Feedback from Capital AudioFest 2019

Triode Pete

Feedback from Capital AudioFest 2019
« on: 2 Nov 2019, 03:03 pm »
Some early feedback from Part Time Audiophile’s Marc Phillips...
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/02/capital-audiofest-friday-highlights-caf-2019/

Capital Audiofest Friday Highlights | CAF 2019

Vinnie Rossi brought the same system that won my Best Sound award at RMAF–his L2 Integrated, QLN speakers and Innuos Statement music server. The only change here was the Triode Wire Labs cabling. Same incredible soundstage, just everything i could possibly want sound-wise.

Thanks, Marc!

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2019, 01:18 pm by Triode Pete »

Triode Pete

Re: Feedback from Capital AudioFest 2019
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2019, 01:14 pm »
Some additional reports, this time from Stereophile's Ken Micallef...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-dac-and-amplification-volti-audio-loudspeakers-innous-music-server-and

BorderPatrol DAC and Amplification, Volti Audio Loudspeakers, Innous Music Server and Reclocker, Triode Wire Labs Cabling

I’ve favorably reviewed both Gary Dews’ BorderPatrol amps and Greg Roberts’ horn-loaded Volti Audio speakers. Since I couldn’t afford to purchase either when I reviewed them, I was looking forward to seeing and hearing their wares at CAF.
BorderPatrol and Volti Audio maintained two rooms at the show, one gained when New York’s High Water Sound cancelled due to a family emergency. Room 316 included BorderPatrol SE-I USB DAC ($1350), BorderPatrol 300B S20 EXD Amplfier ($19,500), Innuous ZENith Music Server (1TB, $4249), Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker ($3,149), Volti Audio Vittoras speakers ($25,000), and Triode Wire Labs Cabling. Room 309 ran a similar setup but exchanged the Volti Audio Vittoras for the Volti Audio Rivals ($8900). Greg Roberts ran 309 with the Rivals, but I wanted to hear room 316, where the large Vittoras held court with Gary Dews at the helm.

It was fun listening in other visitors to this room. One fellow said, “how can these large speakers image so well in such a short room?” A couple kept switching out the sweet spot seat, the wife saying to her husband, “I’m not leaving.”

Allied to the BorderPatrol DAC and amplification, the 104dB-sensitive, Baltic Birch plywood–constructed Vittoras played music in an exceptionally natural, lifelike, dramatic-yet-relaxed way. Swedish bassist Terje Gewelt’s makes the kind of forward-thinking European jazz I love, and via the Innous server, BP amps and the Vittoras, the music sounded spatial with natural tone, good dynamic shadings, and deep bowed but not tubby bass textures. Holly Cole’s high-rez take on Danny O’Keefe’s “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues” could qualify as audiophile fodder, but I was fully taken with the depth of her vocal and the clarity, extension, and tone of the acoustic bass. The Vittoras’ biggest strength is their ability to play music in a relaxed, natural fashion with faithful detail, dynamics, and human scale. Me and everyone else in this packed room just relaxed and became engrossed in the music.

Thanks, Ken!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2019, 07:54 pm »
Some additional feedback from Ken Micallef from Stereophile...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vinnie-rossi-amplification-qln-loudspeakers-innous-music-server-sgr-equipment-rack-gigawatt

Vinnie Rossi Amplification, QLN Loudspeakers, Innous Music Server, SGR Equipment Rack, GigaWatt Power Conditioner, Triode Wire Labs Cabling

Amplifier designer Vinnie Rossi has the looks of a dapper clotheshorse. His gear is also stylish and eye-catching, kind of steampunk-techno. But there's substance there, too.
Rossie's hi-fi designs have advanced over 15 years at a furious clip. The latest evidence is the new Vinnie Rossie L2 Signature Edition Integrated Amplifier (L2i-SE, $18,995]. The amp features a wide-bandwidth, zero-feedback, direct-heated–triode preamplifier design, compatible with 2A3, 45, and 300B tubes, and others. The output stage has a class A/B MOSFET topology, with a dual-mono power supply and custom-wound toroidal power supply transformers.

Vinnie has said the amp resembles a bank vault. To my eyes, it's more like Darth Vader’s helmet, with the exposed tubes adding a touch of lightness to the matte black finish.

