New member introduction

mflaming

New member introduction
« on: 30 Jan 2021, 02:49 pm »
Hi, I'm very new to the DIY audio world and have just completed my first build of the X-LS. They are (un)finished in raw MDF with a coat of sanding sealer. I wanted to get some experience building before moving to the ultimate goal of some nicely veneered SLS floor standers. While the MDF dust was making a mess of my garage, I went ahead with building a sealed sub cabinet - which is currently an unfunded project I'll have to get to it a little later.

My system is very modest compared to what I've seen here, just a simple Onkyo integrated, CD player and 20 yr old Rega turntable. No $2k DAC or anything. Streaming is from an Arylic wifi/bluetooth preamp.

Even on this very low end of the cost spectrum, with the base crossover, I'm getting great performance at a low cost. Under $300 in the pair as built. The sound at first seemed overly bright on the high end and very lacking in bass. However, after a week of use, this has really leveled out. I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to "break-in", but I'm a believer now. My previous speakers were lacking in any sort of soundstage, and now that I've got a taste of what can be done, I have to say I'm hooked. They are currently in use as a 2.0 home theater (if you would even consider it HT) and I pull them out into the room a bit on stands for music.

I'm really having some fun in this new to me world - thanks to all those who have given and shared knowledge. I used Peter's joinery layout and really benefited from his youtube videos. Hoping to build my SLS project half as nice as what Peter, Mike and others are able to build. Also, if you're new like me, all of Danny's videos are must see - I've learned a ton from those.

Well, time to head back to the workshop...
Mike - Fort Worth

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:20 am »
Very nice! And welcome to AC!  :thumb:
I'm digging the raw MDF look! It really stands out!

I'm surprised you though that your speakers sounded bright at first, but i also remembered gave mine about 50-60hrs to break in with continuous "brown noise" while burried under lots of clothes, pillows & heavy blankets before I really did any listening with them..  :lol:

But im glad you're really enjoying them & seeing what they're really capable of, even at $300!  :thumb:

If you ever want to take these to another level in the future, upgrading to tube connectors. They add so much more clarity & detail that it honestly caught me by surprise, and I set it up to have fun with A/B comparisons, even tho I also have the base crossover.
(You can also check out my building thread that also talks about my upgrades to it, my Rythmik L12 upgrades, as well as my thoughts on the speaker cable kits!)
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170887.0

And if youre considering Danny's DIY speaker cables, they add a lot to the overall depth & soundstage, I highly recommend them as well!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2021, 04:05 am »
Hi Mike,

When I built my LGK 1.0 desktop monitors I couldn't wait to hear what they sounded like so I wired them up before doing anything to the MDF, not even sanding sealer. They stayed that way for three years. I didn't want to take them out of the system long enough to finish them.

While high end systems are nice, modest systems can provide a ton of enjoyment, with the right components and the X-LSs are certainly that.

Have fun

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2021, 04:33 am »
Hi Mike,

When I built my LGK 1.0 desktop monitors I couldn't wait to hear what they sounded like so I wired them up before doing anything to the MDF, not even sanding sealer. They stayed that way for three years. I didn't want to take them out of the system long enough to finish them.

While high end systems are nice, modest systems can provide a ton of enjoyment, with the right components and the X-LSs are certainly that.

Have fun

Man, i'm really excited for the new LGK2.0 drivers..
Kinda wanna build a pair for each of my parents...

hardware4200

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:20 pm »
Total Newbie, stumbled across GR Research and various videos and was intrigued.  I am building a 16x16 addition and would like to make it a nice listening room as well as my lab and workspace.  So I am looking to learn, very interested in the DYI audio

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2021, 11:07 pm »
Nice job on those X-LS.  I actually like the bare mdf look. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2021, 11:08 pm »
Total Newbie, stumbled across GR Research and various videos and was intrigued.  I am building a 16x16 addition and would like to make it a nice listening room as well as my lab and workspace.  So I am looking to learn, very interested in the DYI audio

You never want a square room for audio.  Make it octagonal!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:15 am »

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how loudspeakers interact with rooms.  My house is built of 16 foot wide bays, but purposely narrowed the space for my basement audio room to avoid a square room.  Went with 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios) with very good results listening mid-field.  Interior partitions are insulated staggered stud walls.  Door is an insulated exterior fiberglass with weather seal.  Ductwork is flexible, lined fiberglass (can't hear the furnace fan).  Audio electrical outlets are cryo'd hospital grade each on dedicated 20 amp circuits and grounded together (separate from the rest of the house).  Have 3 carefully placed subwoofers, 10 GIK (find them here on Audio Circle) 244 2ft x 4ft absorption panels, and 3 partially filled tall bookcases to act as casual, adjustable diffusers.

BTW also avoid round or octagonal shapes.  Have been in a few geodesic domes - really weird acoustics.  Not that rectangular is the best, just the most studied.  Fibonacci ratios also follow the ancient Greek "Golden Rectangle" ratios (those stone temples would have had lots of echo).  Bass is the biggest challenge for domestic rooms.  Peaks/dips are inherent and can reach 30 dB.  Multiple subwoofers is the best solution, followed by absorption.  EQ should only be used as icing on the cake.  Recommend building an ante-room for your workspace that can double as a sonic barrier to the rest of your house. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2021, 04:45 pm »
Agreed with JLM, if you're going to build an extension then a 16 x 16 square is the worst shape acoustically (especially for bass).  Try to make it wider than it is tall and longer than it is wide.  Make at least one dimension odd instead of even.  So instead of 14 x 16 is better than 16 x 16, but best of all would be 13 x 16.  I'm assuming that for you that you're stuck with 16 feet in at least one dimension, yes? 

mflaming

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2021, 06:21 pm »
Love how this forum covers the full gamut of audio design from small bookshelf speakers to entire rooms. Most of my listening is actually in my garage - thinking about investing a little more in that space. Maybe all the clutter and tools hanging on the walls would serve as acoustical treatment.

Illaheman

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2021, 11:38 pm »
I’ve been a longtime audio interested person and a sometimes contributor on other sites. I’m happy to join this group and learn more from everyone. These subwoofers come highly recommended by people I trust. I look forward to learning more. I plan to replace my older M&K MX-100