power line treatment survey

AllynW

Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jan 2013, 03:54 pm »
Jerry, Yes!  Before installing the new branch circuit I traced each outlet and devices on the household circuit I had been using.  There was a large CRT type TV, 2 computers/monitors, various light fixtures and all my stereo gear.  That was years ago and many of those devices have been replaced with green appliances.

One and a half

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2014, 08:52 am »
System runs at 240V symmetrical for audio power and 120V control.

25A Supply from Dist board
Monster 1750 Power Conditioner for protection
Equitech 1kVA symmetrical 120-0-120 transformer for noise reduction

Power distribution consists of a controller and distributor. Controller is a Furman PS-8R II Sequencer operating at 120V that operates four 120V coil power relays. Each relay has different timing:
0 (Always On)
1s delay (For Tuners)
5s delay for DAC
10s delay for Amplifiers

Each relay switches the 240V from the Equitech. There are four runs of 2.5mm (~12g) Romex equivalent to distributors which are Furutech FP-SWS (G) Schuko wall outlets.
Plugs are Oyaide P079e with C079 IEC sockets
Power cable : Shielded Supra 2.5mm 3 core

Distance from the Equitech to the Distributor is about 25m.

BobM

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jan 2014, 02:14 pm »
I have 2 dedicated lines, both on the same phase in the circuit box. One powers the amp and sources. The other handles phono stage and preamp. The first runs into a homemade Hydra clone PC that I made many years ago for the amp and source equipment using Vishay X-rated caps and Pass & Seymore outlets touted by Bob Crump so many years ago (grip like a vise).

I had previously tried Jon Risch's choked power conditioner but found it did choke out dynamics. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22yzp/id11.html

I also tried his digital isolation transformer idea, connecting 2 Rat Shack transformers at the secondaries to create a balanced circuit. But I found that the 121 volts going in came out as 117V and that cut dynamics on my CD player also. But it does work wonderfully on my turntable motor :-)

I've found some benefit from using clear quartz crystals at key points and have them incorporated into the power conditioner and circuit box (yeah, they actually make an audible difference).

Power cords are a combo of Triode Wire Labs and Kaplans (the voicing is different for each) and yeah, cords definitely DO make a difference.

I've built Paul Kaplans Felicia's Felix into my cords feeding my flat panel TV's, using high current common mode chokes. These made an incredible improvement int he quality of the picture (highly recommended).
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18441.0
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 04:39 pm by BobM »

Occam

« Reply #63 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:28 pm »
I've built Paul Kaplans Felicia's into my cords feeding my flat panel TV's, using high current common mode chokes. These made an incredible improvement int he quality of the picture (highly recommended).
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18441.0

Bob - Didn't you mean Felix(s) rather than Felicia(s) as you referred to common mode chokes. The Felicia was so 20th century.... :? -Paul

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.msg228982#msg228982
I get them confused too....

BobM

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:38 pm »
Duh - of course. Names starting with F confuse me  :roll:

stehno

« Reply #65 on: 24 Apr 2014, 08:36 am »
I own some fabulous Foundation Research line conditioners that are passive (draw no current to themselves), dedicated (one per component), bi-directional filtering (great for bi-directional digital noise), and they actually work. Their fixed power cables, plugs, IEC connectors, and internal fuses are all cryo-treated via full immersion.

Wall outlets are Furutech (cryo-treated), my 4 dedicated lines back to the service panel are double-cryo-treated (vapored). At the service panel all 4 dedicated lines are running of the same phase/leg.  My ics and scs are cryo-treated (full immersion), as are all components' internal fuses.

When I've exhibited at shows, I used a cryo'ed power cable as an extension cable to an audio-grade cryo'ed power dist. center for the gear to plug into.

All my cabling used to be double-cryo'ed, but last fall I started dealing with Jena Labs, the pioneer of cryo-treating in high-end audio and apparently most other cryo vendors use the inferior vapor treatment methodology.  As Jena Labs put it, vapor treatment is roughly the equivalent of eating half-baked cookies verses fully-baked cookies.  Based on the experiment I did with some silver ics sitting in my closet for 7 years (and other ics and scs) I completely agree with their analogy.  Apparently, that's why my request for 2nd cryo'ing showed improvements over the first.

Lastly, I replaced my separate preamp and amps with a single integrated amp, thus reducing the current draw from the wall and reducing the number of power supplies from having to operate with any remaining potential AC noise.  Which then spreads into the vibration mgmt part of the vineyard since power supplies induce significant internally-generated vibrations and the extra chassis' capture much unwanted air-borne vibrations.  But that's for another thread.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #66 on: 24 Apr 2014, 09:29 am »
None.