Upstream of the L2i-SE, an Innous Statement Music Server ($13,750—Innous Servers were popping up all over the show). Downstream were the QLN Prestige Three SE Loudspeakers ($12,000). Upstream was the GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+ power conditioner. Upstream and down were Peter Grzybowski’s Triode Wire Labs’ cabling. Side-stream Sidestream was an SGR Model 5 Statement Equipment Rack ($3200/shelf, ($10,000 as shown).

From teenage phenomenon pianist Joey Alexander to Louis Armstrong to some modern music I couldn’t place, this rig sounded natural, dynamic and spatial, creating some of the best imaging in a small room of the entire show.

Thanks again, Ken! Way to go, Vinnie!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2019, 01:46 am »
Some Feedback from Herb Reichert from Stereophile on the Huge and "Huge Sounding" Frederick Room!

I think I had more cables in this room then the OTHER FOUR Rooms (Rooms 309, 316, 516 & 528) combined... LOL! Several pairs of my "American" speaker cables, my power cords, ranging from my lowest cost "Twelve Plus" to the "Obsession"... all of my Analogue interconnects, single-ended "Spirit II" RCA's, Spirit II Phono RCA's, Balanced "Spirit II" XLR interconnects... all my Digital Cables, the "Split Power & Data" USB, "Discrete" USB, "Freedom" ethernet, "Spirit 75" S/PDIF cable, etc...

Luckily, the guys running the room, Steve Rabitz & Greg Takesh, owned about 90% of the TWL cables used and were nice enough to bring them with them! Thanks, guys! Especially Steve, who's the VP of Sales at Sound Insights... He has almost every brand of high end cable available to him and he uses my TWL cables in his reference system at home and at all the shows! Cheers!

Here's the report... https://www.stereophile.com/content/gt-audioworks-loudspeakers-pass-laboratories-eletronics-basis-audio-turntable-and-tonearm

GT Audioworks Loudspeakers, Pass Laboratories Eletronics, Basis Audio Turntable and Tonearm, Mosart Cabinet

The other big room with spectacular sound on the Rockville Hilton’s atrium level featureD products from Pass Labs, GT Audioworks, and Basis Audio.
Every year, Steve Rabitz, vice president of sales at Sound Insight in Massapequa and Huntington, New York, puts on a grand show in a giant blue-lit space dominated some really tall GT Audioworks planar quasi-ribbon speakers.

Greg Takash, GT Audioworks' personable engineer/designer, explained what distinguishes his planar ribbon speakers from other brands' long-established quasi-ribbons: “My speaker"—GT Audioworks only makes one model—"has no crossovers, transformers, or anything else between the superlight drivers and the ($65,000)) Pass Labs XS 150 mono amplifiers they are connected to. I voice my speakers with these Pass Lab amps, but they are very sensitive and do not require high power: just enough current to drive their 4-ohm impedance.” I have heard Greg’s GTA3.1R speakers many times and can attest to their directness, clarity, and super-descriptive spatiality. They can go one-on-one with the best speakers at any price, and they cost only $23,500. The GT Audio Works open-baffle active modular subwoofer system starts at $7,000.

I also met Basis Audio’s Alex Bourque, who said that the late A. J. Conti’s turntable designs are performing better than ever. The $115,000 Basis Transcendence turntable with the Basis Superarm ($15,750) and the My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent Ex Cartridge ($7,000) drove a Pass Labs XS phono stage ($45,000) and XS line-level preamp (also $45,000)—sitting on a beautiful MOSART “Quieten” wood cabinet by Bruce Schuettinger—to make big, elegant, relaxed sound.

Thanks, Herb!

Cheers,
Pete

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2019, 05:48 am »
Congratulations Pete on great sound in every room TWL cables were installed in! It really proves your lineup competes on the same level as the best in every category.
Kemper

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2019, 05:54 pm »
Some additional feedback from Ken Micallef from Stereophile...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vinnie-rossi-amplification-qln-loudspeakers-innous-music-server-sgr-equipment-rack-gigawatt

Vinnie Rossi Amplification, QLN Loudspeakers, Innous Music Server, SGR Equipment Rack, GigaWatt Power Conditioner, Triode Wire Labs Cabling

Amplifier designer Vinnie Rossi has the looks of a dapper clotheshorse. His gear is also stylish and eye-catching, kind of steampunk-techno. But there's substance there, too.
Rossie's hi-fi designs have advanced over 15 years at a furious clip. The latest evidence is the new Vinnie Rossie L2 Signature Edition Integrated Amplifier (L2i-SE, $18,995]. The amp features a wide-bandwidth, zero-feedback, direct-heated–triode preamplifier design, compatible with 2A3, 45, and 300B tubes, and others. The output stage has a class A/B MOSFET topology, with a dual-mono power supply and custom-wound toroidal power supply transformers.

