1oldguy

Re: Phono Stage
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2010, 11:45 pm »
So what did you end up with?

Still Working on that. :o

Stu Pitt

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:06 am »
I thought I posted this, but apparently not...

The internal MM stage as is good as any I've heard for the same price, and more.  IMO it takes the Dyanvector P75 mkII to better it.  That's $780 last I checked.  Add about $150 or so for a good set of interconnects if you need those too. 

The P75 is very flexible.  It'll handle pretty much any cartridge out there.   They sell for decent prices on Audiogon, but there's usually about 2 or 3 listed at a time.

It's heresy around here, but the Simaudio LP3 is a great phono stage too.  I think it's about $550, plus cables.  A little different than Bryston's internal MM, it's the definitive external phono stage at that price IMO.  I'd take Bryston's internal MM over it, but it's more flexible with carts. 

1oldguy

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:06 pm »
I've just placed the order officially.BP1.5 it is.Thanks for the help guys. :wink:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
good choice, Oldguy!

al.

1oldguy

« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:58 pm »
Thanks....I decided that I wanted the long term flexibility upfront.If and when Bryston release  another preamp I won't be paying for a Phono section I'll no longer be able to use and ultimately having to pay for another internal Phono Stage.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:04 pm »
I've just placed the order officially.BP1.5 it is.Thanks for the help guys. :wink:

Cool. You're gonna love it! Now enjoy your vinyl!

1oldguy

« Reply #28 on: 17 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm »
Cool. You're gonna love it! Now enjoy your vinyl!

Hi VD.....LOl Somehow that does sound quite right.Please forgive the NFLD humor. :wink:
That won't be for a little while since I don't have a quality TT and a bit weary of using my Sony TT any longer.
I figured to get alll my Bryston kit at once and be done with it.One I get that paid off then comes the TT so it works out since I'll have a lot of time to really narrow down the table I'll be going with.

Thank-you for the kind wishes.
1OLDGUY 8)

BrysTony

« Reply #30 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:16 am »
Stop ,Look ,Listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqDWlNlwkQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFEZvlukEY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82QSCKnFQY&feature=related

I liked the youtube clips.  I have about 400 LPs that I bought between 1964 and 1984 -- at that time I switched over to CD and although I always had a turntable in my system, playing an LP was a rarity up until about 6 months ago.  I have been playing some of those old records and am just astounded at how good the sound is.  I have not upgraded the components yet but it is on the list.  I am using an old Dual 1229 TT, Shure V cartridge and a Rotel RQ990BX Phono Stage.  A BP 1.5 is on the wish list.

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 18 Aug 2010, 05:27 am »
Hi VD.....LOl Somehow that does sound quite right.Please forgive the NFLD humor. :wink:
That won't be for a little while since I don't have a quality TT and a bit weary of using my Sony TT any longer.
I figured to get alll my Bryston kit at once and be done with it.One I get that paid off then comes the TT so it works out since I'll have a lot of time to really narrow down the table I'll be going with.

Thank-you for the kind wishes.
1OLDGUY 8)

I see. You're welcome. Good luck!

1oldguy

95Dyna

« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:02 pm »
I liked the youtube clips.  I have about 400 LPs that I bought between 1964 and 1984 -- at that time I switched over to CD and although I always had a turntable in my system, playing an LP was a rarity up until about 6 months ago.  I have been playing some of those old records and am just astounded at how good the sound is.  I have not upgraded the components yet but it is on the list.  I am using an old Dual 1229 TT, Shure V cartridge and a Rotel RQ990BX Phono Stage.  A BP 1.5 is on the wish list.

