Outlaw Partial Open Baffle

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Outlaw Partial Open Baffle
« Reply #40 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:52 pm »
Ha, he's making fun of people asking for reviews jelly = jealous.  :green:

I've had bipoles in the past and 3' from the back wall is a minimum with more being better. I don't think 5.5' is a requirement but probably is close to optimal.

happyrabbit

« Reply #41 on: 2 Aug 2014, 10:28 pm »
DaveC113  :green:  lol

Canada BOB - 2A3 SE with EML Tubes.     I haven't listened to my SS Class A amp yet. 

new update to the layout  - 3' from the left wall and 4' from the back wall.  Speakers are 7' apart and listening position is roughly 7' - 8' ( center line from the speaker plane )

opnly bafld- Thanks for the insight

Dwight

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #42 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:05 pm »
Looks like your kitty wants the sweet spot, too!   :lol:

.........Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 3 Aug 2014, 12:23 am »
Ha, he's making fun of people asking for reviews jelly = jealous.  :green:

I've had bipoles in the past and 3' from the back wall is a minimum with more being better. I don't think 5.5' is a requirement but probably is close to optimal.
Thanks Dave, for letting me in on the language of the modern english speaking world.

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2014, 11:45 pm by Canada Rob »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 3 Aug 2014, 12:29 am »

Canada BOB - 2A3 SE with EML Tubes.     I haven't listened to my SS Class A amp yet. 

new update to the layout  - 3' from the left wall and 4' from the back wall.  Speakers are 7' apart and listening position is roughly 7' - 8' ( center line from the speaker plane )

Dwight
Very cool rig Dwight.

FireGuy

« Reply #45 on: 3 Aug 2014, 12:39 am »
What amp are you currently running them with?  Please explain "Super Jelly".  Louis' speakers have always reminded me of things that are very solid, like concrete.

Arrrrrgggg.  How do they sound?????

milford3

« Reply #46 on: 7 Aug 2014, 11:50 pm »
Here they are  :green:

Dwight

HappyRabbit, we need a report on the Outlaw 1.5  Please!

Guy 13

« Reply #47 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:39 am »
Hey Brad

My point is that Louis would add more credibility to his speaker company if he would post measurements of the finished speakers and/or the driver measurements using industry standards similar to what Eminence does:

Multiple units exceed published rating evaluated under EIA 426A noise source and test standard while in a free-air, non-temperature controlled environment.
The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1M into the nominal impedance. Ie: 2.83V/8ohms, 4V/16ohms.
Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1w/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25” supplied microphone (software
calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2ft. X 2ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu.ft. chamber with
fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges).

The only measurements I've seen on his webpage was for the DIY 7F and 7A drivers, no longer available.

I don't get the whole "proprietary" mystique that some manufacturers use. What are you trying to hide after all. More transparency would be welcome!

Regarding where they are made, I'm almost 100% sure it is made in the USA. The 7A driver that I had didn't show the manufacture country of origin. Whats the big secret? Who makes it? It would show credibility if we knew whether it was Mepco, Eminence, etc. If its made in the USA then exploit that with transparency and get ABC news Diane Sawyer to do a special news piece on it like they have been doing for they past year or so! You can do this AND maintain your proprietary and intellectual rights IMO.

Anyway I'm done with this and won't post any more about it. Sorry if I pissed everybody off.

gab

Hi gab.
Browsing thru old posts, doing so catch up and found your post.
I Just finished reading it and I agree 100% with you.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:42 am »
Here they are  :green:

Dwight

Hi happyrabbit.
Nice set up.
Is the cage on the right side of the picture for rabbits ???
Or maybe for a big doggy ?
Any pictures of the four legged hairy thing ???

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #49 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:44 am »

Dwight

Hi happyrabbit.
Do you have rabbits as well as cat.
I thought I saw a putty cat ? (Famous words from tweety bird...)

Guy 13

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #50 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:02 am »
deleted

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2014, 10:57 am by opnly bafld »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:32 am »
HappyRabbit, we need a report on the Outlaw 1.5  Please!

Maybe he is too busy listening.  :banana piano: :violin: :drums: :guitar:

:green:

Louis O

« Reply #52 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:47 pm »
Hi All many thanks for your posts.

Sorry for the late post here, but many thanks to Happy Rabbit for posting the new Open Back. They sure look great in your room and the pictures are excellent.

Looking to expand this open back line as well.

Many thanks for everyone's support and Guy 13's last 3 posts are way to absurd to comment on.

Thanks again,
Louis

happyrabbit

« Reply #53 on: 9 Aug 2014, 02:36 am »
Milford3 + Firedude - I will report soon.

Opnly bafld -   Ha !   You are right..   The speakers are now 5' from the front wall.

Dwight

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #54 on: 9 Aug 2014, 11:05 am »
Hey Brad

My point is that Louis would add more credibility to his speaker company if he would post measurements of the finished speakers and/or the driver measurements using industry standards similar to what Eminence does:

Multiple units exceed published rating evaluated under EIA 426A noise source and test standard while in a free-air, non-temperature controlled environment.
The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1M into the nominal impedance. Ie: 2.83V/8ohms, 4V/16ohms.
Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1w/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25” supplied microphone (software
calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2ft. X 2ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu.ft. chamber with
fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges).