Vinnie has said the amp resembles a bank vault. To my eyes, it's more like Darth Vader’s helmet, with the exposed tubes adding a touch of lightness to the matte black finish.

Upstream of the L2i-SE, an Innous Statement Music Server ($13,750—Innous Servers were popping up all over the show). Downstream were the QLN Prestige Three SE Loudspeakers ($12,000). Upstream was the GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+ power conditioner. Upstream and down were Peter Grzybowski’s Triode Wire Labs’ cabling. Side-stream Sidestream was an SGR Model 5 Statement Equipment Rack ($3200/shelf, ($10,000 as shown).

From teenage phenomenon pianist Joey Alexander to Louis Armstrong to some modern music I couldn’t place, this rig sounded natural, dynamic and spatial, creating some of the best imaging in a small room of the entire show.

Thanks again, Ken! Way to go, Vinnie!

Cheers,
Pete

No surprise to me. Great products. Total cost less than a pair of Pass mono blocks to boot. 

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2019, 11:55 pm »
Congratulations Pete on great sound in every room TWL cables were installed in! It really proves your lineup competes on the same level as the best in every category.
Kemper

Thanks, Kemper! I appreciate your kind comments!

No surprise to me. Great products. Total cost less than a pair of Pass mono blocks to boot. 

charles

Thank you, Sir Charles!

Triode Pete

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2019, 04:00 pm »
More feedback from Part Time Audiophile's Eric Franklin Shook... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/06/gt-audio-works-showstopping-sound-along-with-basis-my-sonic-lab-pass-labs-esoteric-innuos-triode-wire-labs-caf-2019/

GT Audio Works showstopping sound, along with Basis Audio, My Sonic Lab, Pass Labs, Esoteric, Innuos, Triode Wire Labs | CAF 2019

WASHINGTON DC (PTA) — Once again, I’m in the role of converting the convinced. I feel like it’s my calling in life sometimes, and once more it’s with Dave McNair, who previously had to eat his “open-baffle bass isn’t for me” words the day before. This time it’s not passive, it’s active and servo controlled. Oh boy!

The Story

We’re greeted at the door by Greg Takesh of GT Audio Works. It’s Greg’s unique planar/ribbon loudspeakers and open-baffle servo controlled sub-woofers that we are here to experience. They are built completely by hand, in-house, and at his production facilities in Stockholm, New Jersey.

The planars are as large as you would imagine them to be in photos, and feature a full-range crossover-less planar that is mechanically harnessed into its operating frequencies. The outer (and slimmer) ribbon tweeter is electronically crossed in to complement and extend the planar.

Overall sensitivity for the ribbon/planar portion is rated at 93db at 4-ohms with a frequency response covering 40hz-35khz, and doing so without blinking an eye.

The open-baffle sub-woofers operate from 15hz-65hz and include a user adjustable electronic crossover built into the provided amplifier. The open baffle subs are designed to blend seamlessly with the dipole planars. They are configurable for 2 -6 12″ sub-modules per channel. Allowing consistent results in rooms from small to large.

The Sound

There’s a room on the other side of the atrium, which I won’t name, but if you attended Capital Audiofest, or can view the online show guide you’ll know which room I speak of. Either way, for me these two rooms are on par with each other. The cost, and lux designs may be different, the presentation more real-world with GT Audio Works, but the sound is anything but.

Open-baffle servo controlled subs move quickly, stop on a dime, and exhibit no audible overhang or decay. Colorations and box noises are non-existent for the most part, and most of that is due to the enclosure and amplifier’s servo monitoring and correction working in tandem. One of the two is okay, but nothing really to write home about without the other.

Imaging and stability of the center image is some of the best at the show. Extension of frequencies, and balance of tone with impact are on par with anything I’ve heard in this country. If you like slam, subtlety, and distortion free SPLs, this is the right package for you.

