Sp Tech RMAF ?

stlrman

Sp Tech RMAF ?
« on: 12 Oct 2008, 05:06 am »
Just wanted to hear how things are going for the Sp Tech Gang.  aa  How are the Revs sounding ?  Are they blowing people away, as I suspect ?  :drool:
Also, how are the Minis sounding? and what kind of reaction are they eliciting? I hope this is a great show for Bob and the SP Tech clan , as they deserve great respect for the outstanding speakers they produce.  :D :D :icon_lol: I'm sure many others are awaiting some updates. Thanks !!!
Todd

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Sp Tech RMAF ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2008, 10:26 pm »
Thanks for the nice words about Bob and SP Tech.

Yes, the Revelations are sounding great (I had to leave this morning and typing this from a Dallas hotel), even in a horrific 12 x 20 hotel room.  It is clear that these wonderful large transducers were wayy too big for a lousy barely treated hotel room, but we did it.  It took a village to get them tweeked in correctly, what with the room issues and all, but with the help of Mr. Bob Smith, Brian (his great Danish dealer/customer who came and helped out), Mike Garner (TweekGeek; it was his room, of course), Frank S. (lots of great help and music), RodMcV (he owns these Revs and helped out a lot) myself and others, we got the Revelations doing what they do.....creating live events with dynamics, frequency response and control like no others.

Much much easier was the integration of the Minis to this Mini-proportioned room.  In fact, in THIS room, you could argue that the Minis sang even better than the Revs, especially Sat morning.  Wow.  People were very impressed.  Many listeners assumed we had the Revs on, or a subwoofer playing, or worst case simply shaking their head at the value per note ($2495, plus stands).

But, that's only me and my very biased comments.  I mean, I'm way way committed to Bob's work and his vision.  We need to hear from AC'ers who visted the room....and there were plenty.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:30 am »
I heard the Minis, thanks for the demo  :thumb:

They are a great value and there is little to fault in a speaker at that price, which is an achievement for sure. Also, if you need a small speaker to fill a big space, these will fit the bill as they are capable of playing loud and clean without distorting. They were using Spectron amps, and a big huge amp seems like an appropriate pairing for them.   

The Ridge Street Sasons might be worth a look if you have more than 4x the $ and still need a small speaker... if size is not an issue SP has some larger models. I didn't hear them, but the Revs looked impressive... and possibly deadly if you cranked them up in that tiny room.  aa

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:41 am »
I went in for awhile and it was great meeting Ted and Mike in person.  The Rev's had some really serious low end and sounded pretty good in spite of the room limitations.  I'd love to hear those in a larger rioom with some high powered tube amps someday.  I did not get to hear the Mini's....maybe next time!

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2008, 03:14 pm »
Hey Ted,
I just wanted to thank you for all of your hard work in making the SP Tech show a success. :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:10 pm »
I finally had the chance to listen to these monsters and admittedly they have plenty of charm to go around  :thumb: Unfortunately the room is really too small for them, my guess is that they're only performing at 50% of their full potential. Despite that, I can 'extraploate' from what I heard in that room and 'imagine' what it will be like if I put these speakers in a bigger room with the right dimension/geometry fully optimized for these speakers.

The problem with the small room is that the bottom end got boomy and smear out the details in the midrange and the top end. But I know these speakers aren't lacking in details, because when I put my ear next to one of the speakers (close to the tweeter), I hear plenty of details that I am missing when I sit somewhere between the speakers. Hence I would imagine, in a proper room, I will get as much details I ever need, plus a bigger and more natural/livelier soundstage than what I was hearing in that room.

What I like about the SP Tech speakers is that they have plenty of details and resolution without the harshness/brittleness/aggressiveness on the top end.  I can listen to them hours after hours without bleeding my ears. These speakers are 'juicy' enough without the need for tube equipment. For this reason alone, I would prefer the SP Tech speakers over ANY Von Schweikert speakers, including the $90k pair that were shown in one of the big rooms, which, despite being driven by VAC gears, still sounded a little dry and brittle to my ear.

Well done SP Tech! :thumb: