My X3s Continue To Amaze Me!

Desertpilot

• Retired
My X3s Continue To Amaze Me!
« on: 10 Oct 2023, 04:11 pm »
Hello Everyone.  No sense letting this message board grow inactive.

I purchased three X3s in May, 2021.  Now, Spatial Audio is selling the X4.  The cost of each of my X3s is roughly equal to the cost of each X4 Ultra.  Do I want to upgrade?  No.  Do I feel I have a less capable speaker?  No.  I continue to be amazed at the sound quality from my X3s.  I do not know the quality of the crossover parts inside my X3s.  Given the speaker's cost, I would expect the crossover circuit is pretty darn good.  In my situation, speakers are five feet from the front wall and 10 feet from the MLP, each speaker's drivers meld into one sound.  There is never a time when any driver sounds detached from the other drivers.  Soundstage is robust in width and depth and is located behind my speakers.

I listen to classical surround music.  Typically, the music is mixed to 5.0 channel configuration, ITU format (rear surrounds rather than side surrounds).  My download purchase choice, when available, is DXD 352.8/32 (WAV).  I try to download directly from the recording studio.  I want to highlight three recent purchases that have motivated this post.

-- Solo Piano:  Nicolas van Poucke, The Schumann Collection, Vol. 2.  https://trptk.com/shop/downloads/the-schumann-collection-vol-2/.
---- Review:  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=16217#reviews.

I own a lot of impressive solo piano music.  This new release goes beyond anything I have in my collection.  The piano is properly centered behind my center channel speaker.  Each note is clearly reproduced.  It is so distinct, you can hear the notes from each hand of the pianist as if you were standing beside the piano.  It is a double SACD album with a generous two hours of music.  I can listen to the entire performance with no feelings of fatigue.  Release Date:  October, 2023.

-- Chamber: Chiaroscuro Quartet, Haydn: String Quartets Op. 33 1-3.  https://www.eclassical.com/haydn-string-quartets-op-33-nos-1-3.html.
---- Review of one of their other albums:  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=13299#reviews.

I've never been a fan of HIP (Historically Informed Performance) style.  In this case, however, it is absolutely stunning.  The quartet plays on 1700's instruments using gut strings.  The whole conception of chamber music changes for me.  The artists noted how different it was for them to use gut strings.  For example, they had to make changes in timing to accommodate the swift drop off in sound.  On lesser speakers, this distinction would be lost.  On my X3s, I am absolutely amazed at the music's robust sound.  The four artists surround my center channel speaker.  However, each performer is properly distanced from one another.  It is so realistic, I feel I could get up and walk over to them.  Release Date:  May, 2023.

-- Orchestra:  Manfred Honeck, Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5.  https://www.nativedsd.com/product/fr752-tchaikovsky-symphony-no-5-schulhoff-five-pieces-for-string-quartet/.
---- Review:  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=16101#reviews.

I'm a big fan of Honeck and his Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.  This is simply his newest recording and I agree with the reviewer, "This is without doubt the finest modern recording of Tchaikovsky’s 5th Symphony in both musical and sonic terms that I have heard...".  My X3s put the entire orchestra in my listening space.  Instrument groups are all properly spaced.  Everything comes together to give me that "I am at the concert" feeling.  Release Date:  July, 2023.

My X3s make the genre or style irrelevant.  They all come through in superb sonic quality.  Certainly, my equipment choices contribute to my wonderful listening experience.  I give my X3s  an accurate signal and they turn it into an accurate sound.  Sure, I have a large room with several GIK acoustic panels.  I also carefully measured speaker distances.  Bottom line, I've done what I felt needed to be done to give my X3s the opportunity to perform at their best.  All I do at this point in my retired life, is spend lots of time each day listening to music.

Marcus
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2023, 08:41 pm by Desertpilot »

DaveWin88

Re: My X3s Continue To Amaze Me!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:18 pm »
I'm going to have to try and get the Nicolas van Poucke on vinyl. I'm exclusively just purchasing vinyl from here on out. You have great taste in music, and I'm buying solo piano and harpsichord music like a mad man :) I just love the stuff. I'm loving Sylvia Marlowe. She has a different tonality and approach and her playing is impeccable. Thank you for the great recommendations. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2023, 07:26 pm »
You're in luck.  Vol 1 is on Vinyl.  https://trptk.com/shop/vinyl/the-schumann-collection-vol-1-2-lp/.  I think it's equally as impressive.

Thanks for your comment.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2023, 08:48 pm »
X3’s are incredible speakers - I still miss them.

If you like Mozart, the new set of sonatas by Hewitt are incredible.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2023, 08:56 pm »
Thanks Tyson.  Your opinion is always valued.

