NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread
« on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:18 pm »
This thread will be about "all things Stereo Maraschino"....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:26 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
STM switches and such
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2018, 02:44 am »
Initial turn-on:
    - Make sure the volume is all the way down.
    - Make sure the left switch is set to MUTE.
    - Make sure the right switch is set to OFF.

Left switch positions (Input Select):
    - UP = Front (1/8” jack, Single Ended)
    - MIDDLE = MUTE
    - DOWN = Rear (XLR, True Balanced)

Right switch positions (Power Mode):
    - UP = ON
    - MIDDLE = AUTO (amp will sleep after 8 minutes of no audio)
    - DOWN = OFF

Power LED:
    - RED = Standby
    - GREEN = Running
    - ORANGE = Running at high voltage (60V)

ctk

Tommy,

Can one use these wonderful  5-way posts on the STM and run line level out to powered sub?
Cannot keep from thinking I did come across this query in past but am unable to find this again. Others may appreciate this feedback, especially if intended use would be on desktop set up with small speakers.

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2018, 03:39 pm »
I will just add what I've said before. This is the biggest bargain in true high end amplification. I listen to mine as a power amp daily in my office, where I've used a couple dozen good amps over 30 years, and this leaves me wanting nothing. Transparent, dynamic, ultra clean and powerful.
If you have a large room or difficult to drive speakers, as I do in my main system, the 60V mono Maraschinos are indicated, but on a SQ basis they are very close.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2018, 08:17 pm by jonbee »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Tommy,

Can one use these wonderful  5-way posts on the STM and run line level out to powered sub?
Cannot keep from thinking I did come across this query in past but am unable to find this again. Others may appreciate this feedback, especially if intended use would be on desktop set up with small speakers.
You can run the outputs to a "speaker level input" on a sub, but some subs ground the negative side (mostly older models).  If this is the case, it can damage stuff, so post your sub model and we'll take a look....

Also, keep in mind we have a November Sale going on (see below)....  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2018, 06:32 pm »
I will just add what I've said before. This is the biggest bargain in true high end amplification. I listen to mine as a power amp daily in my office, where I've used a couple dozen good amps over 30 years, and this leaves me wanting nothing. Transparent, dynamic, ultra clean and powerful.
If you have a large room or difficult to drive speakers, as I do, the 60V mono Maraschinos are indicated, but on a SQ basis they are very close.
Thank you for the compliments.  We have a few STMs ready to go at the special price.  Here's the post about the sale mentioned above:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160513.0
"Cherry Amps and MORE! November sale.... (Stone MEGA review)"

Make sure you read the follow up post added today on that thread!

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2018, 06:59 pm »
This amp is a very special piece of gear. I have had many class A, A/B, D, SET Class A, and Push Pull Class A/B amps over the years. The DAC STM bested them all. Every time I listen to the STM I shake my head and wonder "how'd he do it?"  :scratch:  A relaxed digital amp with superior detail, openness, depth, smooth sweet upper end, deep defined clear bass, and no etch! 
The DAC STM's value is off the charts for the sound quality it produces. This isn't an "at this price point" good sounding amp. It's a superior sounding amp at any price point! Period!!

Unfortunately I have come into some unexpected financial issues and selling my 3 month old STM. The hope is that when the dust settles in I will purchase another one from Tommy. Who BTW is one of the best people in audio to deal with and know.

Chris   

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160156.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2018, 09:14 pm »
This amp is a very special piece of gear. I have had many class A, A/B, D, SET Class A, and Push Pull Class A/B amps over the years. The DAC STM bested them all. Every time I listen to the STM I shake my head and wonder "how'd he do it?"  :scratch:  A relaxed digital amp with superior detail, openness, depth, smooth sweet upper end, deep defined clear bass, and no etch! 
The DAC STM's value is off the charts for the sound quality it produces. This isn't an "at this price point" good sounding amp. It's a superior sounding amp at any price point! Period!!

Unfortunately I have come into some unexpected financial issues and selling my 3 month old STM. The hope is that when the dust settles in I will purchase another one from Tommy. Who BTW is one of the best people in audio to deal with and know.

