I need a new vacuum cleaner but which one?

dolsey01

Re: I need a new vacuum cleaner but which one?
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2018, 04:18 pm »
Over on Reddit there have been at least two AMA’s (“Ask Me Anything”) by a vacuum repairman discussing vacuums.  These discussions gathered thousands (!) of comments.  His universal recommendation:  Miele.

If you don’t want to spend Miele money, The inexpensive (<$100) Shark vacuums are good for what they are.  OPur housekeeping staff uses them at work and they hold up to daily commercial use reasonably well.  We view them as something to replace every two or three years.

I'd agree, our house only has two carpeted rooms and a few area rugs so I bought a Shark Pro model at BBB for like $150 and it's been pretty decent.  We have two Hover cordless vacs we use for in between clean ups and it's amazing what they leave behind if you go back over with the Shark. 

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2018, 07:58 pm »
Hey!

A little update. First thanks for all your recommendation. I also asked around at my work and one of my supervisor told me that his wife love the Shark and they have and used other vacuum cleaner like the Miele before. They also have a husky and they told me the Shark pick up pet hair better. One funny thing, one of my friend at work who live in the upper part of NYC's East side where he would have to walked pass the Upper East Side where there are lots of high price apartments and buildings told me that he see lots of people tossed out Dyson vacs all the time!

So, I went to Bed Bath and Beyond with 20% off coupon in hand and bought this...

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/shark-reg-rotator-reg-powered-lift-away-reg-vacuum/3308206?categoryId=12244

Shark Vac by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Shark Vac by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

It was on sale when I was there at $250 and after the 20% coupon I ended up paying only $200 for it. It works great! I haven't vacuum for 2 weeks. I was surprised when I first turned it on, even without moving I could see it start to picks up stuff off the carpet. Although, I have to say that it can be a bit rough on long fiber carpet, it picking up loose carpet fibers. But the second time I used it everything seems to be fine now mostly just my cat hairs. And to be able to lift the motor unit out is a plus going into small spaces. Also, there's no burning fine dust smell out of the machine in the air. And a BIG plus for me is the powered brush that I can use to get cat hairs out of my sofa and etc.

So, yes I am happy with it. The only downside? I hate the design! It look like something out of the "Transfomers" movies. Anyway, thanks guys.

Take care,
Buddy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2018, 09:27 pm »
Wow, looks like you filled it to the brim. How messy is it to empty?

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2018, 10:49 pm »
Holy cow, are you a cat lady???? That's intense.

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2018, 12:42 am »
Wow, looks like you filled it to the brim. How messy is it to empty?

Hey!

It’s easy to empty it, just push the silver button at the bottom of the bin and the bottom will swing down. I use brush to brush off dust left on the flap before closing it back.

Holy cow, are you a cat lady???? That's intense.

No, just one cat :lol: But he is a walking exploding fur ball. Well, I did really put it through it paces to test it  after not vacuuming for 2 weeks. With my old vacuum cleaner I have to go over the carpet with stiff brush manually to get the stubborn cat hair that my old vacuum couldn’t get out. But not with this Shark vacuum cleaner.

Take care,
Buddy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2018, 02:03 am »
...he is a walking exploding fur ball.

:rotflmao:

Is that a new cat, or is that the one only Mr. Bubbles IIRC?

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2018, 10:52 am »
Hey Buddy:... man, that is furgemaddon!  The good thing about your shark is that it does not require bags like the Mieles.  I mean, looking at the loads of fur your picked up, with the Shark you have saved $$$$$ in the potential bags.  I mean, look at that man.  Jesus.   :green:

undertowogt1

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm »
I researched and was considering the same Shark you bought. Good choice, glad it works for you. My main concern was it had to be Bagless, the filter, and the suction. The shark fit the bill. I only went with meile because of the supposid reliability. Your shark does have a great feature though as it lifts out for stairs etc.

ohenry

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2018, 08:20 pm »
Buddy, don't feel badly about accumulating dirt.  I bought a Shark two years ago to augment the Miele canister to do the rugs in my house.  I bought one for my mom, was amazed and got one.  I was shocked when for the first few sessions how much dirt the Shark was picking up.  The Miele is a great vacuum, but when it comes to rugs/carpet, the Shark is the master. My only complaint is that the Shark is too high to fit beneath some furniture. 

I guess time will tell if the motor lasts, but so far it's a great vacuum value.

SET Man

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:05 pm »
:rotflmao:

Is that a new cat, or is that the one only Mr. Bubbles IIRC?

Hey!

No, is a new cat. I got him from one of NYC's animal shelter about 2 months after Mr. Bubbles past away, that was almost 8 years ago. He's also an orange tabby boy. He's not as clean or as nice as Mr. Bubbles, but I feel bad for him and he is not a bad cat beside that. I still missed Mr. Bubbles after all these years  :cry: Anyway, it is crazy how this chubby orange tabby can shed this much!!!!!

Hey Buddy:... man, that is furgemaddon!  The good thing about your shark is that it does not require bags like the Mieles.  I mean, looking at the loads of fur your picked up, with the Shark you have saved $$$$$ in the potential bags.  I mean, look at that man.  Jesus.   :green:

Yup, that's one of the reason why I want a bagless vacuum cleaner because I know I'll fill a bag up really quickly with this fur ball!

