NX-Tremes Room size question

MichaelHiFi

NX-Tremes Room size question
« on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:23 pm »
RacerX mentioned to me that there's a new line array called the NX-Tremes. I'm looking at this kit then showed my wife. She then put the kit in the cart with all the upgrades.  :o Whoa there girl!

She has never forgotten the LS6's. I'm fine with our current speakers as they look and sound amazing. I also know the capabilities of line arrays done right. But what I don't know is will these speakers work in our room. And it's all about the room.

I'm setting about to build a bass trap on the right corner wall. There is no left corner. I've been trying to make the left wall disappear and have largely succeeded. We have a very solid image and decent layering if not the perfect location of instruments. If I recall, line arrays don't really have the classic room node issues as conventional speakers. Our LS6's needed to breathe and this is probably why the NX-Tremes may not work in our room. Speakers are 40 inches from rear wall measuring from front of the drivers and roughly 9ft from center of couch. Not a lot of room to work with.

NX-Tremes too much speaker for room?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Tremes Room size question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:47 pm »
You should be fine.  In fact OB speakers will integrate into your room better than any box speaker can.  Just the nature of the physics involved. 

40" from the back wall is plenty. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:49 pm »
actia;;u,  the  NX-Treme is not a  Line Source speaker, it is an array of  drivers but not  a true  LS.
It should work  very well in  your room,   usually OB speakkers are  more for giving to strange room shapes etc  so long  as you can keep them off the front wall by  a minimum of  3'.

The NX-Treme's  will   image   better than the  LS6's  did.  There would be  a slight edge in dynamics   with the LS6's.

If youi're after  a true  LS speaker ,  you'd have to look at the new  Super LS/Line Force but there  has been a   shortage of Neo10's ( I think PE has them now but  at a much higher price)..  We are   working on   creating more of these  Super LS cabinets  at some point  soon.  Danny continues to work ona   Neo 10 replacement  as well.

Somewhere  there is  a thread   on the last  LSAF where I believe it was Part Time AF  did a write up on Danny's room  which   had the  NX-Treme's playing

jay

jay

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:52 pm »
That's a pretty tiny room. If it was me I would not even consider the NXs in your room, or any open baffle. The distance between your couch and speakers is the min. distance I would want behind the speakers.

Your speakers look beautiful and I highly doubt you will get better performance out of the NXs in that space, except the bass issue. In fact, I would wager you would degrade your soundstage by doing so as they would be too close the back wall. I would also forget about spending any more money on speakers until you had the room. They fit nicely in your space. The NXs would be too tall and dominate the space. You have a lovely system, I would just enjoy it.

Here is how much space I feel I need to get the most out of open baffle speakers, well, any speaker for that matter.

Oh, and why not have some fun. System Iphone audio clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqzB6JkDBA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocJnvay2c7Y&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUxOBPcw5uY&feature=youtu.be

Rocket Ronny

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:43 pm »
Well, there are points to both sides. I might think open baffle would not need such room. My Super V's like space but were really about the same distance as my current Ushers. My LS6's as I remember were well into the room but those as CaptainHemo pointed out, were/are a line source.

I'd like to hear these Extremes. Anyone close to Las Vegas that owns a pair and would be willing to have a listening session?

FWIW, I was more in the market for a really good pair of monitors for a second system  :scratch: , and a preamp, and a phonostage and this hobby is expensive  :duh:

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2020, 06:01 pm »
You can certainly go closer to the wall than my preference, you will just get a squished soundstage, and if the wall is not treated, image smearing.

I think those speakers look fantastic in his room and I bet they sound good too. I would not trade that for towers that reach the heavens in that space, but that's just me. In a dedicated music room sure, but not there.

Rocket Ronny

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2020, 06:04 pm »
Well, there are points to both sides. I might think open baffle would not need such room. My Super V's like space but were really about the same distance as my current Ushers. My LS6's as I remember were well into the room but those as CaptainHemo pointed out, were/are a line source.

I'd like to hear these Extremes. Anyone close to Las Vegas that owns a pair and would be willing to have a listening session?

FWIW, I was more in the market for a really good pair of monitors for a second system  :scratch: , and a preamp, and a phonostage and this hobby is expensive  :duh:

For a monitor, look into the NX-Studio

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2020, 06:19 pm »
If you're using it for tv/movies then you may be better off with NX-oticas.  The NXtremes are 7 feet tall and would potentially get in the way of your screen.

The other catch is that they may still need bass from a sub or two.  There goes more of your space.

