Good 6-8 Outlet power Strip

Wig

Good 6-8 Outlet power Strip
« on: 22 Jan 2012, 07:54 pm »
Guys,

Looking for a good source for powerstrips and possibly surge protection if that's required?

Thanks,
Ron :D

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Good 6-8 Outlet power Strip
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:03 pm »
I like these http://www.wiremoldproducts.com/catalog/Legrand+-+Wiremold_compact-plug-in-outlet-center-6-outlets-and-switch.htm?sid=78C013A499C0C735684D7914E7AA515B&pid=1228
made by Wiremold. I have a four outlet version. Not sure if it matters but mine says "made in USA" on it.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm »
No surge, no power switch, no lights, no nothing to mess with the sound. It was the strip NAIM recommended in the past.

Wiremold L10320

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:17 am »
Another vote for the wiremold. I use one in my system. Have for over a decade!

ssglx

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2012, 01:24 am »
Furutech e-TP80. A little more than a power strip, but I really like mine.

Wig

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:12 am »
Guys,

Thanks for the info! Does it matters that they do not come with a IEC to replace the cord? I didn't see the L10320 model but will look into a 207BC with 6 outlets.

Ron

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:27 am »
IEC would be nice and honestly the wiremold is a bit over priced for what it is. I think I paid $30-40 for it 10 years back. If you want something more extravagant then the wiremold I would maybe look at other solutions like power conditioning or a bybee conditioner or some other fancy pants box. If you want simple and good then the wiremold will be your best bet lack of IEC aside.

Wig

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:37 am »
Moving away from conditioning, sold my Torus CS-15 and will sell my 6 week old Audience Ar6 TS and hopefully the Wiremold will meet my basic needs which is about $84 for 6 outlets.

Wig

briang

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:40 am »
You could also look into the Wire World Matrix or a strip from BPT.

rw@cn

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2012, 02:12 pm »
Synergistic makes two strips and you might be able to find a used PS Audio unit.

irishnutter

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:25 am »
You can also find other Wiremold units on ebay (sometimes NOS or new custom) that are virtually identical to the L10320 (i.,e. no breaker or switch) for much less than the L10320.

ajayrav

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:18 pm »
The WireWorld Matrix

http://www.wireworldcable.com/categories/power_cords.html

My compact living room system consists of a ART modded squeezebox Duet with a linear power supply feeding a Bel canto DAC 3 and Bel Canto M300 monoblocks.  The speakers are Morel Octave 5.2 with their dedicated stands.  Aesthetics play a large role here and the speakers are about 8 inches from the rear wall, and not as far apart as I would like them.  The sound sucked compared to my PrimaLuna rig with an Eastern Electric DAC and ACI Sapphire XL speakers.  I changed the Bel Canto balanced cable for WyWires and the sound took a large step forward.  I also replaced all the power-cords with Shunyata Venoms and that improved the sound a tad.  Still no patch on my main rig, or my Marantz bedroom rig with the Marantz Sa8004 CD player, PM8004 integrated and Definitive Mythos STS speakers.  All that was left was the crappy plastic power strip I was using.  Heck, I bet the outlets in the powerstrip was as good or better than those in the wall...being UL listed and all.  Replaced that with a WireWorld Matrix with a Signal cable power cord.  I was truly blown away.  There were the dynamics and refinement everyone was talking about in the reviews.  Wow, just wow.  To think I lived with this rig for two years, wondering what all the hype was about and thinking how over-hyped Bel Canto equipment was.  It now is as pleasurable to listen to as the PrimaLuna rig and blows the Marantz out of the water.  I guess the monoblocks just weren't getting adequate power delivery through the old power strip.  I don't know how else to explain it.  Since I had only one available outlet, I had never plugged the amps directly into the wall outlet.

So choose your power distribution wisely...it can make a world of a difference.  It did for me.

Ajay

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:25 pm »
You could also look into the Wire World Matrix or a strip from BPT.

had I known about the much less costly Wiremold alternative(s) I'd have likely tried them...but I bought the PPC from BPT and have been very happy with it for several years now (over 5)

This one: http://www.b-p-t.com/ppc-pure-power-center.html

On amplification and analog gear, no (in-line) filtering or surge protection has sounded best for me.

For digital, an isolation transformer is used with success. 
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2012, 09:19 pm by TheChairGuy »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:42 am »
+1 on the Wireworld Matrix.  Very basic & a bit pricey at $100 (?).  Does not include cable to wall, but has an iec connector, so you can use what you want.  I use, naturally, the wireworld aurora 5. 

john dozier

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2012, 08:33 am »
I have a problem with surges and use a "Brickwall" surge protector. Highly recommended. There are a number of different models with various configurations. More expensive than regular power strips but the peace of mind is darn well worth it. Regards

lokie

« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2012, 11:10 am »
+1 on BPT on Pure Power Center

mdconnelly

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm »
Power strip vs surge protector vs power conditioner... 3 different products, each with their own strengths, compromises and costs.

If you're looking just for a simple, well built power strip with IEC, check out the PS Audio Juicebar II.   No internal wires or switches.  It uses thick internal copper buss bars to deliver power from IEC to each outlet.

For surge protection, look at series mode protectors - ZeroSurge, SurgeX or Brickwall. 

There are a ton of power conditioners out there for audio.  My favorite is the PI Audio UberBuss.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2012, 01:11 pm »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:31 pm »
Guys,

Looking for a good source for powerstrips and possibly surge protection if that's required?

Thanks,
Ron :D

First things first. Do you have a dedicated line ? Do you live in a private home or Apt complex ? Is your TV and cable box connected to this outlet ? What is going to br plugged into the strip ?
     All of the above have an impact on what you do with conditioning, surge protection and general power connections.
    We can advise you better knowing what is what. One size does NOT fit all.

charles

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:47 pm »
That "Bus Stop" has a 15 amp IEC connector and six 20 amp receptacles!  That's a No-No.