6 Overtimes and counting,,,HERE WE GO AGAIN, FRIDAY OVERTIME!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Syracuse and Connecticut tied at 110 and going into their 6th overtime! Is anyone else watching this? :o

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2009, 03:31 am by satfrat »

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: 6 Overtimes and counting,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:31 am »
Syracuse wins a nearly 4 hour/6 overtime game where they had a buzzerbeater 3 point basket taken away in regulation(would have won the game had the player clipped his fingernails before the game, it was that close to the clock), went the 1st 5 overtimes w/o ever having a lead, only to pull it out in thee 6th overtime when UConn finally ran outta gas.

20 hours after the end of this record breaking game, Syracuse will be back on the court to play once again in the semifinals. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:34 am »
I was at a bar wanting to grab a sandwich and go home at the end of regulation!  Roughly 6 beers later here I am...what a game!

spudco

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:48 pm »
As a Mountaineer fan, I was glad to see them play all night.  Perhaps they will have weak legs tonight!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:37 pm »
There were 2 other west coast games that I completely missed because of this marathon game,,,, boy was it worth it. 8) For those who missed the last shot by Syracuse that would have won them the game in regulation, it was a 3-point basket that was thrown before the buzzer and called good, Syracuse was celebrating, then the ref's went to the monitors and determined that the ball was still on his fingertips as the clock hit .00. The buzzzer was a fraction late and trhey correctly waved off the basket. Syracuse went into them overtimes undermanned, rattled, and never had a lead thru the 1st 5 overtimes. It wasn't til UConn finally had some of ther tip players foul out that the sides where evened up talent-wise and Syracuse finally tipped the scales. UConn had the final shot in every one of the 1st 5 overtimes but couldn't put the game away, they simply ran out of both players, momentum, and gas. :D

Cheers,
Robin

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:21 pm »
Syracuse went into them overtimes undermanned, rattled, and never had a lead thru the 1st 5 overtimes. It wasn't til UConn finally had some of ther tip players foul out that the sides where evened up talent-wise and Syracuse finally tipped the scales. UConn had the final shot in every one of the 1st 5 overtimes but couldn't put the game away, they simply ran out of both players, momentum, and gas. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Sorry but this doesn't make too much sense to me.  :scratch:
I'm a long time Syracuse fan, so right up front I will say if UConn's all round best player wasn't on the bench injured, gameover, 9/10 times UConn is probably going to win.

You say Syracuse was undermanned in OT and I agree, Syracuse's big men fouled out before UConn's, so Syracuse had to go small and bring in one tree that had not played a second before OT. Then you say after UConn players fouled out it evened up the talent? You say UConn ran out of gas, but Syracuse is the team that played the night before (late game even) and people who have never played basketball at this intense level probably cannot understand how hard it would be to play a one OT game let alone a 6OT game the very next night.

Lin  :D

Go 'Cuse

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:41 pm »
Syracuse went into them overtimes undermanned, rattled, and never had a lead thru the 1st 5 overtimes. It wasn't til UConn finally had some of ther tip players foul out that the sides where evened up talent-wise and Syracuse finally tipped the scales. UConn had the final shot in every one of the 1st 5 overtimes but couldn't put the game away, they simply ran out of both players, momentum, and gas. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Sorry but this doesn't make too much sense to me.  :scratch:
I'm a long time Syracuse fan, so right up front I will say if UConn's all round best player wasn't on the bench injured, gameover, 9/10 times UConn is probably going to win.

You say Syracuse was undermanned in OT and I agree, Syracuse's big men fouled out before UConn's, so Syracuse had to go small and bring in one tree that had not played a second before OT. Then you say after UConn players fouled out it evened up the talent? You say UConn ran out of gas, but Syracuse is the team that played the night before (late game even) and people who have never played basketball at this intense level probably cannot understand how hard it would be to play a one OT game let alone a 6OT game the very next night.

Lin  :D

Go 'Cuse

Well Lin, I can only comment on how I saw the game. :dunno:

What Syracuse did last nite was incredible IMHO. For the 1st 5 overtimes, UConn had the momentum IMHO and Syracuse was playing catchup with bench players. It wasn't til the 6th overtime with UConn's big men fouling out that the teams equaled out talent wise IMHO which IMHO gave Syracuse an even playing field for the first time in the whole game. :o Once the Orange got the lead, the UConn team simply died and were a step behind every play IMHO. In a game like that, emotion is everything and UConn had this for the 1st 5 overtimes yet couldn't pull the game out with the last shots. But once Syracuse got their 1st lead of the overtime in the 6th overtime, their emotion took over and UConn's emotion disappated. It was so obvious to my eyes and it's simply incredible that a team who had played the nite before, thought they had won the game in regulation, trailed and never had the last shot in the 1st 5 overtimes,,, actually had the resolve to outplay UConn in the 6th overtime. :o :thumb:

I hate Syracuse myself along with all the other Big East teams, I'm a Georgetown Hoyamaniac myself but what Syracuse did last nite won't be forgotten anytime soon and I'll be rooting for them tonite Lin,,,, hope you can understand that. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:01 pm »
This game will be replayed on ESPNU this afternoon @ 3pm est fwiw. :thumb:

shirtaspants

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2009, 08:50 pm »
I hate Syracuse myself along with all the other Big East teams, I'm a Georgetown Hoyamaniac myself but what Syracuse did last nite won't be forgotten anytime soon and I'll be rooting for them tonite Lin,,,, hope you can understand that. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

I don't understand this sentiment, hating all the other Big East teams...growing up in CT as a UConn fan, I like and respect a lot of other (original) Big East teams, especially Syracuse. It hurts losing to them, but I'm happy for them and I root for them  when they're playing someone else. As a fan of a Big East team, you should direct your ire toward the ACC ;)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2009, 08:59 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

I don't understand this sentiment, hating all the other Big East teams...growing up in CT as a UConn fan, I like and respect a lot of other (original) Big East teams, especially Syracuse. It hurts losing to them, but I'm happy for them and I root for them  when they're playing someone else. As a fan of a Big East team, you should direct your ire toward the ACC ;)

You don't need to understand it. :roll: I root for the Hoyas and I jeer the rest of the teams in the Big East,,,, deal with it, or not. I could care less. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2009, 09:19 pm »
In the ACC we have the ABC and the ABD syndrome...Anyone But Carolina and Anyone But Duke

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: 6 Overtimes and counting,,,HERE WE GO AGAIN, FRIDAY OVERTIME!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:32 am »
Friday nite and we're doing it again. Overtime for Syracuse! :hyper:

low.pfile

Re: 6 Overtimes and counting,,,HERE WE GO AGAIN, FRIDAY OVERTIME!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:34 am »

Go SU!

<---- Syracuse alum here. not a sports guy though.

cheers, ed