DAC/Streamers

veloceleste

Re: DAC/Streamers
« Reply #40 on: 28 Aug 2019, 08:06 pm »
I would like to see something along the lines of the Innuous streamers/servers that connect to a Dac. The built in drive makes it backwards compatible for us who still want to  store physical media that we own.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #41 on: 28 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm »
I might bite if a combo had a true merger of BDA-3 and BDP-3, with equally low(er) jitter/noise specs, and the same massive capacities for external drive playbck (3x 2 TB and more). no loss of AES or SPDIF either, for connecting a CD transport. Make DSD playback happen thru AES too ( I'm dreaming  :icon_lol:).

As for streaming from currently available services like Tidal etc., I am just not interested. Until a service can provide access to the full classical music recording libraries of the major labels (DG, Decca, HM, etc etc), I view streaming as more of a sampling mode rather than a way to build a private musik library. Besides, why should I listen to streamed classical musik that I already have ripped from CDs over the past 25 yrs of collecting? Also, in most instances, streaming is a step down in SQ from playback thru a physical source disk, imho.

But if anyone can do it, Bryston can. Wait n see is my stance.

JT: any idea what the price tag would be on a combo with the above capabilities?

Cheers all.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 28 Aug 2019, 11:18 pm »
The combo of the BDA3 and the Pi would be about $4200 list.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 28 Aug 2019, 11:45 pm »
Ah...so it's the Pi, not the full BDP-3.  :duh:
Thanks.

docder

« Reply #44 on: 29 Aug 2019, 08:28 am »

As for streaming from currently available services like Tidal etc., I am just not interested. Until a service can provide access to the full classical music recording libraries of the major labels (DG, Decca, HM, etc etc), I view streaming as more of a sampling mode rather than a way to build a private musik library. Besides, why should I listen to streamed classical musik that I already have ripped from CDs over the past 25 yrs of collecting? Also, in most instances, streaming is a step down in SQ from playback thru a physical source disk, imho.

I listen to classical music most of the time and I can't cope with the amount of classical on Qobuz alone. And then there is Primephonic, classical only, which also has an endless stream of music and recordings new to me. After 55 years of listening to classical music I find I am extending my knowledge of it faster and deeper than ever via streaming. And once network foibles are sorted it sounds good too.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:50 am »
AS REQUESTED

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Introduces the BDA-3.14 Multi-Function Streaming DAC

August 2019

New DAC includes built-in music player, onboard digital volume control and updated user interface, creating a world class digital entertainment hub from Bryston with unparalleled performance

Bryston (bryston.com) has introduced the BDA-3.14 multi-function DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that adds an array of impressive features to the much heralded BDA-3 DAC platform. The BDA-3.14 delivers the performance and unmatched build quality that music aficionados have come to expect from Bryston. The BDA-3.14 will be available from Bryston dealers beginning Q4, 2019 and carry an MSRP of $4195 USD. 

The BDA-3.14 offers streaming capability via a built-in music player that delivers access to network-connected storage and USB drives as well as streaming services such as Qobuz, Tidal, Roon and Internet radio. Digital connectivity between the internal music player and the DAC is managed using the I2S protocol, a premium interface standard used for connecting digital audio devices together that preserves audio and clock data with virtually zero error. The BDA-3.14 also features a digital volume control, enabling users to drive an amplifier directly. An updated version of Bryston’s Manic Moose user interface for phones, tablets and computers provides users with intuitive control over all functionality.

Bryston DAC Technology

The multi-award-winning BDA-3 DAC can decode up to 384 kHz/32-bit PCM music and up to DSDx4 natively. Each format is processed in its native resolution, preserving absolute bit-perfect signals all the way to the analog outputs. Additionally, Bryston’s ultra-precise re-clocking circuit reduces jitter to nearly unmeasurable levels. Bryston’s proprietary analog section is completely free of integrated circuits (ICs) that limit the bandwidth and dynamic range of so many competitive DACs. For maximum flexibility, the BDA-3 has an astonishing ten discrete inputs including four 2-channel HDMI, asynchronous USB, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, and digital coax. It also includes Bryston’s network module, which facilitates control via TCP/IP and RS-232—a must for integration with modern smart home platforms.

“Bryston is excited to be able to deliver the exceptionally high performance of our digital music player and our DAC merged into a single chassis solution,” stated Gary Dayton, VP of Sales & Marketing at Bryston. “Now music enthusiasts can enjoy a sleek, easy-to-use ultimate performance streamer/DAC combo as centerpiece of their digital entertainment system.”

PLEASE VISIT BRYSTON AT RMAF 2019, Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center 4th floor Presidential suite, Room 4-105

DOWNLOAD IMAGES HERE

schmidtmike76

« Reply #46 on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:57 am »
Congratulations Bryston!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:28 pm »
I listen to classical music most of the time and I can't cope with the amount of classical on Qobuz alone. And then there is Primephonic, classical only, which also has an endless stream of music and recordings new to me. After 55 years of listening to classical music I find I am extending my knowledge of it faster and deeper than ever via streaming. And once network foibles are sorted it sounds good too.

Thanks for this info. Still prefer hard drive playback from an owned library.
Cheers

NHSkier

« Reply #48 on: 29 Aug 2019, 05:43 pm »
The product I've been waiting for!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #49 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:12 pm »

Cool, James! Waiting for more integrated products :thumb: it just makes sense.

al.

zoom25

« Reply #50 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:43 pm »
Awesome news!

1) Will the remote control be included?

2) How many tracks in the local library can this model support?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #51 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:58 pm »
How about a BDA-3 DAC combined with a PI digital player/streamer in a single chassis?

james

What are the differences between a PI player and a BDP-3? Would there be a sound quality difference? Why not combine the BDP-3 and BDA-3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2019, 07:02 pm »
What are the differences between a PI player and a BDP-3? Would there be a sound quality difference? Why not combine the BDP-3 and BDA-3?

Hi,

It would be much more expensive with the BDP-3 Player

Differences I can think of with the BDP-3:
1. Display
2. Much more capable processor speed

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #53 on: 29 Aug 2019, 07:23 pm »
Do you mean the display on the front of the unit itself? That's probably not much of an issue for most, since we're using a remote device to control it.

That just leaves speed, which really just amounts to how fast the player can display/index music, and time to start up from powered off?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2019, 09:18 pm »
Hi,

It would be much more expensive with the BDP-3 Player

Differences I can think of with the BDP-3:
1. Display
2. Much more capable processor speed

james

Was there an IAD inside BDP-3?
Or Was it discontinued when the Pi came along?

drummermitchell

« Reply #55 on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:24 pm »
 I seem to recall a volume control was a no no with dacs,noise ect.
Did something happen in the last yr or two where there is no noise :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:27 pm »
I seem to recall a volume control was a no no with dacs,noise ect.
Did something happen in the last yr or two where there is no noise :scratch:

Hi

Yes the higher bit rate DAC's allow for much better signal to noise if using a digital control. 

The Volume control can be turned on and off if using a preamp.

james

pdkm

« Reply #57 on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:28 pm »
That's a great product name :)

Pundamilia

« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2019, 03:05 am »
I'm sure that it was as easy as pi(e) to come up with that name! :P :oops: :lol:

Grant Hill

« Reply #59 on: 30 Aug 2019, 11:36 am »
Hello James, is it possible to update BDA3 to this? how much will it be the cost in case?