Advice Needed - Buzzing

CraigS720

Advice Needed - Buzzing
« on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:51 am »
I decided to take the plunge and have some great sound in my office. I fully recognize this is a somewhat bizarre setup but what the hell :-)

I come out of my iMac into a VPH-1 headphone amp. I then come out of the amp through the loop out to a Pass Aleph 2 driving a pair of Rogers LS35As. The sound is great except there is a constant buzz out of both speakers even when the volume on the iMac is turned completely down.

Thoughts? solutions?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

CIAudio

Re: Advice Needed - Buzzing
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:17 am »
Do you also hear the buzz through the headphones?

Do you have buzz without the VHP-1 in the system? (straight from iMac to amp).

CraigS720

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2011, 09:16 pm »
I have the buzzing through the headphones as well. However, when I remove the loop out cables to the Pass Aleph amplifier the buzzing goes away. A ground loop possibly?

Craig

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:35 am »
Are you using the stock power supply or VAC-1?

CraigS720

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2011, 10:43 am »
VAC-1

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2011, 03:56 pm »
You'll need to call me so I can help you sort it out. It sounds like your amp has the signal ground and power supply ground tied together.
I won't be able to help right away as I'm out on vacation until the 1st.

CraigS720

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2011, 08:20 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know that my problem is solved. Dusty spent quite a bit time with me on the phone finally getting to the root of the buzzing - a ground loop between my iMac and VPH-1.

You should know that Dusty was extremely patient working through the various potential solutions, hanging on the phone while I rebooted my Mac multiple times. What customer service and what a complete gentleman! I always enjoyed his products, but backed up with that kind of customer service makes them unbeatable. Even enjoyed a long chat about the state of the audio business!

Thanks again to Dusty and all those who took the time to help me out with my problem.

Craig