Franco Harris passes away at 72

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Franco Harris passes away at 72
« on: 21 Dec 2022, 11:46 am »
Franco Harris, likely the most beloved Steeler ever, has passed away at 72.  This just days before the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception, the most iconic play in NFL history.  Heartbreaking for Steeler fans.

rodge827

Re: Franco Harris passes away at 72
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2022, 01:22 pm »
Nooooo! Such sad news! Prayers for his family and friends. Remember watching that game was 8 at the time and a Steelers fan because my younger brother was a Cowboys fan. A few years later went all in on the Iggles and been there since!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2022, 02:13 pm »
RIP - he went to high school not far from me (same county) and my high school played his on a regular basis.  I think he was just under 2 years older than I am.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2022, 02:51 pm »
I just listened to him talk yesterday on Mad Dog Sports radio on SiriusXM...wow!!

I don't think it was a recording...now I will have to check.

George

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2022, 03:53 pm »
Wow, sad, sad, sad.........  :cry:

may he RIP

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2022, 06:39 pm »
RIP Franco.  He was such a great running back.  I remember watching him play, he was a joy to watch.

jobiwon

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2022, 06:49 pm »
I alway thought he Cuban but his dad was African American WWII vet.  Dad met his wife in Italy.   After his NFL career he moved back to Pittsburg and opened a bakery and integrated into the community.  True Blue Steeler.

Tangent note.  There is a federal designation for Appalachian counties that stretch from northern AL to NY.  Pittsburgh is the largest metro city in that designation.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 07:12 pm »
One of the classiest, and toughest running backs ever. Who played on perhaps the most dominant teams ever. R.I.P. Franco, you were one of a kind.  :cry:

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2022, 08:34 pm »
I just listened to him talk yesterday on Mad Dog Sports radio on SiriusXM...wow!!

I don't think it was a recording...now I will have to check.

George

Based on what I read today, that was a live interview yesterday afternoon.

Truly sad.

George

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2022, 11:51 am »
Based on what I read today, that was a live interview yesterday afternoon.

Truly sad.

George

Yes, it was the day before his passing.  He was active in the celebration giving interviews freely and other than being a little stiff in movement nothing appeared wrong.  By all accounts he was looking forward to the weekend retirement of his jersey and 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.  Here in Pittsburgh every news program has another Franco tribute.  On the day before his passing his schedule was packed, one stop was the Heinz History Center that has a small display with Franco's statue.  A couple young teen sisters asked for a pic an he obliged.  Then he asked what they knew of the 70s and the team then, when they replied not much he began a guided tour of the display talking all about Pittsburgh, the times, and the team.  His wife kept saying Franco, we have to go.  He said just a little more, he spent over fifteen minutes with the girls.  That's who he was, kind, gentle, and giving.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2022, 12:00 pm »
Yes, it was the day before his passing.  He was active in the celebration giving interviews freely and other than being a little stiff in movement nothing appeared wrong.  By all accounts he was looking forward to the weekend retirement of his jersey and 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.  Here in Pittsburgh every news program has another Franco tribute.  On the day before his passing his schedule was packed, one stop was the Heinz History Center that has a small display with Franco's statue.  A couple young teen sisters asked for a pic an he obliged.  Then he asked what they knew of the 70s and the team then, when they replied not much he began a guided tour of the display talking all about Pittsburgh, the times, and the team.  His wife kept saying Franco, we have to go.  He said just a little more, he spent over fifteen minutes with the girls.  That's who he was, kind, gentle, and giving.

I heard of this story yesterday afternoon while listening to multiple hours of tributes. 

Here is a link:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35297364/franco-harris-death-showed-how-embraced-own-pittsburgh-steelers-legend-end

As awesome as he was on the field, sounds like he was an even better person!!

George