Vibefree - Speaker Suspension System? Thoughts?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Vibefree - Speaker Suspension System? Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:41 pm »
Although I remain skeptical that a, for instance, subwoofer cabinet is in any danger of being contaminated by having vibrations from a cement foundation transferred into it through spikes (seeing as how the cabinet is far far more resonant than the cement slab)

It's largely the vibrations generated by the sub itself that cause problems. Subwoofers generate a lot of cabinet vibrations which are "drained" via spikes to the concrete floor. All concrete floors have a natural frequency and reverberant tendencies, which will resonate some of these cabinet vibrations right back up the spikes, altering the cabinet vibrations to cause distortion and dis-linearity.

Probably 99.9 percent of customers don't care about some of the whys or wherefores involved; nearly all, I believe, care about the sonic results, though.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm »
After getting one of your turntable mats, I'm all ears :thumb:

bdp24

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm »
It's largely the vibrations generated by the sub itself that cause problems. Subwoofers generate a lot of cabinet vibrations which are "drained" via spikes to the concrete floor. All concrete floors have a natural frequency and reverberant tendencies, which will resonate some of these cabinet vibrations right back up the spikes, altering the cabinet vibrations to cause distortion and dis-linearity.

Probably 99.9 percent of customers don't care about some of the whys or wherefores involved; nearly all, I believe, care about the sonic results, though.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

I need to understand the technical rational for a product before I can decide if it's something I want to try. There are too many examples of complimentary distortions, one product correcting for another's flaws, to believe every accolade from satisfied customers. We've all heard systems where an overly-bright cartridge (or pre-amp, etc.) compensates for a rolled-off tweeter, right?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:10 pm »
I think the 99.9 percent reference was in regards to parsing a definition as to whether "coupling" or "decoupling" is involved--that might not be important to some people. Surely most people want to understand how and why an audio accessory works and how it applies to what they want to achieve (though might not care about "some" of the whys and wherefores) before investing their hard-earned cash.

With isolation, products that use materials of high integrity and are themselves primarily sonically neutral will not be so prone to system dependence (as evidenced by an extremely low product return rate). Bringing out the best inherent potential of the gear and most faithful rendering of the originally recorded event is the goal.

Every audio system is unique in regards to vibrational environment, interaction with system synergies vary (such as complementary aspects), as do personal taste/preference. So one person's result will not necessarily apply to the next, or may apply equivalently but to a greater or lesser degree. A preponderance of the evidence from customers can be helpful though. Regardless of all theory, research and testimonials, the sonic end-result is always most important.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2014, 02:09 am by Herbie »

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2014, 03:29 pm »
The description of what is happening is clear whether or not you call it a coupling device - because it couples the physical device - or if you call it a decoupling device - because it decouples vibrations.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2014, 03:49 pm »
Thanks for the input on the thread folks. I reach out to Vibefree and they are sending me a sample to review. Lets check this thing out.