First American to Play Australian Rules Football

Rocket

First American to Play Australian Rules Football
« on: 22 Aug 2015, 11:32 am »
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd post on Audiocircle as it is primarily a USA forum.  First American to play AFL Jason Holmes debuted for St Kilda today.  Our game is expanding to the USA just a little bit :).

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/american-jason-holmes-to-create-afl-history-for-st-kilda/story-fndv7pj3-1227493065004

Cheers Rod

persisting1

Re: First American to Play Australian Rules Football
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2015, 09:17 pm »
I'm really surprised that he's the first American professional. It's not like the game doesn't exist here. There are many club teams at American Universities. 

So you guys get this kid and "we" get Jarryd Hayne? Sounds like the Americans got the better deal  :lol:

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm »
Should point out that the NRL and AFL are different.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2015, 09:50 am »
It doesn't seem that long ago that we had the first Sydney team to play "Australian" rules football  :lol:

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2015, 03:50 am »
Hi Guys,

I watched part of the game where James Holmes debuted for St Kilda and he played quite reasonable.  Still very raw at the moment but the guy can leap so high (tap ruck man) and has good potential.  Yes he is the first American to play Australian Rules Football (AFL).  The aussie rules football is weighted quite a bit heavier than Grid Iron and will take a while for him to transition to it.

There have been a few AFL players who have played grid iron in the USA most notably Darren Bennett who was the first to convert to your game.

Cheers Rod