The SuperSwarm: 16 Hz multisub system

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
The SuperSwarm: 16 Hz multisub system
« on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:17 am »
A few of months ago a customer contacted me about doing a Swarm that would go deeper than normal.  It took me a while to come up with a design that would combine inverse-room-gain tuning with sufficient extension and fairly high output in a small footprint, but here we go:

The finish is a wrinkle-textured paint, and ended up being a lot more time-consuming than I realized it would be, so I probably won't be doing that again without tacking on a substantial upcharge.  But you can see the general configuration.  The footprint is a 13" square, and the height is 30" not counting the feet.  At the moment I have rubber feet installed so that it's fairly easy to move around, but they can be replaced with spikes. 

One of the challenges from a design perspective was incorporating port tubes long enough to tune to 17 Hz or so, and large enough in diameter not to chuff at high levels.  I'm using two very long 2" diameter flared ports (by Precision Sound Products), as you can see here:

I'll say that the system goes very deep and is very solid.  It is the best subwoofer system I've built, but then it should be because it's the biggest and most expensive.   I really don't have any recordings that test the theoretical 16 Hz (-3 dB) in-room extension, but it sounds pretty good on more mainstream stuff.  This set is going to my customer but my wife tells me she wants a set for us, which is usually a good sign.

The $3600 (plus shipping) price applies to Oak veneer (you choice of stain); other finishes or something unusual like this paint job will be more expensive.  Price includes four subs and kilowatt shelf-mount subwoofer amp (which has variable 4th order lowpass and fixed 80 Hz 2nd order highpass filters and a single band of parametric EQ if needed.  I normally don't use the EQ or the highpass filter, but they're there if you need 'em). 
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2012, 05:08 am by Duke »