LS9 Room size and amp choice

Jerrin

Re: LS9 Room size and amp choice
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2012, 05:35 pm »
I'm fortunate enough to be able to A/B the 9's and the 6's.  Several years back, Danny and I spent an afternoon moving a pair of 6's and 9's back and forth into the room sweet spot for direct comparisons.  There is a difference, the 9's sound better.  Everything about them has just a bit more presence.  Probably the lower crossover as much as the extra drivers. 

Scott

I've had my 9's for a few years now and my 6's for almost a year.  The 6's are really great.   The 9's are better. 

For $800 I would unequivocally recommend the 9's.  Then pick up your room treatments and a servo sub or two.

Honestly though, unless you are listening to multichannel sound, the 9's can do everything well on their own.  I listen to pipe organ music on occasion and they sound fantastic (without a sub).

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:46 pm »
A pair of Melody PM845's sounds pretty fantastic with the LS6's according to several who have tried them.

There are several ways you could integrate subs, as mentioned previously, but remember these really are full range speakers.  There aren't too many people who like them better with subs as opposed to without.

wndrmke

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:39 am »
There aren't too many people who like them better with subs as opposed to without.

They should get better subs. :wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:26 am »
There aren't too many people who like them better with subs as opposed to without.
They should get better subs. :wink:
+1.

i wonder how many who like them better w/o (good) subs have even tried them w/subs.

doug s.

mcallister

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2012, 09:46 am »
I'm in the no sub camp with my LS9's. My subs are Danley DTS-10's

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:37 pm »
+1.

i wonder how many who like them better w/o (good) subs have even tried them w/subs.

doug s.

I can't speak to all LS9 owners, but I have definitely seen those using good subs like rhythmics, submersives, etc. say that the LS9 has faster, better integrated bass all by itself.  Now, obviously personal tastes differ on how much bass is enough, and how low is low enough.  I would imagine that people using them for HT might want a nice sub to supplement the LFE stuff.  For music though, the LS9 will be flat to below 20hz in-room, which covers pretty much all recorded music you could play.

If you like to use your subs that's cool.  I just think probably a new LS9 buyer should try them without first and then see if he needs more.  The money might be better spent treating the room.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:48 pm »
If you like to use your subs that's cool.  I just think probably a new LS9 buyer should try them without first and then see if he needs more.  The money might be better spent treating the room.
agreed that you should try your ls9's w/o subs.  but, if you are in a smaller or less-than-optimal room, having subs can help even out unwanted bass nodes, especially if your main speakers are truly full-range...

doug s.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm »
I'm having LS9 envy.  I guess I need a sub.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm »

So now you think a sub is a good idea.  :green:

Have you started room treatments yet? I ask because I am listening to 2 channel w/o sub, even though I have 1 real good one and 2 good ones. Every time I mess around with treatments, my bass quality improves - tighter, deeper, and vocal intelligibility goes up (among other things).

Of course, this impression is subject to change on short notice. Sheer volume of good bass on certain pieces is very important.

soundofrockets

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:51 am »

you need the 9s steve.........don't try to fool yourself !!!!!!!!!!  happy new year

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:42 am »
1) Get 9's

2) details later

So, yeah, I'd go for the LS9s and then figure out other bits and pieces. I'd especially get the 9s if your wife is on-board with the plan.

I ran my pair with outlaw audio m200 monoblock amps, so I'm worthless helping you with an amp choice.

I would keep the JL sub. You can run the 9s full range and use the sub to fill in any room modes or other dips in the sound once you have the 9s positioned where you feel they work best.

later
todd

Get the 9's!!!!  I have the Super V's and love them even if I still don't have my room worked out yet.  Those are lifetime speakers.  You won't always be in the same house.  Sooner or later you'll move and you'll be glad you have them to work around.  You can't squeeze water from a rock.  Get the system you want.  Worst case is you'll have the best sound you can have in the situation you're in. 

If your wife buys in.......all the better.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:57 pm »

you need the 9s steve.........don't try to fool yourself !!!!!!!!!!  happy new year

I have the best sound in my house I have had in a long time.  Thanks Sunil!  I have to figure out where to start on dampening the room.  I have introduced a few things to diffuse but no bass traps yet.  I still need to upgrade my speaker wire. 

I have a bass opportunity at 45 Hz in my room.  I do think in the long run I'll need a sub or two.