Hi Brystony,

My experience is identical to yours right down to the dates and the quantity of records.  After installing my 7B's and BP26 last year I bought a new VPI Classic with Benz Wood SL and an external phono stage to replace my 35 year old Thorens TD160/Signet TK6E combo.  I also bought the HW16.5 cleaning machine from VPI.  After cleanng up and playing these records I just can't believe how good they sound.  I'm talking blow your socks off good.  My shiny new Esoteric X-05 SACD player has been sitting idle for several weeks now.  I feel as if I got 400 new pieces of software free of charge with this purchase.  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 18 Aug 2010, 06:45 pm »
Hi Brystony,

My experience is identical to yours right down to the dates and the quantity of records.  After installing my 7B's and BP26 last year I bought a new VPI Classic with Benz Wood SL and an external phono stage to replace my 35 year old Thorens TD160/Signet TK6E combo.  I also bought the HW16.5 cleaning machine from VPI.  After cleanng up and playing these records I just can't believe how good they sound.  I'm talking blow your socks off good.  My shiny new Esoteric X-05 SACD player has been sitting idle for several weeks now.  I feel as if I got 400 new pieces of software free of charge with this purchase.  :thumb:

Nice system. I have a few questions. Does your record cleaning machine actually work? And how so? Does it get rid of surface noise?

BrysTony

« Reply #35 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:34 pm »
Hi Brystony,

I guess it is guys like us that are a factor in driving the resurgence of vinyl but it is interesting to see young people "discovering" it.  That is a nice setup you have put together.  I am also interested in what you think of the VPI HW 16.5 cleaning machine.
Tony

95Dyna

« Reply #36 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:43 pm »
Nice system. I have a few questions. Does your record cleaning machine actually work? And how so? Does it get rid of surface noise?

Hi vegas,

It has a motor, turntable platter with cork mat and a vacuum tube that swivels about 90 degrees.  You place the record on the platter, secure it with a hard rubber clamp (looks more like an oversized nut), turn on the platter and while its rotating you apply solution while applying a handheld brush.  The brush will distribute the solution evenly across the record.  After a couple revolutions set the brush down and swing the vacuum tube over the record and hit the switch to turn the vacuum on for 2 revolutions and you're done.  At this point the record is dry and static free and ready to play.  Works great and removes all grease, dirt, grime and dust but won't fix permanent scratches or imperfection in the vinyl so no, it won't remove all noise but will greatly reduce it.  There are more sophisticated completely automatic machines that do both sides at once but you can pay a couple k bucks for them.  The VPI 16.5 sits on the sweet spot from a price performance standpoint at $550.00 list.

VOLKS

« Reply #37 on: 18 Aug 2010, 09:06 pm »
I have the vpi 16.5 as well.Build quality
Is solid and it certainly gets the job done.

wywires

« Reply #38 on: 18 Aug 2010, 09:50 pm »
I've had my VPI 16.5 since 1999 and I believe I paid around $400. It does a very effective job of cleaning the LPs and yes they do sound significantly better clean. I'm not just talking about dust and dirt and the attendant noise. I think styli will last lots longer if they only play clean records. Be sure to use the VPI cleaning fluid. It comes in a concentrated form and you mix it with one gallon of distilled water. I add a pint or so into a spray bottle to apply liberally to the records and use the supplied brush.

Very Highly Recommended!

vegasdave

« Reply #39 on: 20 Aug 2010, 11:18 pm »
Hi vegas,

It has a motor, turntable platter with cork mat and a vacuum tube that swivels about 90 degrees.  You place the record on the platter, secure it with a hard rubber clamp (looks more like an oversized nut), turn on the platter and while its rotating you apply solution while applying a handheld brush.  The brush will distribute the solution evenly across the record.  After a couple revolutions set the brush down and swing the vacuum tube over the record and hit the switch to turn the vacuum on for 2 revolutions and you're done.  At this point the record is dry and static free and ready to play.  Works great and removes all grease, dirt, grime and dust but won't fix permanent scratches or imperfection in the vinyl so no, it won't remove all noise but will greatly reduce it.  There are more sophisticated completely automatic machines that do both sides at once but you can pay a couple k bucks for them.  The VPI 16.5 sits on the sweet spot from a price performance standpoint at $550.00 list.

Cool. Thanks to all of you for the info. As long as it works as advertised, then I'm alright with it.   8)