Amp Comparison... any interest?

Carlman

« on: 29 Jul 2004, 04:31 pm »
I have some amplifiers that I'm going to compare if anyone is interested.
There's 3 amps:
AKSA 100w w/ Nirvana Plus upgrades
Scott Nixon 40w Monoblocks
EE Minimax 8w tube amp

I don't have to do this at my house but, if anyone's interested in hearing these amps on whatever speakers, in whatever room, that's fine with me.

Just thought I'd put this feeler out there to see if anyone's interested.  I'll be doing a review of them based on the comparisons.  I'd actually prefer to hear them somewhere else to expand on the strengths and weaknesses of my own room and system.

Let me know,
Carl

P.S., I also have a new pair of KEF Coda 70's on the way...

Anton K.

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2004, 08:56 am »
Carl,
Vow, you already have Nirvana+ upgrade!
Not long time ago you were thinking of getting rid of your AKSA in favor of Minimax, if I remember correctly.
Has N+ brought more "tube factor" into AKSA's sound?
I think sharing your impressions before collective listening won't do any harm.
So, I am all ears.

Brgds, Anton

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:10 pm »
The AKSA's changes are definitely in the right direction.  I'm trying really hard to make the right decision to keep an amp for a year.

The AKSA is in a nice, permanent case and it looks and sounds great.  

The Minimax, while being a good amp, is only 8watts.  However, provides the silky-smooth and detailed highs I really like.  The AKSA is much better at bass, slam, etc.  

Each amp requires a different speaker type... Also, tubes wear out over time, solid state doesn't...  So, I'm just trying to decide between 2 really good amps... that are just different flavors.

-C

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2004, 08:49 am »
Carl,
Yes, I'd be interested if you also end up with some hi-eff speakers to demo.  I'm in similar position as you for different reasons, but I've been browsing for hi-eff speakers and SET amps.

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:00 pm »
Carl,

Now you need a tube preamp to complement your AKSA and get the best of all possible worlds.  That really does cap it off...... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:17 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Carl,

Now you need a tube preamp to complement your AKSA and get the best of all possible worlds.  That really does cap it off...... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

I got all excited seeing you post, Hugh... thought maybe you were around and could stop by... ;)  

I couldn't agree more about a tubed preamp... I am so pleased with the Minimax I'm using right now... The realism, palpability, soundstage, and details are all there.  

I'd really like to hear the GK-1 and Aksonics at some point but, it's looking like those will be next year's auditions.

I haven't gotten any super-efficient speakers yet.  I did get the KEF Coda 70's which are 91db.  I thought they were going to be 92... which is probably an inflated number so, we'll see.  They sound very good, especially at $200.  However, when connected to some really top notch electronics, they should sound as good as they are capable.  They have some cabinet resonance that muddies the mid-bass a bit and causes the bass definition to get sort of honky and undefined.  I think some Black Hole 5 might cure that issue and make these speakers very competitive in the $500+ range... but I don't know if they'll compare in the $1,000+ range...  We'll see once I'm done 'tweaking'.  I also think it's silly that they're bi-wireable.  I will likely replace the internal wiring with something very good.... and may take a look at the crossover components.  This may be a good one to submit to Dennis Murphy.  However, other than a slight bass hump, they sound pretty flat in my room.