Maybe you could try a servo sub or two from Danny to integrate with your current speakers.  They make a big difference.

Chops

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:31 pm »
That's a pretty tiny room. If it was me I would not even consider the NXs in your room, or any open baffle.

I have to disagree with this.

I asked Danny about running the NX-Treme's in my small 11.5' x 15.5' x 8' room. He said that if my X-Statik's are working good in this room (which they are doing extremely good - the best ever), then the NX-Otica's and especially the NX-Treme's will work equally as well in the same space.

The only reservation I have now is the fact that the NX-Treme's would indeed dominate the room visually. I'm not 100% sure I want that or not. So I am drawn between the two (Otica and Treme) at the moment.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2020, 09:17 pm »
I think those speakers look fantastic in his room and I bet they sound good too. I would not trade that for towers that reach the heavens in that space, but that's just me. In a dedicated music room sure, but not there.

Agreed. And you'll still need subs. You don't have the space to do it right.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
I have to say that having the turn table on the coffee table is genius. Don't like a track, lean forward, pick the stylus and ker-kluck, a new song. This folks is the early days of digital.

Rocket Ronny

Chops

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2020, 10:00 pm »
Not a lot of room to work with.

I don't think you posted the actual dimensions of your room. Care to share?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:40 pm »
Wrote a long reply then lost it due to being logged out  :evil:

Let's see  :scratch: I wrote that wife liked the LS6's as would be excited to have a similar type speaker, and she likes Danny's designs. Because I've been interrupted about fifty times since I started this post - I'm lost.

My ceiling height is 17'2" and I have between 10 and 14 feet behind the couch, a wall to the right and open to kitchen and dining room to the left. I guess it could be worse.

Oh and 9ft to speaker drivers and additional 40 inches to front wall.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm »
Rocket Ronny. It not just genius, it's for sale  :wink:

There's a Rega P10 on the shelf behind it. I have to get up to make it function  :lol:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:45 pm »
Early B, I have a single SVS Ultra sitting along the right wall. I have space on front wall for a second SVS Ultra if needed. Give me a reason. I really like this sub.

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:02 am »
Whatever you build Michael, make them pretty, please.  And let me know when you're done with them. I miss your Super V's and you and your family.  I pray that you're well. 

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:26 am »
Early B, I have a single SVS Ultra sitting along the right wall. I have space on front wall for a second SVS Ultra if needed. Give me a reason. I really like this sub.

Michael, Michael, Michael….if you're gonna place NX-Tremes in your room, you'll want a matching set of OB servo subs to go along with them. For home theater, the SVS Ultra is probably fantastic, but for music, it will be a weak link.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:38 am »
Whatever you build Michael, make them pretty, please.  And let me know when you're done with them. I miss your Super V's and you and your family.  I pray that you're well.

Morgan, We think of you often. We are so fortunate. I'm retired and my wife still has work. Jr is being home schooled. We have 0 concerns about the the "virus" personally but so many suffer  :cry:

We have music. But I miss getting together with my friends sharing music and gear.

Let the music go on. It helps folks get through tough times as this and look..

I hijacked my own thread  :duh:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:42 am »
Michael, Michael, Michael….if you're gonna place NX-Tremes in your room, you'll want a matching set of OB servo subs to go along with them. For home theater, the SVS Ultra is probably fantastic, but for music, it will be a weak link.

If you want to run with Early B's recommendation going with OB servo towers, you would probably want to flank your main speakers and run those as a stereo pair.  If I'm remembering correctly, don't the NX-Tremes play pretty darn low with all those drivers?  Sure, OB servo sub towers are great and all, but I have to wonder if swarming a group of sealed subs wouldn't get more or less to the same place if one was crossing over very low, like 30-40Hz?

Michael, as to giving you a reason to pick up another sub, adding another sub (or two) would help smooth out the frequency response down low in the room/at the listening position - two should end up better than one, and three is what seems to be the research consensus on what makes up a minimal "swarm" arrangement, which with your setup having one on the right wall, one (proposed) on the front wall, and then maybe one more along another wall wherever asymmetrically it might fit would be about a textbook implementation of a "swarm".

morganc

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:25 am »
Morgan, We think of you often. We are so fortunate. I'm retired and my wife still has work. Jr is being home schooled. We have 0 concerns about the the "virus" personally but so many suffer  :cry:

We have music. But I miss getting together with my friends sharing music and gear.

Let the music go on. It helps folks get through tough times as this and look..

I hijacked my own thread  :duh:

I so miss y'all too Michael!   Your place looks great!  I'm sure you and Jr. are loving life.