Amp recommendations for NX-otica

strokke

Amp recommendations for NX-otica
« on: 12 May 2021, 08:54 pm »
Hello,
I am brand new here so I can't use the search function, so I apologize if there is a ton of this info that I cannot find. After trying to educate myself on Danny's YouTube channel and this forum, the one thing I am having a hard time learning about is the amp requirements for the NX series speakers. On the new record day videos, it mentions that you ran the NX-treme off of a 9 watt amp. So as I try to plan a NX-otica build using decware tube amps, will a stereo amp making 2 watts per channel be enough? or two mono amps at 6 watts a piece? or a 6 watt stereo amp? Basically looking for brand specific tube amp advice that will power a NX-otica in a normal home listening room setup.

Thanks in advance for the rambling on, but this high end audio thing has a huge learning curve.
Grant

mkrawcz

Re: Amp recommendations for NX-otica
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2021, 12:19 am »
6 watt monos will work. The speakers are 93.5db sensitivity. Plus monoblocks just sound better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2021, 12:44 am »
Definitely go with 6 watts, 2 watts would be too little for that speaker, IMO.  The Super 7's at 97db that I have are barely sensitive enough for my 2 watt Type 45 amp. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2021, 01:41 am »
I’ve used this calculator quite a bit for a general idea of what a combo of speakers and wattage can do.

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Of course there’s a lot more to consider than this, and I can’t say for certain how accurate it is. But I think it gives a basic idea. Also you do want quite a bit of overhead. Just because a combo can do 100db, doesn’t mean that’s the average levels you can listen to it at.

I don’t think 2 watts would be nearly enough to comfortably push 93db speakers into the “fun dynamic” levels of listening.

strokke

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2021, 04:22 am »
Thank you for input!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2021, 03:39 pm »
Those calculators are useful, but you also have to consider that the bass is off loaded to your servo subs with several hundred watts of power for the bass.  That means the tube amp only has to hand the lower mids to the highs.  That's a much easier load than a full range signal would be.  So it gives you a bit more wiggle room with lower powered amps. 

Even so, I'd not go below 6 watts or so with those speakers.