Chris   

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160156.0

Chris,

Thanks so much for the kind words!  We'd like to add a special bonus to the deal to help you fins a new home for your STM....  If it sells this week, we'll convert it to a KING STM (400Wpc, 1kW power supply, WBT Gold posts) for a $200 adder.  Normal cost for this upgrade is $500 minimum.  Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
STM power output versus power supply voltage
« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2018, 09:17 pm »
36V Output Power:
    70Wpc into 8Ω
    70Wpc into 4Ω
    70Wpc into 2Ω
48V Output Power:
    125Wpc into 8Ω
    125Wpc into 4Ω
    125Wpc into 2Ω
60V Output Power:
    200Wpc into 8Ω
    400Wpc into 4Ω
    500Wpc into 2Ω

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2018, 10:43 pm »
Chris,

Thanks so much for the kind words!  We'd like to add a special bonus to the deal to help you fins a new home for your STM....  If it sells this week, we'll convert it to a KING STM (400Wpc, 1kW power supply, WBT Gold posts) for a $200 adder.  Normal cost for this upgrade is $500 minimum.  Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Tommy O

Wow!

Very generous of you Tommy! :thumb:

A very good deal for someone who needs the power.

ctk

Re: NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread_line Level out to sub?
« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2018, 01:56 am »
You can run the outputs to a "speaker level input" on a sub, but some subs ground the negative side (mostly older models).  If this is the case, it can damage stuff, so post your sub model and we'll take a look....

Also, keep in mind we have a November Sale going on (see below)....  Thanks.

My Quad L-Series sub is older, but not TOO old I hope. Not sure if you can ascertain from included link, but would appreciate if you would check it out.
Thanks Much Tommy!
http://www.aviyaffe.com/store/files/Quad%2022L.pdf

smargo

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2018, 05:34 pm »
This thread will be about "all things Stereo Maraschino"....

tommY:

can i use  a wireless sub? or can you make a mod to my unit that i can use a sub?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2018, 08:36 pm »
tommY:

can i use  a wireless sub? or can you make a mod to my unit that i can use a sub?
You can use any sub that takes a speaker level input as long as it doesn’t ground the negative side of the outputs (only old designs do this).

smargo

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2018, 03:19 am »
what makes the maraschino so good is the timing and pace of the music - its just nailed - so many designers make nice sounding stuff - but the timing leaves you wanting

In terms of the amp sounding digital - really? - it sounds so musical - its very rich sounding - ok maybe not to the nth degree - but when you have musicality and timing together - you dont care so much about other things

dj1228

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:12 pm »
I have just ordered one and cant wait to get it! Already own the King version of the desk top Maraschino and love the smooth open sound, Also the convenience of signal sensing  turn on is a fantastic feature.
Thanks for making such great product Tommy and staff.

matevana

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:23 am »
Has anyone bypassed the volume potentiometer on their STM? I am currently using mine as a power amp and was wondering about even better SQ if it were bypassed.

Thanks, 

smargo

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2019, 02:53 pm »
Has anyone bypassed the volume potentiometer on their STM? I am currently using mine as a power amp and was wondering about even better SQ if it were bypassed.

Thanks,

Not sure what you mean - If you mean that you are using the marschino as an integrated amp - then what i do is turn the volume on the m almost all the way up and use a preamp with a remote control - id say i probably get 90% of the sound - then when i use the m as an integrated - as an integrated - the potentiometer  i found is very transparent - as a power amp it gets me 90% there.

matevana

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:18 pm »
Not sure what you mean - If you mean that you are using the marschino as an integrated amp - then what i do is turn the volume on the m almost all the way up and use a preamp with a remote control - id say i probably get 90% of the sound - then when i use the m as an integrated - as an integrated - the potentiometer  i found is very transparent - as a power amp it gets me 90% there.

I'm asking about removing the volume pot from the signal path entirely (bypassing). It's an easy mod that I've done elsewhere and depending on the original quality of the potentiometer, sometimes SQ gains can be significant. I'm the 2nd owner so I'm not concerned w/warranty issues, etc.

smargo

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:38 pm »
i would like to know how to do it as well - im sure tommy - the owner knows - (855) 753-0900