The Concert DVD/BR thread

Mag

Re: The Concert DVD/BR thread
« Reply #160 on: 8 Apr 2020, 06:17 pm »
Listening to Chili Peppers Live at Slane Castle. My Ex-girlfriend usually listened to this concert dvd and I got to like it, even went to their Concert when they were here.  Also have Chili Peppers- Off the Map dvd, which is also very good, perhaps a more refined performance and slightly faster tempo. Both are very good recordings but Slane Castle makes me think of my time with her.

joeapes_syf

« Reply #161 on: 26 May 2020, 01:24 pm »
Love collecting concert films! Got started off with the Grateful Dead boxset...All the Years Combine. My favorite in the series is Downhill From Here, nothing like Brent Mydland vocals or keys.

My other Top 3 are as follows in no particular order:

1) Dave Chappelle's Block Party
2) The Band's Last Waltz
3) Led Zeppelin

Also shout out to the Boiler Room youtube series particularly Mala London https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkgik4edDpY&t=3357s

Mag

« Reply #162 on: 18 Jun 2020, 08:25 am »
Gov't Mule- Bring on the Music, blu ray, April 2018
Audio: Excellent, pcm stereo, Dolby True Digital, dts HD 5.1
Video: Excellent, camera editing good doesn't change angles in 2 seconds or less.
Performance: excellent
Genre: Blues Rock
Rating: 4 out 5

Comments: A well made blu ray concert. I however was disappointed with the setlist. Like I have Gov't Mule CD, so I was hoping for similar instead the concert started slow and didn't pick up steam until halfway through. Band has a good sound to them and I would compare their sound to ZZ Top.

Eric Clapton- Live in San Diego with special guest JJ Cale, blu ray, recorded March 15 , 2007
Audio: Excellent, pcm stero, dts HD master audio 5.1
Video: Excellent
Performance: Excellent
Genre: Blues Rock
Rating: 5 out of 5

Comments: a well produced concert video. Not my taste in music but relaxing to listen to with a mix of JJ Cale songs and I'm guessing Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton.

Kansas- There's No Place Like Home, blu ray 35th Anniversary 2009, with orchestra
Audio: Outstanding, Dolby Digital stereo/5.1, pcm stereo 24/48, pcm 5.1
Genre: progressive rock

Comments: I have Kansas dvd where they play some really good Hard Rock. This setlist did nothing for me, too much lyric or poetry content, not my style.

Mag

« Reply #163 on: 19 Jun 2020, 07:49 am »
Michael Schenker- Temple of Rock, Blu ray, May 13 2012
Audio: Excellent, Lpcm stereo, dts HD Master 5.1
Genre: hard rock
Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5

Comments: Concert opens in an intimate venue on a smallish stage with a NO Non-sense Rock setlist from beginning to end. However songs IMO lack a little in creative riffs, thus I felt the concert a little tedious to listen to the end. I would describe Michael Schenker's guitar style as a shredder.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #164 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:08 am »
Video: Excellent, camera editing good doesn't change angles in 2 seconds or less.
Well said, this is one of the reasons there is no more TV set in my home.

Mag

« Reply #165 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:59 am »
Well said, this is one of the reasons there is no more TV set in my home.

I will certainly mention if editing is a hack job and I have a few. I am more likely not going to post 'em and/or other bad blu ray recordings that I would give a bad rating.

Mag

« Reply #166 on: 19 Jun 2020, 10:19 am »
DGM- Passing Stages, blu ray, Live in Milan 2016, Live in Atlanta 2013, 2017 release
Audio: Excellent, Dolby Digital 2.0 mpeg
Genre: progressive metal/power rock

Comment: Music is hard and fast rock from beginning to end but not rank. For those who have never heard the band I would say their sound is similar to Dream Theater or Statovarius. Of the two concerts I preferred Atlanta.

