"New Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3, MP-D1(DAC) and MP-501"

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I received the above titled email from Musical Paradise the other day announcing this years new integrated model a new version of another and a DAC-his first one that I'm aware of. They have a preorder discount going on and some tube options to check out. I like the new config of the MP301, which now has 2 inputs it looks like. Check it out here:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

srb

Re: "New Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3, MP-D1(DAC) and MP-501"
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2012, 12:14 am »
..... and a DAC-his first one that I'm aware of.

Looking at the MP-D1 DAC, it brings up a few observations and a bit of confusion:

1.  It has an asynchronous USB input that supports up to 24/192, but the Toslink and Coax S/PDIF only support up to 24/96.  In this case, the 24/192 capable AK4399 DAC chip seems to be crippled by the choice of the 24/96 TI DIR-9001 input receiver chip.

2.  There is a switch on the back to select between a pair of Coax and PC (USB) inputs, but for some reason the Coax jack is labeled "Coax Out".  ?

3.  There is a switch on the back to select between a pair of Coax and Toslink inputs (this RCA is labeled "Coax In"), but for some reason the switch and legends seem to be upside down.

4.  The front panel knob is labeled "Power" and I don't see another switch or additional labeling on that switch for Input selection.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2012, 12:51 am »
Right out of the gate I saw the strange DAC specs and pretty much moved on, my original 301 and the 2nd version sounded great but the 2nd got so hot it scared me. Steve why would you derail yourself at jump street with the DAC 24/96 thing?? Any ideas???
 Informational op.... :scratch:

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:04 am »
Good stuff

srb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:18 am »
Steve why would you derail yourself at jump street with the DAC 24/96 thing??

I don't know.  My initial impression that it might be an older existing DAC with a newer asynchronous USB input added.  I just don't see a 2012 design using the older TI receiver chip.

On paper, the USA made solid state Schiit Bifrost with AK4399 DAC, Crystal CS8416 S/PDIF input receiver and C-Media CM6631 USB receiver for $450 seems like a more modern design and possible better value.  But I was intrigued with the tube output, as the analog output stage can make or break a DAC, but the proof would be in the audition.

But due to a few of the other quirks and questions I see on the front and back panels, the manufacturer would at the very least have some " 'splainin to do " before I would pursue with any further interest.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:18 pm »
Very well could be a typo but the back panel on the DAC is the second strike and price being the third.

The MP301-MK3 looks good to me he fixed a bunch of things that were major issues with 2 and some minor like the placement of the speaker output posts. The 2nd had them so close together you had to really plan your bend and wire path beforehand because actually affixing the wires was a REAL PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it looks like room has been put in that area.
 Does anyone know the sound characteristics of the optional tube sets offered??? For $299 you could have the top shelf version.
 I may post my Asgard for sale and work a way to get a 301, we'll see..... :lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2012, 09:04 pm »
You should get more power as the tube gets larger.  My experience is that the KT88 is more 'beefy' and larger sounding spatially than the EL34.  I have less experience with the 6L6.  I should note, however, that I haven't heard any of these tubes in SET mode but I would guess similar results.  $25 to upgrade from 6L6 to 6550 (hopefully, KT88s would actually be sent) is a pretty darn good deal!  Even for chinese tubes!  Did he fix the hot tranny problem?  What about potential hum?

saisunil

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm »
I think 6L6 is a sweet tube - for low power would 6L6 be more favorable to the larger tubes - given the same transformers?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm »
You should get more power as the tube gets larger.  My experience is that the KT88 is more 'beefy' and larger sounding spatially than the EL34.  I have less experience with the 6L6.  I should note, however, that I haven't heard any of these tubes in SET mode but I would guess similar results.  $25 to upgrade from 6L6 to 6550 (hopefully, KT88s would actually be sent) is a pretty darn good deal!  Even for chinese tubes!  Did he fix the hot tranny problem?  What about potential hum?
He makes note of saying they fixed this and that, also the hum is neglible or something like that. You should read his description on it and see, that stuff is over my head most of the time.

