Dylan awarded the Nobel!

dflee

Dylan awarded the Nobel!
« on: 13 Oct 2016, 02:42 pm »
Bob Dylan has been awarded the Nobel prize in literature. Awesome!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dylan awarded the Nobel!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2016, 02:53 pm »
After Mr.O was awarded this dubious honor in peace with only 3 months in term office I think normal.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2016, 03:00 pm »
Bob Dylan has been awarded the Nobel prize in literature. Awesome!

That's awesome.  With the British invasion (as big as it was and as many bands as it included) around the same time as he broke on to the scene, he always seemed to not get enough commercial credit.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2016, 03:30 pm »
That's awesome.  With the British invasion (as big as it was and as many bands as it included) around the same time as he broke on to the scene, he always seemed to not get enough commercial credit.

In addition, his messages were not well received by those in power.  e.g. "Masters of War"

Come you masters of war
You that build the big guns
You that build the death planes
You that build all the bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten all the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you sit back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
While the young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
That even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good?
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could?
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
By the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2016, 04:31 pm »
Apparently not everyone agrees...

Scottish novelist Irvine Welsh tweeted, "I'm a Dylan fan, but this is an ill conceived nostalgia award wrenched from the rancid prostrates of senile, gibbering hippies."  :lol:

Can't argue with that!

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2016, 05:17 pm »

Scottish novelist Irvine Welsh tweeted, "I'm a Dylan fan, but this is an ill conceived nostalgia award wrenched from the rancid prostrates of senile, gibbering hippies."  :lol:

Can't argue with that!

What do you mean by gibberish? :green:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2016, 05:20 pm »

Can't argue with that!
Mr. Welsh has an interesting take on the award, one which might well be viewed as sour grapes for being overlooked yet again.
While I know little about the parameters employed for selection or the motivations driving the selection committee, I can assert that few if any of the others who were considered have had the political or social impact generated by Bob Dylan's words over the last 50+ years. Many of us appreciate the sentiments, insights and perspectives he has provided and, hence, see no problem with the award. Let's remember, though, despite the notoriety and prestige of the Nobels, they remain just another arbitrarily awarded honorific - with a huge cash payday this particular recipient likely does not need.
All in all, I'm happy with the choice. My prostate is behaving and senility is well masked. You decide if this is gibberish.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:43 pm »
Mr. Welsh has an interesting take on the award, one which might well be viewed as sour grapes for being overlooked yet again...

Let's remember, though, despite the notoriety and prestige of the Nobels, they remain just another arbitrarily awarded honorific - with a huge cash payday this particular recipient likely does not need.

You may be quite right on the first account, totally agree on the second. It's all about the prestige.

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2016, 02:21 pm »
Let's remember, though, despite the notoriety and prestige of the Nobels, they remain just another arbitrarily awarded honorific - with a huge cash payday this particular recipient likely does not need.

I don't know about that "likely does not need" part of your post. From what I've read, Dylan has one of the most extravagant, over the top expensive lifestyles of any rock or movie star.  He tours non-stop because he has to keep up with the bills. Pity for Bob that the Swedish Kroner has devalued a bit against the dollar.:icon_lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2016, 02:50 pm »
I don't know about that "likely does not need" part of your post. From what I've read, Dylan has one of the most extravagant, over the top expensive lifestyles of any rock or movie star.  He tours non-stop because he has to keep up with the bills. Pity for Bob that the Swedish Kroner has devalued a bit against the dollar.:icon_lol:
Really? I had no idea about that. Then again, in all fairness, I have to confess that cannot imagine spending $1,000,000 per year. It's not that I question my ability to do so. There are plenty of vendors who would be able to justify taking that much from me. I just can't see wanting to buy at that rate. Even if I could find enough to buy in my first year, what would I buy in year two - and going forward? Dylan must get several times that much every year in royalties alone. He's been a high profile recording artist for 50 years and has been covered hundreds, if not thousands, of times. Do you have any idea how he plows through so much cash?

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:25 pm »
I always thought that the award was known as the "Nobel Peace Prize", unless I'm mistaken.

As far as it going to Dylan, he wrote lyrics about the Vietnam War, but he did not go to the Vietnam War and serve like my other friends that did. Bitchen' about things in music and lyrics just doesn't seem to me to make anyone a candidate for such an award. There certainly isn't any peace in the world, domestic wise or otherwise.

Wayner

BTW, I tip my hat to all of those that served in the US armed forces for their service.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:06 pm »
AAA+++to everything Wayner just said! :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:39 pm »
It's ironical that the man who invented dynamite now has a peace prize named after him.
Yes, Dylan didn't volunteer to go fight in Viet Nam. He didn't believe it was a just war like many of his generation. History has proven his stance was correct. Millions of Vietnamese were killed, the VC won but then the domino's didn't fall and the communists didn't continue on a march to Australia and beyond. Vietnam was left devastated. Millions dead, landscape scarred by carpet bombing and agent orange...all for nothing.
I too respect those who served. Its too bad their leaders failed them.
Nowadays there's no draft to fight our wars which is a shame. War wouldn't be so popular if you have to put your own life on the line.
Masters of War definitely distilled the feelings of those that were protesting the war at the time.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:43 pm »
I always thought that the award was known as the "Nobel Peace Prize", unless I'm mistaken.

As far as it going to Dylan, he wrote lyrics about the Vietnam War, but he did not go to the Vietnam War and serve like my other friends that did. Bitchen' about things in music and lyrics just doesn't seem to me to make anyone a candidate for such an award. There certainly isn't any peace in the world, domestic wise or otherwise.

Wayner

BTW, I tip my hat to all of those that served in the US armed forces for their service.

Wayner - You are correct in saying that there is a Nobel Peace Prize. You are wrong in assuming that is what was awarded to Dylan. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature which doesn't support your rant about military service quite so well.

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:46 pm »
 :D.  Most of US government top office dodged the draft. bush was one. Cheney another.   Cowards.  Their kids don't go fight.    Dylan was not really all that great .... it's. like Al Gore and his dumb show ,,,,  :D.                               
      Rodger sang ,,,, ' the bravery of being out of range' ,,,,,

dflee

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:47 pm »
To Mr. Welsh and like others, you just don't get it. If you don't want
to try and understand I'm not saying you should but why comment.
Now as far as serving, I was 1A until my physical and came out 1F. They wouldn't take
me so does that make me less for not serving. If you think that than screw you.

Don

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:54 pm »
:D.  Most of US government top office dodged the draft. bush was one. Cheney another.   Cowards.  Their kids don't go fight.    Dylan was not really all that great .... it's. like Al Gore and his dumb show ,,,,  :D
Another irony is that John Kerry, who volunteered, was vilified by political opponents in a shameless smear.

2bigears

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:00 pm »
 :D.  Imagine Trump on the front lines. ???? Useless as those wall street idiots  :D.  Hummm ,  i need to back off on the coffee now ,,,, tank is full ,,, ha     They gave Al Gore a million bucks for that shit movie . He's not a climate scientist or even close ,, 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:07 pm »
How does the award of a Nobel Prize for Literature take us down this road? I'd love to join in here but this is sure to touch off the "political" alarm any minute now so I'm not going to enlist. Am I a coward?