It’s actually puzzling to me that we haven’t heard more about GT Audio Works fantastic planar loudspeakers before. It’s my third year writing about them, and they consistently have best-in-show scale and dynamics. I implore you, the reader, to make the pilgrimage to CAF or wherever a GT Audio Works system is in action, as it will be an experience that won’t be forgotten.

The System
Basis
– Transcendence Turntable – $115,000 USD
– Superarm Tonearm – $15,750 USD

My Sonic Lab
– Ultra Eminent Ex Cartridge – $7,000 USD

GT Audio Works
– GTA3.1R Planar/Ribbon speakers – $23,500 pr USD
– Open-Baffle Active Modular Sub-woofer System – starting at $7,000 USD
(with sub-woofer amplifiers included)

Pass Labs
– XS Phono Stage – $45,000 USD
– XS Line Stage – $45,000 USD
– XS 150 Monoblocks – $65,000 pr USD

Esoteric
– K01xs SACD player – $22,000 USD

Innous
– Zen Mk3 server – $3000 USD

All cabling by Triode Wire labs

Thanks, Eric!!!

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:17 am »
More fun coverage from AudioStream's Grover Neville here... https://www.audiostream.com/content/capital-audiofest-part-2-wadax-innuos-qln-and-vinnie-rossi

Capital AudioFest Part 2:  Innuos, QLN and Vinnie Rossi (and Triode Wire Labs!)

Although proudly analog systems were plentiful at CAF, some of the absolute best sound at the show was produced in digital rooms.
I’ve heard Vinnie Rossi and Innuos gear several times before, though I’ve never heard Rossi’s DAC sections. For CAF, Mark Sossa of Well Pleased Audio Vida and Rossi put together a room with QLN Prestige 3 loudspeakers, an Innuos Statement Streamer and a Vinnie Rossie L-2i-SE integrated amp and built-in DAC. I entered this room alongside Dave McNair, an experienced recording and mastering engineer who’s worked with names like David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. After a short time listening to some music he had directly mastered, Dave turned to me and said ‘from 1khz on up, the response of this speaker is perfectly flat.’

I couldn’t have agreed more. The midrange response of the QLN speaker was absolutely flawless, without a hint of any strange timbral or dynamic irregularities. I haven’t heard much better from any speaker ever. The phantom image was solid and precise from any position in the room, even far outside the sweet spot, another incredibly tough trick to pull off, and full credit goes to Sossa and Rossi for the fabulous job they did setting everything up.

The Rossi and Innuos make a great combination every time I’ve experienced them, and this time an extra special synergy between every part of the signal chain was really on display. I’ve not heard Rossi’s built-in DACs before, and was at first skeptical of the high price and off-the-shelf AKM4497EQ chip, but the detail I heard in this system was among the best I heard at the show from any setup, analog or digital, and without any of the traits stereotypically associated with bad digital sound. The lack of eye-candy and barebones digital setup was a nice visual aid, removing a lot of the ‘wow’ factor more complex digital or analog systems have – there were a mere three components on the rack; the amp, streamer and a power station.

The QLN Prestige Three was listed at $12,000 USD/pair, the Innuos Statement Music Server with a 1TB SSD was listed at $13,750 USD, the Vinnie Rossie L2 Signature Edition Integrated amplifier with optional DAC ($3,495 USD) and optional Phonostage ($3,495 USD) came to $18,995 USD total, and the GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+ with LC-3HC power conditioner was listed at $10,000 USD. Wiring was done by Triode Wire Labs, and an SGR Model 5 Symphony Statement rack made in Australia priced at $3,200 held everything up.

Thanks, Grover!

Triode Pete

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2019, 01:05 am »
Another Outstanding Show review, this time from Jack Roberts, Editor at the Audio Beatnik... https://theaudiobeatnik.com/caf-2019-vinnie-rossi-and-well-pleased-a-v/

CAF 2019: Vinnie Rossi and Well Pleased A/V (with Triode Wire Labs)

It was no surprise that we visited the Vinnie Rossi Audio and Well Pleased A/V room more than once. Their gear seems made to go together, and it was one of the best sounding rooms at the Capital Audiofest 2019. The surprise is that even though the total cost of the system is less than the speakers in most of the other rooms, the sound was one of the very best at the show.

Vinnie Rossi Electronics

This was our first time to see Vinnie Rossi’s new L2 ‘Signature Edition’ Integrated Amplifier or L2i-SE ($18,995). It debuted at RMAF, but we didn’t make it to that show.

