Doubling driver magnet?

zygadr

Doubling driver magnet?
« on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:13 am »
Hi Guys, does anyone know or had experience with adding a second donut type or an array of disc neodymium magnets to a driver?..................any improvement: sensitivity?etc........

Mr Content

Re: Doubling driver magnet?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:54 am »
Well, its a bit of an unknown quantity if you are starting to play with any driver. It has been designed around certain electrical and mechanical prpoerties, and its damping and "Q" is mostly determined by the size and strength of the magnet. If you increase the strength of the magnet, you increase the damping and lower the Q of the driver.

In theory, a small increase in the magnet could be beneficial, but thats only in theory. You could presume that if you get the increase just right, you may have better bass response from the driver, but if you over damp it then bass output will drop.

There are a couple of other issues, but I suppose if you were talking about the Redback driver, they are cheap enough to have a play with. :thumb:

Mr C

zygadr

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:10 am »
Thanks Mr C :thumb:

I realise that this can be like opening up a can of worms, so if I get hold of some magnets at a reasonable price, I might give it a go.

grantnsw

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:41 pm »
Troels G adds em