Replacing sobrothane pads in TT isolation

lordvader

Replacing sobrothane pads in TT isolation
« on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:13 am »
Hi all !

So I've got my self a Rega Silent Base (http://srm-tech.co.uk/shop/article_RSB1/Rega-Silent-Base.html).
What it essentially is, is an acrylic base that houses the motor, and is then coupled to the TT via sorbothane pads (the TT feet are removed, making a sandwich kinda thing).

I'm considering replacing both the sorbothane pads, and the spiked feet. Thing is, given the base houses the motor, there needs to be between 10-15mm clearance in the "sandwich" (more will mean the motor won't be "snug" in it's housing).

Are there any suggestions ? The 5/8 inch grungebuster balls seems decent, but don't know what to house it in.

I'm also thinking IsoBall's to actually hold the acrylic base, rather than the spikes.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Replacing sobrothane pads in TT isolation
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:01 am »
Hi, lordvader. I recommend replacing the Sorbothane pads with original 1/2" Tenderfoot isolation feet (12.8mm tall). These will do as well or better than 5/8" grungebuster Balls, which are the same height as our regular Tenderfeet and just a hair under 16mm tall. Though not featured on our website, you can order regular Tenderfeet and then mention in the "comments" section of the order form that you want 1/2" tall Tenderfeet instead.

IsoBalls would do very well under the base too, but I don't see that you would need to build up so much of a totem pole. I recommend using four 1" diameter Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots under the acrylic base.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

lordvader

Re: Replacing sobrothane pads in TT isolation
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:58 am »
Thanks ! That's exactly what I'm after.

The the screws for the spikes, however, protude from the base, and the spikes screw into them. There also needs to be some clearance, as the tomearm wire comes through the base.

I'll do an order soon :)