The only measurements I've seen on his webpage was for the DIY 7F and 7A drivers, no longer available.

I don't get the whole "proprietary" mystique that some manufacturers use. What are you trying to hide after all. More transparency would be welcome!

Regarding where they are made, I'm almost 100% sure it is made in the USA. The 7A driver that I had didn't show the manufacture country of origin. Whats the big secret? Who makes it? It would show credibility if we knew whether it was Mepco, Eminence, etc. If its made in the USA then exploit that with transparency and get ABC news Diane Sawyer to do a special news piece on it like they have been doing for they past year or so! You can do this AND maintain your proprietary and intellectual rights IMO.

Anyway I'm done with this and won't post any more about it. Sorry if I pissed everybody off.

gab

Good point, but you could go on and ask why doesn't Omega do a better job of marketing (shows, tours, reviews, interviews, postings here, even retail).  My guess is that the answer is Omega is a one man show, Louis wants to keep it that way, and he's already at his production limits.  I support his efforts to offer good value in the single driver format, but this kind of success could be a dead-end.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #55 on: 9 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm »
JLM ~ others  :nono:

This is a thread about happyrabbit's new speakers  :thumb: , not your personal issues  :cry: .

Lin

Edit: Adding what I deleted earlier to clarify Louis' post below. 

The village idiots post about things they have no knowledge of and is none of their business.
Two have never even owned/heard Omega speakers.

Not word for word, but same basic thoughts.

« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2014, 03:52 pm by opnly bafld »

Louis O

« Reply #56 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:16 pm »
Hi opnly bafld,

Many thanks and I appreciate all the support by everyone here, this means the most to me. I did see your previous/first post and gave me inspiration to write my post.

You are correct in everything you wrote and there is a major agenda going on. The hi jacking of threads is an attempt by people that have never owned or Heard Omega speakers to somehow hurt my business. I take this seriously and will look into my options.

To say that they haven't a clue is an understatement. I put up a new design and here we go again with the same old same old.

It may stem from the DIY who knows. DIY is done and will never come back. One had a major influence on that decision, but not all.

I have never sold, worked with, or had any dealings with any of them on completed Omega Speakers. None to my knowledge even has heard Omega Speakers especially any of the current models.

Anyone who knows me would tell you I encourage constructive criticism. There's no egos here. Getting Rob on board is was a major move to help with the AC, Website and the Speaker Store. Soon we will have the shopping cart set up. 

Learned some lessons and going full steam ahead with OutLaw's and 1.5 ways. I'm in no way at my production limits. This is an asinine thing to say and you haven't a clue about anything regarding Omega.

Thanks again,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #57 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:26 pm »
I agree with opnly bafld... (and posted simultaneously w /Louis)

JLM... Some of what you, G13 and gab have posted shows a lack of respect. Do you know how the saying "it's none of your business" came about? I don't... but I can imagine it was the result of people who have the same attitude you do.

I'm not sure how the speculation here is helping anything or contributing to a discussion ANYONE wants to have. In fact the opposite.

As far as shows, marketing and advertising... All that does is take away from what's really important anyway. Most people don't get involved in a business they are passionate about in order to kick ass at marketing, they do it because they actually want to build speakers, or whatever they are doing. I hope one day ZenWave is well known enough that marketing is optional because that's not what I want to do. When I have to work on my website, etc... it just takes away from work I actually want to be doing on my products.

Louis O

« Reply #58 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:36 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Very well said and I agree.

ZenWave will be and the product shows your passion. They are in my system and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again,
Louis

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #59 on: 9 Aug 2014, 07:02 pm »
Why all the effort to take the fun out of such a totally satisfying and immersive hobby? 

I buy and sell my equipment all the time.  Rarely do I have any piece more than two years.  And I mean everything.  Amps, integrateds, speakers, turntables, dacs, preamps, everything.  I love matching different pieces, listening for the nuances of how equipment sounds and feels together.  I've had systems fall flat, and I've had combinations borderline on nirvana, but guess what?  I sold them!  The good, the great, the bad and everything in-between.  For me it's a terrific time. 

That's why I put my money where my mouth is.  I want to know what these Outlaw partial open baffles sound like in my living room, period.  So I ordered a pair and Louis is working on them now.  I can't wait to get them into my system.  If I don't like them after a thousand hours or so of listening, so what.  I'll sell them and someone else can see if they fit their liking.  And even if I don't like them, it doesn't mean the speakers aren't good speakers, it's how they fit into what I've provided them to perform with and how my ears perceive what is "good".  Hell, I'll probably sell them anyway after a couple years even if I'm smitten with them!  That's how I play my audio hobby.  Christ, it's not like we're spending a million bucks here.  I get them, hand made in America, in a beautiful furniture quality cherry finish for what, $1700+/-?  Try and find a nice piece of furniture hand made in the US for that.

But before I can fairly and accurately judge the speakers, I'm going to try at least three different amps with them.  Not just one and assume they aren't good speakers.  That's not fair.  We've all had great speakers not shine even with great amps.  Pairing is key and the fun is putting together the pieces that bring it all together.

Then of course, you sell everything and start again. 

I will post my impressions here so you guys can get another perspective.