RAD 10 Subwoofer

StevenACNJ

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« on: 19 Dec 2004, 11:43 am »
I have ordered a new RAD 10 subwoofer in maple from Brian. The sub uses the new SX-10 driver which looks pretty nice. The sub is supposed to be excellent for music.

Will give everyone a full report after I get it up & running.

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2005, 03:04 am »
Don,

Since you said you've had a few people ask for pics of the sub I thought I'd post them here.  We have the raw MDF cabinet ready to veneer (that should happen next weekend) so I took a few shots of it with the rounded edges and all.  The amp hole has not been cut out yet as I will do that after the cabinet has been veneered.  Piecing the veneer is much easier with a solid back.

Anyway, here they are:

StevenACNJ

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2005, 12:01 pm »
Brian,

Looks great so far - thanks.

Looking forward to seeing a pic with the maple veneer.  :D

StevenACNJ

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2005, 10:48 am »
For those of you who have asked, Brian will be posting some pics of the finished sub soon.

Thanks

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2005, 03:02 am »
Sorry I haven't posted any pics yet.  I've been slammed all week.  I'll get finished pics up this weekend.

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2005, 03:07 am »
Well, these aren't pics of the finished sub but it does have a few coats of poly on it.  We usually do 5-6 coats to get a nice glossy finish so these pics really aren't shiny yet.  But I did want to post some pics so everyone could see how it's coming along.

Let me know what you think.

Jay S

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2005, 06:25 am »
Looks great Brian!  I personally prefer a a more matte waxed look to a shiny glossy finish.

StevenACNJ

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2005, 10:36 am »
Brian,

Looks great. I am getting excited to put it all together and hear how it sounds.

Thanks.

Adz523

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2005, 10:26 am »
What are the dimensions of the box?
Thanks

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2005, 03:24 pm »
The box is normally a 14" cube, but I had to add an extra 3/4" MDF panel on the front to facilitate flush mounting the driver.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2005, 11:14 am »
A friend asked for a favor....any finished photo's of this sub ? Thanks !!! :thumb:

StevenACNJ

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2005, 01:41 pm »
I just emailed finished pics to Brian. Hopefully he will post them.

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2005, 02:10 am »
Guys,

Sorry for taking so long to post these pics.  The full time job is keeping me pretty busy lately.

Here are the pics of the maple sub as well as a couple of finished pics of the same sub in oak.  You'll notice from the oak sub that we've upgraded to the 250W amp for more power!!

You'll notice on the back of the maple sub that the seams are fairly visible.  Maple is really tough to get a completely invisible seam.  Also, on one of the seams I could not get it to lay down completely flat.  Veneer can have a mind of it's own sometimes.  That's why I like to put seams on the back.

http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/photos/maple_rad10_3.jpg
http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/photos/maple_rad10_4.jpg

You'll notice on the oak sub that the seams are virtually invisible.  Even from a few inches away from the cabinet it's really tough to find them.  This sub has several coats of tung oil and is a little darker than the picture would seem to indicate.  This baby will be boxed up this weekend and be shipped out to the lucky customer! :)

http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/photos/oak_rad10_3.jpg
http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/photos/oak_rad10_4.jpg

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Brian Bunge

RAD 10 Subwoofer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2005, 11:56 pm »
Well, I just finished two more of my RAD 10 subwoofers.  These were veneered in cherry and an antique cherry stain was added.