Pairing sub with WOW1 by SALK

hilde45

Pairing sub with WOW1 by SALK
« on: 17 Jan 2020, 04:25 pm »
Hi again,

Second post. This time with a question. I have the chance to buy a nice Rel 328 sub, used, for a good price. I'm trying to determine if the sub will be a fit for my new SALK speakers (still on order). I'm mainly interested in music listening applications for the sub.

Question is: should I buy the sub? Here are the factors I'm considering:

There are 2 ROOMS in which the sub could be used:
SMALL — about 150 sq ft., 7.5 ft. ceilings.
MEDIUM — about 460 sq ft. 7.5 ft ceilings

The SPEAKERS ARE THESE:
1. Salk Wow1 speakers (48Hz - 20kHz) http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=WOW1

What does REL recommend with their "speaker pairer tool"?

If I use the REL website for speakers similar to mine, it recommends the T7i

Here is that comparison:
T7i 8 inch driver —vs. REL328's 10 inch
T7i 10 inch radiator —— vs. REL328's 12 inch
T7i A/B amplifier — vs. REL328's D-class
T7i is 12 x 14.3 x 15 inches WHD vs. REL328's 13.5 x 15.1 x 15.2 WHD

It may also be the case that I should just wait until my system is in place to audition subs with it — but that would mean I need to let this bargain slip by. Any thoughts about that?

Thank you for your time and advice.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Pairing sub with WOW1 by SALK
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2020, 12:26 am »
I will move this topic to Salk Circle.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020, 01:18 am »
I would get the REL 328, you may not always be limited to a small room. I think the 8" would be too small for the 460 sq. ft. room. Make sure the REL Neutrik Speakon Cable is included, REL's are designed to use the high level input, the low level input will compromise the sound. REL's 10" driver is super fast too.

REL subs are designed as a sub-bass system, don't be surprised if the sub's crossover is set to 38 Hz. The .1 LFE (Low Frequency Effects) input from a home theater processor or receiver can be used at the same time as the high level Neutrik connection from the amplifier and makes movies amazing with bass you can feel.

I have a REL Gibraltar G2 MKII which has a 10" long throw carbon fiber driver (2" travel). The crossover is set at 30 Hz and the sub integrates perfectly with the Salk HT2-TL's and completely disappears. My room has a 326 sq. ft. "L" shaped open floor plan and the sub works perfectly, volume is set at about 1/2 (#18 on the LED readout). REL recommends corner placement but I don't have an empty corner.

hilde45

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:54 am »
That's great advice -- detailed and persuasive. I think you're nudging me over the line. Thank you!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2020, 03:06 am »
Don't know how good the deal is for the 328, but I had a pair of T7i's (with ATC 11v2) in a 2 ch music only system.  :thumb:

hilde45

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2020, 12:22 pm »
UPDATE: I got the REL 328 and it sounds fantastic. Thank you for your help and advice!