Speaker stands for the Keelin?

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« on: 14 May 2004, 01:06 pm »
Hi Mike,
Can you recommend a decent speaker stand for the Keelin? Something reasonably priced that could be filled with shot? I have mine on a cheap wood stand at, I think, 14" tall. I think they should be a little higher, maybe 16 - 18". I've looked everywhere, everything I find with decent quality is too tall. Any suggestions?

Shamrock Audio

Re: Speaker stands for the Keelin?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2004, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: Merle
Hi Mike,
Can you recommend a decent speaker stand for the Keelin? Something reasonably priced that could be filled with shot? I have mine on a cheap wood stand at, I think, 14" tall. I think they should be a little higher, maybe 16 - 18". I've looked everywhere, everything I find with decent quality is too tall. Any suggestions?

Hi Merle,

We've had several customers who have suggested that we offer stands for our products - one's that would match the finish of our speakers. We've also had a few stand manufacturers approach us for our recommendation. We got burned by a company who simply disappeared, and we only found out as we were trying to place an order for our customers. No one likes that.

While I haven't seen them myself, Parts Express has a pair of high-mass 18" stands for $92.25 (240-749). Might be worth a look.

I suppose we could make you a pair, but not for that price I'm afraid.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2004, 04:42 pm »
Well, everything looks great with the Parts Express stand except for one thing. The top plate is 8 3/4" X 9 3/4". Too wide for the Keelin.
Also, the poll above does not seem to take votes. [?]

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2004, 05:02 pm »
Hi Merle,

Take a look at their other 18" stands (240-747). The top plate is 7 1/16 square. Other than that, look at Skylan or I could make you a pair.

The poll seems to work for me. Anyone else having problems?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2004, 03:19 am »
Merle,
    At a higher cost...$250.00 range...the Osiris stands work great with the Keelin's.The stand is 24" tall. It really is a excellent stand....here's a review...
http://www.sigsound.com/NU&DInfoPages/Osiris_Review.htm [/list:u]
    How do the Keelin and Eilish compare ?? Have not seen any of your comments. :) [/list:u]

Merle

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2004, 09:17 pm »
Hi Wolf,
I have not commented on the comparisons between the Keelin and the Eilish on purpose. It is hard for me to make meaningfull comments because I have them in two different systems, in two different rooms, with two very different sources. That being said, I will offer the following. They do not sound alike. I think, so far, that the Eilish has a sweeter top end while the Keelin has more punch in the bass. I understand why the Keelin has more bass but I can't figure out why the treble between the two speakers should sound so different, seeing how they share the same tweeter. [care to comment on that Mike?] I love them both but I think the Eilish might be more my kind of speaker. It, to me, sounds sweeter, more detailed, and just more like what a truly excellent speaker sounds like. Again, I really like small, hi-end loudspeakers [I've been a Totem far for years] so the fact that I'm leaning towards the Eilish probably says more about my preference in speakers than it does about which Shamrock is the better speaker. I also really, really like the walnut finish on the Eilish's and even that may be leaning me more in the direction of the Eilish. I am currently selling off parts of my bedroom system and am in the process of refurbing a turntable. [see the continuing saga at AA's vinyl asylum] I am toying with the idea of selling off one pair and keeping the other as my main speakers in my basement system. I have sold one of my Jolida integrateds and a nice Rotel tuner and purchased a turntable, a cartridge, a phono preamp and a record cleaning machine. My remaining "good" gear is in the basement with the Keelins. The Eilish are now playing thru some cheaper stuff I had laying around the house. I am not sure at this point if I intend to keep the current turntable. I may be looking for a better one shortly, thereby concentrating everything on the basement system for serious listening. [long way of saying I'm thinking about going to only one good system in the house :)] If that is the direction I end up going, then I may end up selling one pair as well as some other stuff laying about and dumping that money into a better turntable. Which pair? Frankly, I could live long term with either pair, but my heart says "Eilish!".

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2004, 12:22 am »
Thanks for your comments Merle, and good luck with your new system !! :)

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2004, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: Merle
Hi Wolf,
I have not commented on the comparisons between the Keelin and the Eilish on purpose. It is hard for me to make meaningfull comments because I have them in two different systems, in two different rooms, with two very different sources. That being said, I will offer the following. They do not sound alike. I think, so far, that the Eilish has a sweeter top end while the Keelin has more punch in the bass. I understand why the Keelin has more bass but I can't figure out why the treble between the two speakers should sound so different, seeing how they share the same tweeter. [care to comment on that Mike?] I love them both but I think the Eilish might be more my kind of speaker. It, to me, sounds sweeter, more detailed, and just more like what a truly excellent speaker sounds like. Again, I really like small, hi-end loudspeakers [I've been a Totem far for years] so the fact that I'm leaning towards the Eilish probably says more about my preference in speakers than it does about which Shamrock is the better speaker. I also really, really like the walnut finish on the Eilish's and even that may be leaning me more in the direction of the Eilish. I am currently selling off parts of my bedroom system and am in the process of refurbing a turntable. [see the continuing saga at AA's vinyl asylum] I am toying with the idea of selling off one pair and keeping the other as my main speakers in my basement system. I have sold one of my Jolida integrateds and a nice Rotel tuner and purchased a turntable, a cartridge, a phono preamp and a record cleaning machine. My remaining "good" gear is in the basement with the Keelins. The Eilish are now playing thru some cheaper stuff I had laying around the house. I am not sure at this point if I intend to keep the current turntable. I may be looking for a better one shortly, thereby concentrating everything on the basement system for serious listening. [long way of saying I'm thinking about going to only one good system in the house ] If that is the direction I end up going, then I may end up selling one pair as well as some other stuff laying about and dumping that money into a better turntable. Which pair? Frankly, I could live long term with either pair, but my heart says "Eilish!".

Hi Merle,

I see that you've decided to sell the Eilish speakers. I'm curious about why your post above seems to indicate a preference for them over the Keelin, yet the Eilish are the one's you decided to sell? Is it due to the stands? What was the deciding factor? It couldn't have been the difference in the sound of the tweeters.  :scratch:

Merle

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2004, 04:16 pm »
Hi Mike,
I actually do slightly prefer the Eilish's. That in no way means I don't adore the Keelins! I'm in the process of just setting up one good system in the basement and I want to add a good analog set-up. That being said, I have serveral items I could move to come up with the cash for the turntable. Now, why sell the Eilish and not the Keelins? Simple. I still have the wood crate for the Eilish, their smaller, thus cheaper to ship, and last but not least, if I only had one pair of speakers, I think the Keelins might be a better choice, due to the fact they have deeper bass and my basement room is a good bit bigger than my bedroom. The larger speaker will work better in my basement! It looks like I'm going back to my Sharp digital system in the bedroom. The Eilish's deserve better.

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2004, 04:54 pm »
Thanks, Merle. I was just curious.

To be honest, I had completely missed the floorstanding thing. I never considered it an issue, but apparently it is and a big one! I thought that because your search for stands hadn't been productive, perhaps that may have been an issue.

In any case, someone is going to get a nice set of speakers from you. :)