Bryston Loudspeakers

BrysTony

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #140 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:04 pm »
I like the split cover look but you should get more adventurous with color - not just black.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »
It is typically not possible to combine high efficiency (especially at low frequencies) with compact enclosure size and adequate low frequency response
 Above from previous post. Atlantic Technology speakers might beg to differ from what's written I would love to hear Jame,s opinion on those, I,ll throw on a teaser forhim by saying that Atlantic Technology probably isn't high end enough for you .Whatyou say James

Hi,

Sorry not sure I understand the question - are you saying good low end response is not possible given small woofers and small enclosures relatively speaking?  So an 8 inch can not compete with a 12 regardless of type of enclosure and engineering differences?

james

RLL1

« Reply #142 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:19 pm »
Some ideas?

The example on the right. Go with a metal grill, and magnetic attachment, similar to the Monitor Audio Platinum series. That sure would have helped the fellow with the Nautilus speakers.

Rick

SoundGame

« Reply #143 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm »
Some ideas?

Really like the more transparent grills - not sure I'm fond of the split grill, especially when the veneer is not dark. 

Would magnetic mounting (invisible mounts) be in your plans - it gives a much cleaner appearance when grills are off?

If not an aluminum front baffle - how about a solid aluminum plinth with outrigger adjustable feet?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:49 pm »
Yes magnetic grill mounts

james

SoundGame

« Reply #145 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:58 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #146 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm »
Hi James:

I'm thinking that this design could be set apart from your partnering company's house look and Brystonized, as it were if you took a little different direction with the front baffle that would likely be also a potential functional improvement.

Have you considered going with a:

1/2 thick solid aluminum front baffle with Bryston styling cues?
The baffle could be made in...black or silver.  A number of the high-end speaker seem to be adopting aluminum structural designs to increase structural rigidity and reduce cabinet vibrations.  I'm thinking this could improve the structure but also clearly link to the Bryston line of products.

Hi,

You have to be careful with the materials used. Different materials resonate at different frequencies of course and metal resonates at a much higher frequency than wood. So based on what resonance you want to deal with the material chosen will reflect that (this is also very true of driver material). So lets assume the panel of wood on your speaker resonates at 150Hz and a piece of equal dimensional aluminium resonates at 800Hz - which resonance would you rather deal with?  In the JT-1 case with the speaker in an anechoic chamber and an accelerometer the panel resonance can be measured and the bracing applied to reduce the resonance. So far in the listening tests the ear appears to be more tolerant of a damped resonance at 150Hz than at 800Hz.

Anyway I am learning a lot about speaker design these days :thumb:

james

SoundGame

« Reply #147 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:02 pm »
Hi,

You have to be careful with the materials used. Different materials resonate at different frequencies of course and metal resonates at a much higher frequency than wood. So based on what resonance you want to deal with the material chosen will reflect that (this is also very true of driver material). So lets assume the panel of wood on your speaker resonates at 150Hz and a piece of equal dimensional aluminium resonates at 800Hz - which resonance would you rather deal with?  In the JT-1 case with the speaker in an anechoic chamber and an accelerometer the panel resonance can be measured and the bracing applied to reduce the resonance. So far in the listening tests the ear appears to be more tolerant of a damped resonance at 150Hz than at 800Hz.

Anyway I am learning a lot about speaker design these days :thumb:

james

Thanks for sharing this James.  I would have loved to get into speaker design / acoustics - perhaps down the road I'll take a course but self-study in the meantime. 

Literally, there are sooo many questions I would have for you on this.  Enjoy the experience!

SoundGame

« Reply #148 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:07 pm »
See - another thought on this.

I was just thinking that your comment on different resonances of materials makes total sense with the issue of finding the "right" stand for standmounted speakers.  Most often - it is a MDF cabinet for the speaker sitting on top of a metal stand (aluminum or steel but sometimes of another material such as MDF), the interaction between the two will always be a variable to consider.  I always knew that the intention was to minimize vibration but resonances is another consideration.