Mag

« Reply #167 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:05 pm »
Blue Oyster Cult- iHeart Radio Theater N.Y.C. 2012, blu ray
Audio: Excellent, Lpcm stereo, Dolby 5.1
Video: picture quality is excellent, camera editing a hack job
Performance: Good, not their best
Genre: Hard Rock
Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Comment: Listened in Lpcm, band had 'you are there sound' of a Night Club. Camera editing changes constantly usually under 2 seconds, however on a guitar solo camera actually stayed on the guitar player for awhile. Anyway I switched my TV to Cable TV and just listened to the concert.
Setlist was okay, some songs I hadn't heard, would have like 'Then Came the Last Days in May' included. Band seemed to lack enthusiasm that I seen in another concert video.

Carlman

« Reply #168 on: 29 Oct 2021, 01:49 pm »
I read through all 9 pages of this and didn't see my all time favorite Blu-Ray concert, Foo Fighters: Live At Wembley Stadium from 2008.
Rating 6 out of 5: mathematically impossible to relay how awesome this concert is in my sound room ;)

It is really difficult to find good recordings (on Bluray) of modern artists.  I have a great concert of Ben Folds on 54th but it's regular DVD... and sounds ok to be honest.. but nothing like BR.
I like Radiohead, Modest Mouse, NIN, Dave Matthews, and what used to be 'alternative'... and less classic rock.  I have most of the classic rock I want covered.
I would really be interested to hear a new group produce something fantastic and live... but I don't know if that exists. (yet) 

A couple more I like:
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall
Rating: 4 out of 5 overall - the excessive noodling on some songs annoy me a little.  Otherwise, great quality and performance.. really 4.5 out of 5.

The King Of Limbs: Live From The Basement
Rating 5 out of 5 - Unique in that this isn't so much a concert but a behind the scenes look at the recording of TKOL, one of my favorite albums.

If anyone has more suggestions for alternative or newer blu-ray concerts, I'm interested.... I like a good performance with no nonsense and great SQ.

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver and BR player this Christmas.  I have a 15-yr-old Onkyo that's OK but I would think things might have improved since 2005.  Panasonic makes a UP9000 that might serve as a CD transport for me as well.  I've got about 6 Blu-ray concerts on my wishlist now... but not much alternative or modern yet.. (Is U2 really 'alternative'?)

911jason

« Reply #169 on: 31 Mar 2022, 01:41 am »
Pulled out that Foo Fighters disk to watch it today after Taylor's passing last week. Phenomenal disk!

Have you checked out INXS: Live Baby Live? It's available in 4k digitally or on Blu-ray with an Atmos soundtrack. Originally filmed in the summer of '91 on 35mm, the restoration is mind blowing. Looks and sounds absolutely fantastic!

ThePriest

• 101010 = 2A
« Reply #170 on: 31 Mar 2022, 10:09 am »
Love the suggestions in this thread!

Peter Gabriel 'Secret World Live' has been a long favourite of mine, so second that.  It seems that I should get my hands on the 'Growing up' concert.
Also Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds 'Live at Radio City..'

I don't think that Stings '...all this time' concert from 2001 has been mentioned yet.
A beautiful concert, set in his home in Toscana, featuring Chris Botti, Manu Katché, Christian McBride and others.
The concert was scheduled for september 11, 2001. The rest is history, as they say.
The disc is part concert, part documentary. It is of course possible to watch the concert without the documentary.

/ThePriest

Carlman

« Reply #171 on: 2 Apr 2022, 06:13 pm »
Pulled out that Foo Fighters disk to watch it today after Taylor's passing last week. Phenomenal disk!

Have you checked out INXS: Live Baby Live? It's available in 4k digitally or on Blu-ray with an Atmos soundtrack. Originally filmed in the summer of '91 on 35mm, the restoration is mind blowing. Looks and sounds absolutely fantastic!

Really sad about Taylor.. wife and I had concert tickets in May.

Thanks for the INXS recommendation, I will be checking that out for sure. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #172 on: 2 Apr 2022, 07:29 pm »
If anyone is a fan of metal/prog sound, I highly recommend Between The Buried And Me playing their Coma Ecliptic album in its entirety at a show back in 2017. Extremely well recorded DVD, and seeing the drummer actually play some of that is just mind-boggling. Definitely one to play at a LOUD volume.  :thumb:

I know it's up on YT, but there's actual good copies on PirateBay if you're the nefarious type.