The Class A amp has a wide-bandwidth, zero-feedback, and is ‘convertible’ to a direct-heated–triode (DHT) preamplifier design. It is compatible with 2A3, 45, and 300B tubes, and 6SN7s and a few others. The output stage has a Class-AB MOSFET topology, with dual-mono power supplies.

The DAC was Vinnie’s L2 DAC, which is an optional module ($3,495) for the amp. This preamp is so good I hope there will be a stand-alone one before long. There is an optional L2 Phonostage as well for the same price.

Source and Speakers

The source was the Innuos Statement Music Server ($13,750) The best I could count, there were Innuos servers in seven rooms at the show. And, when I visit with other audiophiles, it seems many of us now have an Innuos music server in our personal systems.

The speakers in this sweet-sounding system were the QLN Prestige Three SEs ($12,000). I always enjoy listening to these speakers from Sweden. They just deliver a beautiful sound that makes me want to listen just a little longer.

The rest of the system was the GigaWatt “PC-4 EVO+” with LC-3HC power conditioner ($10,000). The cables were from
Triode Wire Labs.[/b] The rack was an SGR Model 5 Statement Equipment Rack.

Without a doubt, this was one of the most beautiful sounding systems at the show.

Thanks Jack & Becky!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2019, 09:54 pm »
Just received this BEST SOUND GOLD award from AV Showrooms!

GT Audioworks continues to get some of the best sound, year after year. This year at Capital Audiofest 2019, we opted to spin the Dead Can Dance lp Spiritchaser; specifically, the track “Song of the Stars” on the Basis Audio turntable with the Basis Audio tonearm. The lateral imaging was off the charts, the sound was detailed with impact, dynamics and low-end slam. Of course, the Pass lab monoblocks driving the speakers had a lot to do with the overall presentation. Included in the room was the Mosart Cabinet, Esoteric and the Innuous server. All wiring was by Triode Wire Labs.

« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2019, 10:36 pm by Triode Pete »

GregC

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2019, 12:35 am »
Congrats Pete, your accolades are well deserved.

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2019, 06:47 pm »
Some Fantastic Feedback from Part Time Audiophile's Marc Phillips... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/13/well-pleased-audio-vida-vinnie-rossie-qln-innuos-triode-wire-labs-caf-2019/

Well-Pleased Audio Vida, Vinnie Rossie, Qln, Innuos, Triode Wire Labs | CAF 2019

I’m looking at my notes from the Well-Pleased Audio Vida room at the 2019 Capital Audiofest, and I spot this little nugget: “OMG. What can I say?” The Well-Pleased Audio Vida room is more commonly known as the “Vinnie Room” these days, meaning Vinnie Rossi is once again showing his fabulous L2i-SE integrated amplifier ($18,995) with those deceptively diminutive Qln Prestige Three SE speakers ($12,000/pair) from Sweden. It’s almost exactly the same system that importer/distributor Mark Sossa of Well-Pleased AV brought to the 2019 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest just a couple of months ago–Vinnie Rossi, Qln, Innuos Statement, GigaWatt power conditioner and SGR rack. There were only two difference from that system, the very one that tied for Best Sound of Show in my wrap-up report just a few weeks ago.

Well-Pleased Audio Vida brought a loom of Triode Wire Labs cabling (I just learned the word “loom” recently, by the way), and the spacious diagonal placement of the Qln speakers was replaced with a more convention position, albeit one that was still pulled out a third of the way into the room. The sound of this system was almost exactly the same, however–an exquisitely deep soundstage that breaks down the wall of the listening space, a smooth yet crystal-clear tonality that provides continuous goosebumps, and some incredibly powerful low frequencies that seem unlikely from such a petite two-way floorstanding loudspeaker.

I felt that the buzz in the hallways concerning Well Pleased Audio Vida had changed from Vinnie’s amp to the QLN speakers at CAF 2019. Sure, that Vinnie Rossi L2i integrated is sensational, but how is it that those little Qlns sound like gigantic six-figure monoliths? I asked Mark Sossa what the secret was to these speakers–fairy dust, a deal with Old Scratch at the crossroads–and he simply mentioned the excellent engineering that goes into every Qln speaker, and how each and every part used is optimized for the overall design.

