Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

R. Daneel

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #120 on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:38 pm »
If tape-loop is critical to you, then why not keep the BP-17 and add a BDA-3 or some other high-performance DAC? I wouldn't be concerning myself with audio advantages of BR-20 if it doesn't meet the connectivity criteria. Even if it did, I think you'd be losing too much by selling the BP-17.

Cheers,
Antun

fbny71

« Reply #121 on: 13 Feb 2021, 05:54 pm »
If tape-loop is critical to you, then why not keep the BP-17 and add a BDA-3 or some other high-performance DAC? I wouldn't be concerning myself with audio advantages of BR-20 if it doesn't meet the connectivity criteria. Even if it did, I think you'd be losing too much by selling the BP-17.

Cheers,
Antun

You are 100% correct, that is what I've decided to do...keep the BP-17 and add a BDA-3 to my system. Thank you all for your input!

fbny71

« Reply #122 on: 14 Feb 2021, 02:58 pm »
You are 100% correct, that is what I've decided to do...keep the BP-17 and add a BDA-3 to my system. Thank you all for your input!

Unless of course by some miracle, Bryston decides on offering an upgraded DAC card for the BP-17!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #123 on: 14 Feb 2021, 03:35 pm »
Unless of course by some miracle, Bryston decides on offering an upgraded DAC card for the BP-17!

Hi

Sorry at this point that is not in the cards - we are just so far behind on current projects in engineering.

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #124 on: 16 Feb 2021, 08:47 pm »
Hi Sasha

Ok I guess I feel the implementation of the interface is far more critical than whether it is USB or Ethernet but that's just been my experience so far in blind tests.

james

Maybe the perceived preference for the ethernet connection is because the data is buffered in the unit? (try unplugging the ethernet cable and notice how long the music continues to play)
From what I understand I.P. data is asynchronous therefore less susceptible to jitter.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:10 pm »
Hi

USB  is also buffered.

I did not realize Ethernet was - good to know.

james

Sasha

« Reply #126 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:14 pm »

Maybe the perceived preference for the ethernet connection is because the data is buffered in the unit? (try unplugging the ethernet cable and notice how long the music continues to play)
From what I understand I.P. data is asynchronous therefore less susceptible to jitter.

Ethernet connection has no effect on jitter, because the NIC receives Ethernet frames, not digital audio signal, the rendering is done within the unit itself, that is why Ethernet input on every DAC that has such option sounds better than anything else sourced outside. USB can sound close to it but only if taken care of.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #127 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:20 pm »
Ethernet connection has no effect on jitter, because the NIC receives Ethernet frames, not digital audio signal, the rendering is done within the unit itself, that is why Ethernet input on every DAC that has such option sounds better than anything else sourced outside. USB can sound close to it but only if taken care of.

Thanks Sasha

What about the critics and their claim that Ethernet has shielding issues and switches etc. are not audio quality?

james

Sasha

« Reply #128 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:50 pm »
Thanks Sasha

What about the critics and their claim that Ethernet has shielding issues and switches etc. are not audio quality?

james

I do not subscribe to that, Ethernet is not digital audio transport, how can then anyone say that Ethernet cable or switch is not audio quality?
Unless you introduce significant electrical noise, which could be the case of operating in noisy environment, or have defective switch, you cannot possibly affect audio reproduction. If your Ethernet cable picks up so much noise so will your cables that carry analog audio signal, in that case you have a problem that is not rooted in choice of Ethernet. Digital audio signal is born only after the frames are assembled, data extracted, and audio signal generated, which is happening beyond isolated network interface. There is no jitter prior to that. Only at that point your digital audio signal can become jittery, depending on what you do with it before you bring it to DA section for conversion. Ethernet today operates reliably at speeds that are far exceeding the requirements we are discussing. Do not cause congestion, do not have noisy NICs or defective gear spitting frames, and you have the best possible transport.

Sasha

« Reply #129 on: 17 Feb 2021, 02:26 am »
I should add that if there is no clock dependency in audio domain then how can we talk about jitter?
I can also add that I stopped paying any attention to cabling in general a long time ago.
It is true cables can sound dramatically different but only when intentionally constructed to introduce colorations or when used incorrectly in applications they were not designed for. When you compare cables that have proper capacitance, inductivity, insulation and construction for given purpose then you will struggle to hear differences regardless of their cost. Then you realize that it becomes much more effective to spend money on something that matters and brings improvements in transparency.
Almost anything can make an audible difference, but sounding different does not mean being more transparent. That is why I have been stuck with the same speakers and amplification for nearly a decade, every now and then I start looking at possible upgrades but I simply cannot find a component that would clearly bring a more transparent sound. There have been no fundamental improvements. Active speakers using DSP are very promising but nearly all are built to a price point with serious compromises that ruin the potential. For these reasons I have been stuck with Bryston amplification, I had nearly everything from Bryston lineup, up to 28B (not inclusive) and could not find something else that would be more satisfying. I am not saying it is perfect amplification and performs universally well no matter what kind of load it has to drive, I just happen to like what I hear. And based on my experience I decided to purchase blindly BR-20, it seems nearly everything in this product was done the way it should be, the potential for transparency is big. I have very high expectations; hope it will not be disappointing performer when it finally arrives 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 17 Feb 2021, 07:06 am »
Hi Sasha

Well we certainly think alike and I am sure you are going to find the BR-20 fits in nicely with your system.

Best
james

ashtarul

« Reply #131 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:44 pm »
Hi,

Does the BR-20 share the same external dimensions as the BP-17 Cubed? Thanks.

Ash

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:47 pm »
Dimensions

Inches: 17 or 19 W x 4.6 H x 13 D

Cm: 43. or 48.3 W x 11.6 H x 33 D

ashtarul

« Reply #133 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:49 pm »
Thanks James.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #134 on: 26 Feb 2021, 09:53 pm »
What DAC chip does the BR 20 use?

mav52

« Reply #135 on: 26 Feb 2021, 11:05 pm »
What DAC chip does the BR 20 use?

I heard its the same chip used in the BDA-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 2 Mar 2021, 12:59 pm »
Hi Folks,

The first 20 units shipped out last week. :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 2 Mar 2021, 07:52 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 First Impressions

Hi Folks

Here is our first impression from someone who has been in the industry as long as myself.

"Hi Gents,

As one of the fortunate people to get my BR-20 early on I wanted to send you all a short note.

From the first few minutes I turned on and listened to the BR-20 this past weekend  and for the many hours since I have been nothing short of stunned by the incredible performance.

I have not derived this much pleasure from a new component in my system for probably decades. This is the most involving, wonderfully musical and easily the least "digital" preamp I have used. it is making music in my system sound so much more like real music should. Incredible detail, image space, etc. all of the audiophile superlatives one might hope for. I never grew tired of listening as there was never any listener fatigue. Very rare indeed for a digital component.

I don't mind telling you that it replaced some other very high end components I was evaluating. A preamp, streamer, and DAC with a total retail of over $24,000 US. To say the BR-20 was easily competitive and in some ways even a little better was stunning.

I want to wish you all a very big congratulations for an amazing achievement and one that will undoubtedly result in some fantastic sales for the company! Can't wait to see what this amazing team comes up with next!

Thank you to all of you!

Best Regards,
Steve Brothman"

Sasha

« Reply #138 on: 3 Mar 2021, 06:16 pm »
SN 10 has arrived.
Acclimatizing...

James Tanner

• Facilitator