A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses

wushuliu

Re: A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:13 am »
How can any skeptic here possibly put on an attitude. You saw the title of the thread. I mean, come on.  :duh: Doesn't the kvetching grow old? There should be a '_______ - Meh' Circle, where 'fact-based' grumps can grumble and pass around the sarcasm.

I think upgrading fuses is a must for any amplifier.

Rock on.

Levi

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jan 2012, 01:52 pm »
It is simply not cost effective for me to play around with $50 fuses.  This cd player alone has 8+ fuses.  :duh:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #62 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:38 pm »
I doubt that many equipment manufactures would be happy about honoring a claim involving DIY or boutique fuses.

niels

« Reply #63 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:42 pm »
ok James time for your imput

James already commented in the thread I linked to earlier, see the response there.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #64 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:49 pm »
I doubt that many equipment manufactures would be happy about honoring a claim involving DIY or boutique fuses.
Agree. When I posted in this thread, the real problem with boutique fuses is not the voltage rating, but the speed of response. Many boutique fuses are a little sketchy on fast/slow blow rating. And even if the speed is mentioned, the fuses are not really seriously tested to be 'standard speeds.
So in a circuit needing fast and you go too slow.. you equipment becomes toast.
And agree the manufacturer is not going to be happy trying to claim a warranty due to an improper fuse being used.

So IF you have a real clear promise of rating and speed etc.. Well, it still is your burden if it all goes wrong.

And I agree the best standard fuses used to be those 'lightning bolt' appearance fuse element. They were in my Forte 4a as stock.

Those allowed several just very small fuse rated bits in the longer fuse element. Rather than a full one inch wire being the fuse rated element.

sfraser

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jan 2012, 04:31 pm »
There is an old saying " a good transistor wil protect the fuse every time, by blowing 1st" :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:05 pm »
And at $80 the transistor better blow first! It'd be cheaper.  :P

*Scotty*

« Reply #67 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:34 pm »
If we are talking about the fuse on the incoming AC power, its only purpose is to prevent a fire.
If it's a rail fuse, you hope both + and - rail fuse blow nearly simultaneously,or there will be TROUBLE!
With speaker fuses we have an alternative,we can bypass the fuse with a high quality film capacitor thus eliminating most of the effects of the non-linear resistance the fuse has with regards to the passage of the variable frequency AC signal.
Scotty

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #68 on: 28 Jan 2012, 12:32 am »
The copper fuses I could find were rated for 600v and 225 to 450 amps. See link below
http://www.onestopbuy.com/buss/Bussmann-LPS-RK-SP-600V-Class-RK1-Fuse-225A-400A-46245.asp

I don't think this is what you had in mind.
Scotty
you're right - not what i had in mind.  what i had in mind is what i posted - wery small gauge copper wires, used as fuses, in the sizes indicated.

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #69 on: 28 Jan 2012, 12:53 am »
It is simply not cost effective for me to play around with $50 fuses.  This cd player alone has 8+ fuses.  :duh:

agreed - pricey.  but the amr fuses are a bit less at $13, and copper wire - if it can be werified that they will actually blow at the ratings given on the sites i linked - might be worth a try.  i am on the fence as to whether they would actually do anything, but i haven't tried...

doug s.

Levi

« Reply #70 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:20 am »
$18 is doable specially if UL listed for safety.

BrysTony

« Reply #71 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:37 am »
Surely most of you have heard this old saying:  If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Tony

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #72 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:08 am »
Surely most of you have heard this old saying:  If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Tony
didja buy your bryston amp because the amp you had was broken?   :wink:

doug s.

Pez

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jan 2012, 04:15 am »
Since when does anybody settle for 'good enough' in this hobby? If you're not tweakin' you're not trying hard enough.

Audioclyde

« Reply #74 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:13 pm »
When I purchased my AMR dp-777 dac, my dealer included some AMR fuses for my Mastersound SET amp.  I noticed an immediate difference in the sound, and it was an improvement in my  opinion.

Given the relatively minor cost, I certainly recommend giving these a try.

Randy

ronman

« Reply #75 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:08 pm »
I am using the Furutechs. Couldn't get any others to compare them against. Fitted them through my entire system (eighteen in total).   I was very very sceptical at first. Some time back I read somewhere on this site about upgraded fuses. Tried 1. Then got hooked. There is a noticeable difference.