DaveWin88

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2023, 10:01 pm »
You're in luck.  Vol 1 is on Vinyl.  https://trptk.com/shop/vinyl/the-schumann-collection-vol-1-2-lp/.  I think it's equally as impressive.

Thanks for your comment.
Fantastic. I'm so blessed to have a record store in my town that has a large classical section, and most of the titles are $6.00. Most are in excellent condition. I'm making it a weekly visit :) Who needs food. Thank you

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2023, 01:05 am »
Let's talk about the drivers.

I know the crossover point between the subwoofer and the mid range driver is 90 Hz.  The crossover between the mid range driver and the AMT (Air Motion Tweeter) driver is 1,000 Hz.

AMT Driver:  Ron at New Record Day has always had issues with AMT drivers.  He says they draw attention to themselves although he had a change of heart with the new X4s.  My X3s have the same AMT driver in the same wave guide as the X4.  I've never notice an integration issue between the AMT and the other drivers.  In fact, reproduction of piano, violin and vocal music is superb and fully integrated.  I know many of you prefer the dome style tweeter.  I've gone through plenty of speakers with this type of tweeter.  For me, the AMT is perfect.

Mid Range Driver:  Total bliss for me.  This 12 inch driver reproduces the bulk of instruments in classical music.  Reproduction is precise and extraordinarily accurate.  Baritone & Bass vocals are stunning.

Subwoofer:  My speakers have the 15 inch subwoofers with the 250 watt amplifiers.  Testing informed us that the subwoofers had unbalanced gain.  I retested until I could set the volume knobs to equalize the subwoofer volume.  I've never felt I was missing bass.  Plucking double bass strings, tubas, organ notes all come through loud and clear.  I do have two SVS SB13Ultra subwoofers and I installed their amplifier upgrade.  They are in the rear of my listening space, underneath my rear surround speakers.  Our testing showed us a 30 Hz crossover would be beneficial.  No, I don't get earth shattering bass or physical feelings.  My music doesn't need that experience.  The 30 Hz crossover works perfect for me.

Bass side note.  I know GR research touts their circuit that stops their bass drivers on a dime.  I don't think we have that circuit on the X3s.  But, in my experience, I've never felt the bass notes propagated excessively.  Maybe I'm wrong.  EDIT:  from the GR Research website:  "...Direct Servo plate amps. Direct Servo is a patented technology that is far more effective than any other servo control systems of the past."

Thanks for listening.
Marcus
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2023, 03:35 pm by Desertpilot »

Mr. Big

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2023, 02:42 pm »
Thanks for sharing what you nailed about the reproduction quality of Spatial Audio speakers and how they can faithfully reproduce quality produced music. I've been this hobby for 40 years and I have the listening experience from owning many styles of speakers and gear these speakers hold their own and better many of them in making music sound alive in the room. With those speakers up to $30,000. You can get a different sound but that does not make them better just different in how they reproduce and image and that is due to how they bring bass, mids, or highs forward in their speakers in one or two of those areas, no different than cables can do.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2023, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for sharing what you nailed about the reproduction quality of Spatial Audio speakers and how they can faithfully reproduce quality produced music.

Thank you for your active membership in our community!

... With those speakers up to $30,000. You can get a different sound but that does not make them better just different ...

The law of diminishing returns.

mrotino332

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2023, 03:32 pm »
I agree 100% with you Desertpilot.  I've had the X5s since the spring of 2020 and they still impress me each and every time I listen to them, they play any genre of music equally well and really do not have a particular sound signature.  They sound like the source feeding them.  I had been searching for new speakers about five years ago and Spatial was on my radar since then.  But when the X series came out it seemed like exactly what I had been waiting/looking for which was a ribbon type of tweeter (I've had very good dome speakers in the past such as Scanspeak revelator, Dynaudio Esotar, Morel, etc.), very high efficiency to give more amplification options, powered woofer (so I have more control over the amount of bass and easier to integrate in the room) and easy impedance load. 
This speaker has vastly surpassed my expectations and I bought them having never heard Spatial audio speakers before.

I belong to an audio club in CT. and each member that visits for a listen is in awe and all say they cannot believe the performance for what they cost and mention that they are among the best speakers they've heard period regardless of cost.  They are surprised also that since my room is not very good that the bass quality, imaging, dynamics and transparency are still so outstanding.   They also mention that when they first sat down and looked at all of the big drivers they could not believe the coherency the speakers produced as the appearance and size of the drivers would not suggest that.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2023, 06:47 pm »
I agree 100% with you Desertpilot.

Thank you!

I had been searching for new speakers about five years ago and Spatial was on my radar since then.  But when the X series came out it seemed like exactly what I had been waiting/looking for...