Live in a rural area with little industry and a reasonably modern grid.
Have our own transformer.
Have a 10 year old house with all 12 gauge/20 amp circuits, whole house surge protector, and (then) new appliances.
Have three dedicated cryo'd hospital grade receptacles in my audio man cave, each on a dedicated circuit that share a common independent ground.

IMO power aberrations (the code term) are local phenomenons.  Never had an issue in the last house (50 years old, a horrible rats nest of wiring after several owners/changes), and trying 100% battery system years ago at that house and here made no sonic difference.  I've heard poor quality power, where some call better listening "the midnight hour effect" to me was just an old electrical grid after local industry shut down for the night.  I'm sure old/large/urban grids and buildings have power (and room acoustic) nightmares.  I'd probably punt (low-fi A/V and hi-fi battery based headphone systems).

carlosaudio

« Reply #67 on: 30 Mar 2017, 04:31 am »
I have a 20amp dedicated service into the listening room.

Start with an Uberbuss to a PS Audio P300 and Power Plant Premiere to run front end transports and PA's.  Very quiet setup.

The rest runs off batteries!   :thumb:
Please compare PS Audio P300 and Power Plant Premiere for source.

Photomanoh

• Make it a great day!
« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2020, 11:51 pm »
I currently have two dedicated 120 lines to my setup. This alone made a significant improvement in my system. Later last year I added a PS Audio P12 Power Regenerator. The Regenerator is plugged into  one of the 120 line with the other being used for a Lenovo Laptop for streaming, lighting and misc. items. The plan was to test the Regenerator and if it didn't make a significant improvement to sent it back.
The P12 made a easily recognizable improvement that even my wife noticed. Needless to say it is part of my permanent system.
P12 added Dynamics, clarity and separation to what I already thought was a pretty good setup. However, as we all know and audiophile is never satisfied.
Make it a great Day!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #69 on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:50 am »
THread started in 2011. I still use the same Furman REF20 I did back then and the same PS Audio P-600 regenerator. The key change to both was replacing all duplex outlets in both with Furutech GTX-D duplex. Some the Gold, some the NCF Rhodium.
IN addition a bunch of PS Audio Noise sniffers on the lines before the conditioners and on the back of teh conditioners.
Upgraded powercords to mostly Pangea XL

tonyptony

« Reply #70 on: 16 Apr 2020, 01:49 pm »
I currently have two dedicated 120 lines to my setup. This alone made a significant improvement in my system.

Photomanoh, nice looking room. What are the dimensions?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 16 Apr 2020, 04:36 pm »
Furutech and Cardas duplexes on a single 20 amp circuit.

Verastarr and DCCA power cables (flat wire is where it's at!)

And finally, finally, finally, have found a conditioner that reduces noise and improves the overall sound w/o getting in the way (slowing the sound, bass boost, etc.) - Inakustik 3500P

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #72 on: 16 Apr 2020, 07:49 pm »
  Using [ 4 ] dedicated 20A lines from a sub panel with Siemens magnetic breakers. Two lines for each mono block, one for digital components, one for line stage, TT and phono Pre. All are separately conditioned. All ground wires are same length. VooDoo and Furutech outlets. Not a dealer of such.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #73 on: 16 Apr 2020, 09:06 pm »
DCCA power cables (flat wire is where it's at!)

True. I've had a pair of DCCA speaker cables for several years. Copper ribbons wrapped in swaddling clothes (ummm...cotton).

SET Man

« Reply #74 on: 18 Apr 2020, 01:43 am »
I currently have two dedicated 120 lines to my setup. This alone made a significant improvement in my system. Later last year I added a PS Audio P12 Power Regenerator. The Regenerator is plugged into  one of the 120 line with the other being used for a Lenovo Laptop for streaming, lighting and misc. items. The plan was to test the Regenerator and if it didn't make a significant improvement to sent it back.
The P12 made a easily recognizable improvement that even my wife noticed. Needless to say it is part of my permanent system.
P12 added Dynamics, clarity and separation to what I already thought was a pretty good setup. However, as we all know and audiophile is never satisfied.
Make it a great Day!

Hey!

Nice spacious room there. Look like your audio room there is almost as big as my entire apartment here in NYC :icon_lol:

Hmmm... pretty old thread, hmmm look like I've missed because I wasn't here much back then. Anyway, it is still relevant. So, here's my power line treatment...

I also have PS Audio power regenerator. My is the first generation, the PS P600. I bought it new back in 2002 and it have been powering my entire system since then. Even though it only have 600 watts, my system only use around 180 watts. I'm running 18wpc SET amps, but even with my other amp, the 37wpc 845 SET amp I still use less than 200 watts. Of course I leave my 2 tape decks and tuner off when I'm not using them. Like you already noticed in your system, the change is easily heard.