Here’s how impressive that 3-D presentation was in the Well Pleased Audio Vida room. Vinnie started playing Julie London singing “Cry Me a River,” and the song was almost over before I remembered it was a mono recording. It’s an absolutely breathtaking mono recording, to be sure, but Julie’s voice was so immediate and natural that it simply didn’t matter. I kept returning to the room during the show, trying to soak it all in, but there was consolation in knowing that I just packed up Vinnie’s L2-i integrated amplifier (with phono module) in my trunk before I headed home, and now it’s waiting for its turn for review.

Just writing this reports makes me want to grab it, unpack it and fire it up so I can once again experience the glory of this sound. What can I say?

Thanks, Marc!

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2019, 12:01 am by Triode Pete »

Triode Pete

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:00 am »
Congrats Pete, your accolades are well deserved.

Thanks, Greg! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2019, 09:40 pm »
Additional feedback, this time from EnjoyTheMusic.com... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2019/Clott/page4.htm

Volti And Border Patrol (& Triode Wire Labs)

Innuos Zenith ($4,250), BorderPatrol Audio Electronics DAC SEi ($1350), BorderPatrol Audio Electronics SE 300B EXD ($13,275), Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus power cord ($549), Digital American power cord ($499), Spirit II RCA interconnects ($399), Discrete USB cable ($299), PI Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner ($1295), Volti Audio Rival Type II, fully optioned with Triode Wire Labs internal wiring and external crossovers ($16,400), Also on hand from Volti, a freshly built pair of 2020 Rival Special Edition speakers with curved laminated Baltic Birch sides - still needing veneer and finish; to be available in a couple of months fully optioned at ($17,900). Always a fun room. Big speakers. Big sound. Rarely bright or over bearing, even in a small room.

And once they have room to breathe within a larger room, and they don't fail to satisfy. They do soft and dainty, and jump to balls out in an instant! The BorderPatrol integrated mates magically while a Zenith Server fed the system digitally via a BorderPatrol tuned DAC without any sign of digital intrusion. Innuos servers hit the ground running and offer a combination of build quality, audio performance and user convenience that is hard to ignore. Build quality and fit and finish are always spectacular from both Volti and BoarderPatrol.

Thank you, Matthew!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2019, 07:40 pm »
More here... http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2019/Clott/page4.htm

VR, Innuos, And Qln
QLN Prestige three SE ($9k to $12k depending on finish). Vinnie Rossie L2i-SE ($19k + $3500 / DAC & phono module), Innuos Statement server ($13,750), SGR Model 5 Symphony rack ($3,200/shelf), GigaWatt PC-4 Evo+ with L3-3HC ($10k), and Triode Wire Labs cables ($2,400). This room wowed! Stage was insane, making the windows and walls melt away. Speakers just vanished.

Thanks again, Matthew!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2019, 07:23 pm »
Some Fantastic Feedback from AudioHead's Eric Franklin Shook! ... https://audio-head.com/well-pleased-av-vinnie-rossi-qln-innuos-sgr-gigawatt-and-triode-wire-labs-caf-2019/

Well Pleased AV, Vinnie Rossi, QLN, Innuos, SGR, GigaWatt and Triode Wire Labs – CAF 2019

Few exhibits have created such a buzz in the audio show circus like the most recent one with Well Pleased AV. The star components of the exhibit: Vinnie Rossi’s L2 ‘Signature Edition’ Integrated Amplifier ($18,995 USD) and QLN Prestige Three SE Loudspeakers ($12,000 pr USD), and Innuos Statement Music Server (1TB SSD – $13,750 USD). Not to be overshadowed or outdone, as everything matters in the system, SGR’s Model 5 Symphony Statement Equipment Rack ($3,200 per shelf), GigaWatt’s PC-4 EVO+ Power Conditioner with LC-3HC ($10K), and a full loom of Triode Wire Labs cables.

The buzz started with Vinnie Rossi’s debut of the L2i-SE Integrated at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest back in September of this year, which can be read in excruciating detail HERE. The L2i-SE was a hotly anticipated release with the success of the separates that preceded it almost a full year earlier.

This time around at Capital Audiofest, I brought more friends to bare witness to the awesomeness that is the small system. Mind you, exhibit systems that usually create this kind of buzz, often are much more to look at in terms of size and dollar signs. Take the sprawling VAC/Von Schweikert/TheAudioCompany exhibit that is still making the rounds — that’s an exhibit that could charge a separate admission fee, and still pack the rooms. It’s a $1.4M exhibit in gear cost alone. Yet here we are, fawning just as much for what is one of the most spartan rooms at the show. Not even a rubber ficus tree in sight.