I'd consult my tube guru and general smart alec..Dean and most likely go with his suggestion. If it had a remote this would be ordered already. I always have enjoyed the sound of his stuff. The first was nice, 2 sounded excellent but had issues and whats the phrase, "Third time is a charm"? :wink:

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:49 am »
That 300B Demo for $489 looks pretty good...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:57 am »
From the website:

•One amplifier supports 6L6 (6P3P), KT66, 5881, EL34, KT77, KT88 and 6550.

Out of that selection, I'd get a pair of Gold Lion KT66s and sit back and enjoy!

And contrary to my original reply, it looks like it would ship with Shuggy 6550s and not KT88s.  Too bad.  I've never really been fond of that tube for audio.

Seamaster1000

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:58 pm »
 back when I frist started hi-fi, I used to own 3 cadas golden reference pc after read rave review by 6moon. Later stumbled upon VH audio F4 cable, because they were very cheap used. You can often find them $150 or less. F4 were big improvment over cadas, system plays louder, more focused, much better dynamic, and list goes on. I also owned black sand violet II and Zu bok. Black sand is not bad, more neutral and open, hair less bass attack than F4. I did not like the human voice with black sand, which little cold, but they were better than cadas also. Zu is dry sounding. I always come back to F4. One major draw back of F4 is, they were too stiff hard to bent, or they bent at all!! very hard to work with. That made me sold them all after all.

One time the owner of www.revolutionpower.com showed my a Oyaide Tunami GPX PC at local meet. Wow, it is finally a better sounding PC than F4, I can't really pick any fault with this one. Dont get my wrong, they are not the best PC I heard, but best PC at a given price.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:29 am »
I think you meant to post this in the "Good inexpensive power cords are a great way to elevate your sound." thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109044.0

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm »
If anybody does get this amp please let us know how it sounds...Thanks :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:04 pm »
I would love to hear the MK-3 with KT88's. 
This is how I solved the excessive heat from my MK-2.  It works.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:10 pm »
I'm going to get the mk3 and the new MP-Dac soon.....next couple of weeks.
Amp and tubed Dac for $800.....hard to beat considering I live in the same city as Gary, so no delivery charge
or chance of shipping damage.

Will try the mk3 on my V-1s and will let you know.....if it performs half as well as my 401 I'll be very happy.

Perry

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
A member at HF posted an extensive review of this one, im not a tubes guy but i admit this one looks great. With the right tubes you also have a decent headamp.

gtube

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm »
Hi Guys,
I am new to AudioCircle. This is my first post. Let me answer some of your questions regarding the MP-D1 DAC.
The reason I choose DIR-9001 instead of some 192khz receiver is due to the lowest jitter factor on the DIR-9001.
The coax and optical inputs are mainly used for CD and DVD players. Even SACD players only do unto 24/96khz since 24bit/96khz is the recording standard.
Most of high definition audio files are stored on a computer, the USB port does support upto 24bit 192Khz.
The XMOS chipset does not require installation of drivers in Mac OSX and Linux since it meets the USB 2.0 Audio industrial standard, so you don't need to worry about future software upgrade.
The Coax-out at the back is for some high end users to use the MP-D1 as a USB to Coax convertor, so they can still hook up their old DAC to the latest USB 2.0 Asynchronous technology.

Thanks,
Garry
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2012, 03:03 pm by gtube »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:37 am »
Hi Garry and welcome to AC.  The info is welcome and you are allowed to answer direct questions about your products on the public circles of AC, but you really need to read the guidelines for industry participants.  The very last line, "If you read some user's reviews online, you would know how well and analog it sounds." is pushing the envelop about promotion just a bit.  None of this is your fault because it took me five minutes to find the guidelines as they're in Archived Circles section now.  As we have just migrated sites I assume this part is a work in progress, JohnR may be writing some new rules, not really sure.  Anyway, here's the rules as they stand today: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42858.0 

On a thread that had to be moved to "Industry Ads" Garry has suggested options for a group buy.  If there's any interest from the members perhaps you could PM me and I could start a thread in the proper channels.

gtube

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm »
Thanks Letitroll98. I just removed that line. Sorry about that.