I guess that is a clear reason why it would normally be the best to go with a stand that has been specifically designed for the speaker and test together with the speaker. 

VOLKS

« Reply #149 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:54 am »
James do you have the complete specs on your Active  Axiom M80 v3 look-alikes yet or partial specs?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #150 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:10 am »
Hi,

Sorry not sure I understand the question - are you saying good low end response is not possible given small woofers and small enclosures relatively speaking?  So an 8 inch can not compete with a 12 regardless of type of enclosure and engineering differences?

james

Basically, that is correct. For a good (natural, without all sorts of boosting) low end you will need volume (as in liters inside the cabinet) and surface (of the woofer used, the bigger the better).

It is possible to boost the low end, but that also comes with a lot of distortion and a punch effect. I doubt that this is where you want to go.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:23 am »
Basically, that is correct. For a good (natural, without all sorts of boosting) low end you will need volume (as in liters inside the cabinet) and surface (of the woofer used, the bigger the better).

It is possible to boost the low end, but that also comes with a lot of distortion and a punch effect. I doubt that this is where you want to go.

Hi,

I am not the expert but the engineer working on the JT=1's tells me that the low end response has much more to do with the woofer throw design and power handling. In other words a long-throw 8 inch with adequate power and design can out perform a 10. we shall see.

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #152 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:47 am »
Hi,

I am not the expert but the engineer working on the JT=1's tells me that the low end response has much more to do with the woofer throw design and power handling. In other words a long-throw 8 inch with adequate power and design can out perform a 10. we shall see.

james

Yes an optimised 8 inch setup will beat a non-optimised 10 inch setup but that's not comparing apples to apples.  Every speaker design is a selection of compromises! IMHO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #153 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:01 pm »
Yes an optimised 8 inch setup will beat a non-optimised 10 inch setup but that's not comparing apples to apples.  Every speaker design is a selection of compromises! IMHO.

Good point - but what about keeping the front baffle as thin as possible for off axis polar response considerations as well as the crossover point and slope required to the mids being part of the criteria when designing the loudspeakers?

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #154 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:07 pm »
Good point - but what about keeping the front baffle as thin as possible for off axis polar response considerations as well as the crossover point and slope required to the mids being part of the criteria when designing the loudspeakers?

james
Absolutely ,,the baffle should be a narrow as possible for good imaging.  These considerations have spawned designs including side firing woofers and separate bass modules.(sub woofers anyone??)

I think that one has to consider the volume of the intended listening room when setting out to select a design.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #155 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:50 pm »
James do you have the complete specs on your Active  Axiom M80 v3 look-alikes yet or partial specs?

Hi -they are not Active M80's - they are a complete redesign from the ground up - much bigger box - acoustic suspension etc.

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #156 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:35 pm »

For that matter, they don't actually look that much like M-80's either other than the white driver cones. The "look-alike" comment is a bit of a stretch IMO.

As to the necessity for big drivers to provide adequate low-end , I think PMC for one has shown what can be done with smaller drivers and clever design in terms of extracting ample and high-quality bass from a speaker. My current PMC's have a small driver but plenty of bottom-end. The pair I'm waiting for utilize even smaller drivers and the low-end is as good or better. Big drivers have their own potential issues in terms of how the sound can be negatively affected.
Good design and good component quality are key to a successful outcome.

D.D.

budt

« Reply #157 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:49 pm »

james

Personally , I think off axis response is way over rated. Us audiophiles usually listen alone and so are always in the sweet spot.

mrhyfy

« Reply #158 on: 20 Aug 2011, 07:13 pm »
  Personally , I think off axis response is way over rated. Us audiophiles usually listen alone and so are always in the sweet spot.

Good off axis response is critical even in the sweetspot....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #159 on: 20 Aug 2011, 07:20 pm »
Good off axis response is critical even in the sweetspot....

Totally agree :thumb:

James