Buddy, don't feel badly about accumulating dirt.  I bought a Shark two years ago to augment the Miele canister to do the rugs in my house.  I bought one for my mom, was amazed and got one.  I was shocked when for the first few sessions how much dirt the Shark was picking up.  The Miele is a great vacuum, but when it comes to rugs/carpet, the Shark is the master. My only complaint is that the Shark is too high to fit beneath some furniture. 

I guess time will tell if the motor lasts, but so far it's a great vacuum value.

Yes, I was amazed too especially from a company that is not as famous as Miele or Dyson. It is a great value indeed especially considered how much I got it for. If I can get 5-7 years out of this one I'll be happy. Still not big on the looks though  :roll:

Take care,
Buddy.

FireGuy

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:50 pm »
I've posted this recommendation before.  My Dyson is going on 12 years +.   Maintenance is key ... all things mechanical... pay attention to its needs.  Like your car, bad things happen if you don't change the oil.  I will continue to use Dyson.

Brettio

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:48 am »
Until a month ago our main vacuum was a Dyson Ball Animal vacuum. It did a good job and I liked that it didn’t require bags.  The downside was that we needed to vacuum often to keep up with our constantly shedding dog.  It got to the point that my wife was vacuuming constantly as we’d find dog hair and dirt in corners, under beds, under furniture, etc..

About a month ago I bought my wife a Roomba 960 based on a conversation with a friend that has one (actually two, one for each floor) and loves them. I reluctantly bought one.  All I can say is that it has changed our lives.  Instead of coming home from work and vacuuming we’ve scheduled the floors to be cleaned a while we’re away.  When we arrive home at the end of the day each room is completely clean.    Corners are spotless, under the beds which were such a pain to move they rarely got vacuumed now get vacuumed daily.  The kids actually keep their floors clutter free now (read that as clothes, backpacks, etc picked up) so Roomba can vacuum their rooms.

There’s a lot of people much smarter than me on this site that may know of reasons not to have a Roomba, such as the government can watch me or hackers can train them to kill their master, etc. but until mine puts me a life threatening position I’m gonna continue to love this thing.  I highly recommend them (and no I don’t work for the irobot company).

Brett

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2018, 04:35 am »
Until a month ago our main vacuum was a Dyson Ball Animal vacuum.

About a month ago I bought my wife a Roomba 960

There’s a lot of people much smarter than me on this site that may know of reasons not to have a Roomba, such as the government can watch me or hackers can train them to kill their master, etc. but until mine puts me a life threatening position I’m gonna continue to love this thing.  I highly recommend them (and no I don’t work for the irobot company).

Brett,

:lol: Thanks for the laugh, and I’ll definitely keep the Roomba in mind.  :thumb:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jun 2018, 07:43 am »
Miele C1, or Roomba. If you go robot, pick up a Black & Decker Lion-powered compact for the couch and the car.

Get this type (pivot, cyclonic): Model No. HHVJ315JMF71 and another lower powered model a bit cheaper, but the 20V is well worth it.

Amazon USA:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BDH2000PL-Lithium-20-volt/dp/B00IOEFBKS?ref=ast_p_ei

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jun 2018, 07:56 am »
dp

Brettio

« Reply #35 on: 30 Jun 2018, 04:29 pm »
Brett,

:lol: Thanks for the laugh, and I’ll definitely keep the Roomba in mind.  :thumb:

We hear stories about how robots are going to take our jobs....this is one job we’ve gladly given up!  I’ll update on its reliability, which so far has been flawless. 

Brett

ohenry

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:53 pm »
Brett,

Robo suckers are nice if you live on one floor and have a small space.  They don't do stairs well, but it's fun watching them falling.  :D  And they really don't clean well.  I had three so far... 

Hell, just pay someone. 

Brettio

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:19 pm »
I agree about the stairs but other than that my experience is not close to yours ohenry.  Our Roomba is equipped with sensors so it’s never fallen from any of the three levels in our home.  And simply based on what I’m seeing it cleans as thoroughly as our dyson.  A weakness could be the capacity of the dustbin, but with the schedule it’s on that’s a non-issues for us.
Brett

Wig

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jul 2018, 04:40 pm »
If you are looking an outstanding vacuum with a 10 year warranty and cleans better than my previous big name vacuums handily; this is the vacuum I selected over the Rainbow, which is 8X more expensive. The refurb model will save you some money and has the same warranty.

https://www.sirenavacuum.com/products/sirena-recertified

Wig

who?me?

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jul 2018, 05:01 pm »
I got lucky and found a Miele at Goodwill.
Prior to that, I actually bought a refurbished Panasonic vacuum.
No, it doesn't play music as one vacuums.

But what that store owner taught me (he refurbs and resells vacuums) is that vacuums are very simple creatures with simple engines. Can be fixed very easily and resold.

.  Get the vacuum with the most power/Amps that you can afford. read how many Amps it has.
this is generally the biggest factor in a good vacuum. it is the difference b/w sucking up all the sh*t versus sucking up some of the sh*t.

.  Someone mentioned above how they see Dysons out on the street by the garbage.

.  Dyson are generally good vacuums, the issue per the vacuum mechanic was that small problems happen with the vacuums, and people dont realize they can be fixed easily. They put them out by the garbage b/c of the "disposable society" we have in the states. Use it till it drops, then just throw away and replace. .... this is how the mechanic made his living. He goes and picks up those Dysons on the street by the garbage, spends 3o minutes fixing them, then resells them.