I was looking at GR Research speakers initially.  I purchased Danny's crossover upgrade for my SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers.  Great upgrade but I learned that building speakers was not possible for me (dang, my hands hurt after building the crossover).  So, then I began looking at Spatial Audio and fell in love with the X3s.

I belong to an audio club in CT.

I grew up in New Haven, CT.  My family still lives there.  When I visit, we always head to Pepe's Appiza https://pepespizzeria.com/ on Wooster Street.

mrotino332

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2023, 07:13 pm »
wow ok.  I grew up in West Haven and now live in Fairfield so not far from New Haven.  I'm actually meeting relatives for pizza Saturday night in New Haven but at Modern which is very good as well.  Pepes, Modern and Sallys are considered the whole trinity best pizza places in New Haven although there are several other great pizza places in the area and my favorite of the three is actually Sally's although all three are exceptional.  Zuppardis in West Haven is fantastic as well.

Anyway that's nice that your family still lives there and I'm sure you visit when you can and get some good pizza.  I'm Italian and the New Haven area has very good Italian food in general.

geerock

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2023, 08:04 pm »
Yes!  Zuppardis.

dlynch34

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2023, 07:50 pm »
Desertpilot your post over last couple years are why I went and bought this same speaker.  I love them and I have had a few types in my lifetime including maggies... These are so dynamic and once placed right in your room and have the right treatments they sound well above their price point to me.  I thought about going to the x4 but think how much more can I get then I already have.  I was fortunate to find these on the used market for 1/3 of cost new and couldnt be happier with them.   Love reading everyones take on their own journey.  :).

Don

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2023, 01:38 pm »
Don, thank you very much.  I super appreciate your taking time to post your thoughts.

Marcus

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2023, 03:15 pm »
X3’s are incredible speakers - I still miss them.

If you like Mozart, the new set of sonatas by Hewitt are incredible.

What do you miss about them Tyson vs your current speakers?

I have my X-3s combined with GR Research Dual Servos and I don’t think I could find a much better speaker at any price. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2023, 08:55 pm »
What do you miss about them Tyson vs your current speakers?

I have my X-3s combined with GR Research Dual Servos and I don’t think I could find a much better speaker at any price. 

I still think the X3's are great speakers, particularly for music.  I actually have 2 systems at my house - a dedicated 2 channel music-only setup on the main floor and a HT setup in the basement (also 2 channel).  For a long time I ran my best speakers (the Serenity Acoustic Super 7's) in the basement.  For the upstairs system, I rotated through a bunch of different speakers before ending up with the X3's.

One day it dawned on me that I really ought to move the Super 7's upstairs to the music system because they are pretty much the best music speakers I've ever heard.  So I did, and they are awesome in the upstairs system now.

I moved the X3's to my HT downstairs and they sounded good down there but just didn't produce enough bass.  I was about to buy and build out some OB subs to augment them when I saw someone selling NX-Oticas with 2 towers of triple 12" OB subs for about the same price I could get for my used X3's.  So I sold the X3's and got the NX-Oticas and the triple bass towers.  And that definitely produces enough bass for movies!!

As for what I specifically miss about the X3's - in my music system the X3's had power and ease in the lower midrange/upper bass that my Super 7's just can't match.  There's something very 'right' sounding about a big 12 inch paper woofer doing the midrange. 

OldScott

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2023, 10:21 pm »
Has anyone any experience in hearing how the X-3's sound compared to the new Ultra4's?

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2023, 11:33 pm »
There's something very 'right' sounding about a big 12 inch paper woofer doing the midrange.

Yep. 8)

Mr. Big

« Reply #19 on: 6 Nov 2023, 12:46 am »
There is no perfect speaker, you find one who sounds good to you and the type of music you enjoy that brings the performance to you, very few speakers can do that, and Spatial is one as well as Clayton Shaw designs with another new company of his. The speakers can change as you change cables and power cords on your amps, as well as your room, that is a good speaker that can easily allow you to hear these changes, some are so colored/tilted in the highs and lows that these differences don't stand out.

I tonight pulled out 4 power cords from my collection and used them on my amp, each easily could hear the sonic changes. From lackluster to a point, to overly warm and other details pushed forward,  one a good balance of the others, now if I heard my speakers with any of the cords that were not as good as the one I like more, it would have given me the wrong idea on how these speakers sound, So the speaker is the teller of the total rest of your gear and cables, room before them. Now that is a speaker people dream of having and you don't have to drop obscene money to get that performance, perfect they may not be but right they are at what they allow you to enjoy of your recordings and only improve as you feed them better and match cables and take care of your room acoustics. Bright these speakers are not only if they are in a room with no care given, and time taken for setup and cabling to match to bring out the best they can be.
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2023, 06:13 am by Mr. Big »