings, and especially with solid state amps.  Now much of that was tamed with 1. Very high end tube amps. 2.  Very precise speaker positioning 3.  DAC changes.

In comparison, The new spatial models are very smooth on the top end.  I have the X'5's in a room your size and love them though from what I've read I'm confident the M3's would also make me satisfied.  I don't think you can go wrong with either model.  As Clayton said in another thread, one differentiating factor to consider is dispersion, with the X5 having a narrow sweet spot and the M3 having a wide sweet spot.  From that perspective I wish I had the M3's as I listen from all over the place and  appreciate a wider sweet spot. 

Jean-Paul

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2020, 02:28 am »
In addition to the powered sub, the X series has an AMT vs the X100 dome of the M series. They're quite a bit different, though one is not necessarily "better" than the other.

If the two are "quite different" how can they both be near-perfect?

skonger

« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2020, 07:07 pm »
They're supposed to sound similar, but designed to solve different room problems and positioning (per my conversation with Clayton who as everyone says is very helpful). I value the larger sweet spot quite a bit.

Regarding the Zu's, they are DWmk2 with Clarity Caps, pre-amp Freya+ is in JFET mode, and amp is a Aegir which is a class Aish amp.  It sounds better with when the tubes are on for the pre-amp, but it is still forward and a bit harsh at loudish levels regardless of material. The forwardness to me makes the soundstage quite short (I've tried many different positions). The short soundstage makes me want to crank it up because it helps a little with it.

The M3 with a wider dispersion (sweet spot) both vertically and horizontally are very appealing to me as I don't always sit in the same spot and want to be able to share the magic with 3-4 people. It would also make it better for TV stereo though that's always a compromise. The mid-forward presence of the Zu's do make dialog pretty easy to hear.

Jean-Paul

« Reply #18 on: 7 Nov 2020, 04:02 am »
I don't think you'll have a problem following dialogue with any of the SA designs. They EXCEL in this area. And on this topic, why are modern soundtracks so poor in making dialogue clear and articulate? What are the sound producers monitoring on? Earbuds?