Any San Diego audiophiles here..shout out!

daveyf

Any San Diego audiophiles here..shout out!
« on: 8 Dec 2019, 11:45 pm »
I think there are quite a few San Diego hobbyists here. So, let’s hear it from the San Diego crowd...

BTW, we are pleased to count ALMA Audio, Stereo Unlimited, Deja Vu west, Dynamic Sound systems, Blackbird Audio ..as our local dealers...are there any others that should be given some recognition?

nickd

Re: Any San Diego audiophiles here..shout out!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2019, 02:55 pm »
There are a few hobbyists is San Diego. Not quite enough to support a strong brick and mortar store selection though. The market has changed to smaller theater installation services here. There is some DIY folks of course. But the smaller lots and expensive real estate keep the regular folk listening to lifestyle systems and home theater.

Those of us here for a long time are dug in and take our hobby pretty seriously.  :thumb:

howburger

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2020, 09:24 pm »
I'm in Rancho San Diego. I finally moved up from a receiver and mass market speakers in 1998. I'm now in a dedicated sound isolated room with decent separates, monoblocks, infinite baffle subs, and have moved in and out of numerous DIY speakers over the years. Currently my mains are Hawthorne coaxials. Nick, I lurk every day on GR Research and see that you've had some of Danny's offerings. It looks like you currently have a pair of customs from PBN. I've contemplated messaging you to see if you still have any GR Research speakers in service that I might be able to listen to, if you were so
inclined. The NX Otica or the NX Treme are on my radar at the moment. I'd love to hear an example of his work first. Did you not or do you still have a pair of LS 9's from Danny

Harold

hi_watt

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2020, 09:28 pm »
Checking in. I mainly go to Stereo Unlimited, and sometimes ALMA. I still need to check out the other shops. I miss Ross' Exchange, and Sound Company. I also need to mention that I am in East San Diego (City Heights).

John Gallup

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2020, 12:13 am »
I'm in San Diego, have bought most of my system at Stereo Unlimited, which is kind of an amazing resource:  every time I go there I find another room I didn't realize was there. They've got a theater!

emyemyemyyy

• Vintage audio research and repair nut
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2021, 02:42 am »
Hey hey, happy to be here! We’re big fans of Stereo Unlimited as well. Bruce is a godsend, especially to younger/poorer audiophiles like me, ha! Sometimes we go down and hang out for a few hours to trade music and torture ourselves with expensive equipment. Dangerous place!

Carlsbad

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2022, 02:59 am »
Carlsbad from Carlsbad here.

.penguin

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2022, 05:52 am »
I’m in San Diego North City West. Getting back into audiophile equipment now that college tuition for the kids has ended. Am a customer of Stereo Unlimited from way back, when I was poor and CD’s were just beginning to hit the market. They set me up with an affordable turntable and a NAD 7140. It’s a fun place to visit and browse through vinyl. I’ll have to check out some of the other shops listed here.

westly197

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2022, 04:19 am »
I’m in Escondido, north San Diego county. We have very few stores in the area, more online purchases or driving a good distance to hear anything. I always fell like I’m the odd ball that cares about audio, I guess we are just trying to pay our mortgage and keep gas in our tanks. Covid killed off most of what was left in north county, but we do have some good installer dealers. I have a couple I’ve worked with, great service, but no inventory or anything you can listen to before you order. I do need to checkout some of the places mentioned by others more downtown.

t-bird

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2022, 05:56 pm »
Hi - I'm a new member in the Point Loma/OB area. Ross Anderson (from Ross' Exchange) introduced me to tube amplifiers in 1999.  It has been a fun journey!

I joined to learn more about DIY speakers, and also to see if I could find someone local to help out with a project. I was working with Kenleigh Hall to update some of his speakers. Unfortunately, Kenleigh passed away a few weeks ago. I'll miss him, he told good stories. I also have an unfinished project with cabinets, drivers, and crossover components, but not any expertise in building crossovers. If anyone here is interested in helping me out, please let me know!

mrsjriley

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2023, 11:40 am »
Hi t-bird.  My name is Jennifer Riley and my husband is Zachary Riley.  Kenleigh Hall was a dear friend of ours that we've known since 1997.  We normally speak with him at least a couple of times a year, but our last correspondence was over a year ago.  You said that you had been working with him when he passed.  Do you have any more information that you could share?  We are devastated and are unable to find an obit...  His numbers or websites no longer work.  :( 

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2023, 08:32 pm »
Hi t-bird.  My name is Jennifer Riley and my husband is Zachary Riley.  Kenleigh Hall was a dear friend of ours that we've known since 1997.  We normally speak with him at least a couple of times a year, but our last correspondence was over a year ago.  You said that you had been working with him when he passed.  Do you have any more information that you could share?  We are devastated and are unable to find an obit...  His numbers or websites no longer work.  :(

Jennifer, email sent