What really struck everyone with surprise at RMAF and CAF was the overall authority of the small two-way, two-driver towers from QLN. The physical time alignment of the drivers is probably the most exotic sonic feature of the towers. Otherwise, it’s just one of the best executions of a simple straightforward design, with ultimately the highest quality of materials and components.

How’s it all sound? During our time visiting the Well Pleased AV room we put the system up to a real test with our more than qualified “golden-ears” Dave McNair, who will be joining the Part-Time Audiophile writers staff very shortly. He may even scribble out a piece or two for Audio-Head. Who knows? Dave is quick to know if he’s heard something good, and if there are flaws. In ultra-rare fashion, he turns to us after 45-seconds and utters one phrase: “It’s perfect.”

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2019, 03:43 pm »
Best of Show Honors from Part Time Audiophile's Marc Phillips!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/24/marcs-capital-audiofest-wrap-up-caf-2019/

Here's an excerpt of his "Best of Show" post!

Marc’s Capital Audiofest Wrap-Up | CAF 2019
Much of my Capital Audiofest wrap-up has already been telegraphed. I talked about my favorite rooms in The Occasional Podcast, and I’ve hinted as much in these show reports. You’ve probably already guessed that this year’s show was spectacular–just read some of the reports from other writers for other publications–Greg Weaver, I’m looking at you–and you’ll surmise that CAF has grown to the point where it is no longer one of the smaller regional shows but one of the main events on the high-end audio show circuit.

This year, there were 82 rooms. Eric Franklin Shook and I covered every single one of them between us. My Capital Audiofest wrap-up needs to focus on the fact that so many rooms sounded great. Not just good, not just reasonable for a quick install in some strange hotel room–I can count at least 20 rooms that I thoroughly enjoyed for one reason or another. Rooms that sounded like homes. Rooms that sounded like dealer showrooms. That goes to show that many manufacturers, dealers and distributors have this all down to a science.

When it comes to awarding Best Sound at the show for my Capital Audiofest wrap-up, however, there were four specific rooms that easily qualify. Again, there’s a separate reason for why each room was my favorite. But we’ll come back around to that.

So here we go. These are the four Best Rooms, or should I say Favorite Rooms, for my Capital Audiofest wrap-up, in order of scale:

Vinnie Rossi, Qln, Innuos, Triode Wire Labs, presented by Well Pleased Audio Vida. That soundstage! That imaging! That deep bass coming from those petite little 2-way floorstanding speakers! The Well Pleased AV room has been casting its spell on attendees for the last three or four high-end audio shows, but CAF was the show where everyone said yeah yeah, Vinnie’s amps are stupendous, but what’s the story on those little Swedish speakers? They’re amazing! This is the system I would choose if I bought a slightly larger house with a dedicated listening room.

Thanks, Marc!!!

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2019, 04:09 pm »
  Congrats AGAIN !

Triode Pete

« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2019, 10:10 pm »
More Feedback from Jack Roberts from The Audio Beatnik... https://theaudiobeatnik.com/caf-2019-borderpatrol-and-volti-a-musical-combination/

CAF 2019: BorderPatrol and Volti, a Musical Combination

Show after show, Gary Dews of BorderPatrol and Greg Roberts of Volti Audio combine their products to produce some of the best sound at an audio show. They had two rooms at the Capital Audiofest this year, but since I hadn’t heard them in a while, I spent my time in the room with the big and beautiful Volti Vittora loudspeakers ($25,000).

The system consisted of a BorderPatrol SE-i USB DAC ($1,350). I reviewed and own this great little DAC. The amp was a BorderPatrol S20 EXD ($19,500). They were also using the BorderPatrol DAC with an Innuos ZENith music server (1TB, $4,249) and the Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker ($3,149). Triode Wire Labs provided all of the cables.

My memories about the Volti Vittoras were confirmed. These speakers are incredibly fun to listen to. This system simply made recorded music come to life in an involving and immersive way that was a joy to hear.

Note: We would like to extend a very special thank you to Paul Elliott who provided us with photos of this room as Jack’s camera was not cooperating at this show.

Thanks Jack & Becky!

Cheers,
Pete