Before this I was using Adcome ACE-515 AC filter, it is now in my TV system feeding 40wpc Rotel integ amp, vintage JVC CDP. Other AC line treatments I have are... Monster Cable MP HTFS 1000 feeding my modem and my TV. I also built Felix Project when it was first started here. I have 9amps Felix feeding my TV after the Monster cable filter. And I have a 3 amps feeding my 13" MacBook Pro and wireless router. And some years ago I also built a knockoff of Richard Gray's power thingy after I saw a post about it here. It works, but after I tried it in my main system plugged in the same outlet with my PS Audio P600, I decided that I didn't like the sound of system with it in. So, it is now in my TV system and one thing I can tell you is that this thing works wonder with my old 27" LED TV and now with my 43" 4K LED LG TV. It is quite stunning actually!

Anyway, so that's my AC treatment story. Although, my P600 is getting old, it is still work fine.. maybe I should think about recapping it or something. And I wonder how the new PS Audio power regenerators are. And I wish I had a dedicated 20A line, well, that's not going happen since it is a rental here. :roll:

Buddy

Photon46

« Reply #75 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:13 am »
Buddy, I'm also an owner of first generation PS Audio power conditioner and I went through the whole recapping thing after it was 10 or twelve years old. My advice ( I know it's easy to spend someone else's money for them ) would be to seek out a new generation PS Audio Stellar P3. The sound quality improvement the new model makes over the older stuff is unbelievable and I don't use that word lightly. It's their entry level model and it's compact, simple in function, and according to a PS Audio, has the lowest output impedance of all their regenerators. It would offer plenty of power for your system. I only use mine for the front end. I also recently added a High Fidelity cable MC-1 Pro to the same outlet the P3 is on and that has also been money well spent. It just extended the benefits of the P3 to an even greater magnitude.

SET Man

« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2020, 09:41 pm »
Buddy, I'm also an owner of first generation PS Audio power conditioner and I went through the whole recapping thing after it was 10 or twelve years old. My advice ( I know it's easy to spend someone else's money for them ) would be to seek out a new generation PS Audio Stellar P3. The sound quality improvement the new model makes over the older stuff is unbelievable and I don't use that word lightly. It's their entry level model and it's compact, simple in function, and according to a PS Audio, has the lowest output impedance of all their regenerators. It would offer plenty of power for your system. I only use mine for the front end. I also recently added a High Fidelity cable MC-1 Pro to the same outlet the P3 is on and that has also been money well spent. It just extended the benefits of the P3 to an even greater magnitude.

Hey!

The new Stellar P3 sure small. It cost about the same as my P600 years ago. I remembered when back then I was deciding between the P300 and P600. Knowing that 300 watts would be enough, still I went with the P600 for more headroom and flexibility. Also, with that I'm nothing driving it hard at all.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It is good to know that from someone who have used both. I'll keep that in mind.... but I must say that after checking out PS Audio's website, the DirectStream Power Plant 12 sure look sweet though. Well, for now I can't really spend that kind of money since I'm suck here in my NYC's apartment without work because of this pandemic. :( But on a bright side...I considered myself fortunate that I'm still alive and well, listening to Vivaldi's The Four Seasons through my system right now.  :)

Buddy

gjohnson1713

« Reply #77 on: 16 Jan 2021, 06:18 pm »
I just acquired a 15 year old Balanced Power Technologies (BPT) Clean Power Center (CPC) that apparently was never used.  Absolutely pristine.  It has 2 Bybee Quantum Purifiers and what appears to be a small isolation transformer,  and it is completely lined with ERS cloth.  The 5 duplex receptacles are all American Denki, which I believe was the OEM for Oyaide at the time.  I really did not know what I way buying, but I got my system hooked up to it a couple of days ago, and it sounds great--not the least bit restrictive.  I'm curious what it will sound like after it settles in a bit.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #78 on: 17 Jan 2021, 12:44 pm »
This ancient thread has to hold the record for number of times revived.  Which is fine, kinda like a historical record of power conditioners.  2011, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2020, 2021, impressive.

Truder

« Reply #79 on: 22 Feb 2021, 09:12 am »
My dedicated line is a shielded 5x2,5 mm2 lapp cable. So 5 mm2 for L and 5 mm2 for 0. The shield is only connected to earth  in the fuses cabinet. The earth cable in the lapp is connected to its own 9 m deep rod. In the fusesbox it has its own phase and own pasco with D2 hifiTuning fuse. The house has a  separate earth rod.
In the listening room the lapp goes strait to my Puritan psm 136  without any wall contacts. I also do use 2 puritan guardians.