Tripp-Lite isolation-transfomer-based power-conditioners?

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Anyone use Tripp-Lite's isolation-transformer-based powerconditioners, the 'IS' series? 
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=839

They're rather homely, industrial-looking devices that are quite affordable, with street prices at c. $100, $200, and $300 for the 250-, 500-, and 1000-Watt units.  I found this '500 and a new '1000 on eBay at really low prices (total of $170 for the 2), and I plan to feed my poweramps* with them. 

The p-con's biggest component, of course, is the isolation transformer. 

In the used '500, the 2 (cheap, Chinese, screw-terminalless) duplex outputs...

...are wired in parallel and with a surge-shorting MOV, and there is one noise-filtering cap wired across each duplex outlet. 

During Sonic Craft's current selective-clearance sale, I bought a bunch of Furutech and FIM duplex outlets to replace the triple-trio of cryo'd Hubbel outlets in the backend of my system.   For these 2 TL p-cons, I have on the way some some entry-level stuff--DH Labs PowerPlus 12g. powercable, a pair of Marinco 90-degree male plugs, a quad of higher-quality SoniCap 'propylenes, and more Furutech duplex outlets.  I hope I'll be able to hear a difference with the p-cons in or out.

A PS Audio Quintessence, their then-top-of-the-line passive filter...

...powers the frontend of the system.  Visible far rear is the male plug of the all-Furutech-cable-and-ends cable feeding the p-com.

* Two V'steen woofer amps, 1 Crown SW amp, and 3 Marantz MA-500 amps driving the surround and center speakers.  I'm 'saving' the main poweramps for a better p-con...I hope an Audience aR2p-TO.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Re: Tripp-Lite isolation-transfomer-based power-conditioners?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm »
Have received all 3 of the Tripp-Lite p-cons...two '500s and one '1000.  The '1000 has 2 toroids in it...

...and uses a 14g. powercord but is otherwise visually identical to the 2 '500s.  I now have a '500 and a '1000 feeding 6 poweramps (other than the main McCormack '750s), and I'll build one '500's transformer into a DIY isolation-transformer-based p-con for the frontend.  It'll include a Toroid Corp. balanced IT for the analog equipment's duplex outlet and the 500-Watt Tripp-Lite IT driving 2 duplexes feeding the digital equipment.  I plan to use a Furutech IEC-inlet/line filter...
http://www.furutech.com/a2008/product2.asp?prodNo=367
...and a gas-discharge tube for surge protection on the frontend.  After the ITs will be 3 very-hi-quality outlets feeding the 5 pieces of frontend equipment.  I'll use a SoniCap 600V. metalized-'propylene cap across each digital-equipment outlet and a 1000V-rated Mundorf Silver/Oil across the the preamp's outlet.

Will build all into an aluminum-bottomed, custom-wood case.  I hope it'll sound better than the PS Audio Quintessence.

Will also be adding a SoniCap across the line within a couple pieces of digital equipment to reduce the hi-freq. noise generated within the equipment and passed back on the powercord.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2012, 05:50 pm by jeffreybehr »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:21 pm »
Gary Dodd told me at a meet that torroids aren't good to use in line filtering equipment.  I forgot the reason he gave.  I've got a Tripp-Lite filter unit plugged into a Brick Wall filter/surge protector.  I have been considering isolation transformers and look forward to your final "sound" evaluation.

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:44 pm »
Gary Dodd told me at a meet that torroids aren't good to use in line filtering equipment.  I forgot the reason he gave......

A basic toroidal transformer is high bandwidth devices with overwound primary and secondary, with an inherent large amount of capacitive coupling between the two. This is why they can actually be used as tube output transformers.

Please note that on Jeff's isolation transformers there are green wires coming out of the windings. This is indicative of a electrostatic shield between the primary and secondary that will provide a capacitive shunt to ground for high frequencies between the two. Any transformer with overwound primaries and secondaries has this problem whether E-Core or toroidal, etc... Other types of transformers often times physically separate the windings [on separate bobbins] to minimize this capacitive coupling.

Yes, it is truly sad that most toroidal transformers on our av components lack this shield.

FWIW,
Paul

Haoleb

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
I've been using one of those Tripp Lite IS1000 units for a few years. Most recently I brought it back from hawaii with me the last time I was there in my carry-on  :thumb: needless to say the TSA agent screening my bags had to search what the heck I had in my duffelbag. It wasnt too fun lugging that thing around the airports either come to think of it..

I First picked it up off of here to try on my Odyssey Tempest to try and get rid of the phono hum. It did not work for that but I have kept it in my system powering all of my sources and preamp since then. Sonically was there a difference? eh who knows... I use it for the additional level of protection and filtering the isolation transformers add more than anything else.