AKSA 100 review

Carlman

AKSA 100 review
« on: 14 Apr 2003, 04:53 pm »
Just thought I'd post here and let you know I finally got a chance to review my AKSA 100N.... and the experience of obtaining it.
Here's the link:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2112

-Carl

George W

AKSA 100 review
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2003, 02:57 am »
Thanks Carlman,

I'm saving up to build one of these and it's always nice to get some reassurance  :wink:

Carlman

AKSA 100 review
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2003, 01:41 pm »
GW,
If you haven't done this before, budget a lot more time than you think you'll need.  I started running out patience because it wasn't done within a couple of hours.  I didn't know how long it would take to complete and simply forgot to give myself a time budget.  I bought a lot of stuff to prepare for assembly... like a workbench, and some better soldering tools... but, simply forgot about budgeting time.

I think, if I had to actually assemble every part on the PCB and the power supply, it would take me a month of weekends and spare time to assemble it... so, 2 months in reality.  But, that's because I have almost no knowledge of basic electronics and would be learning a lot.  If I did have that basic knowledge, I would have it done in one month.  I don't look at this kit as 'simple' but, it's not overly complex, either.  I admire people who know they can build this kind of thing.

Good luck.  I think you'll be happy with the results.  I'd compare the AKSA in the $1,k-4,k range of solid state amps... which is a lot.  It just depends on what flavor you like.  I think the AKSA has a clarity and drive that sets it apart from most solid state I've heard.  

Thanks,
Carl

George W

AKSA 100 review
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2003, 09:13 pm »
Thanks Carlman,

Hehe considering that I took over a year to build my speakers I think I will be ok if this amp takes me a while to put together.  I'm glad to see that you think this amp can hold it's own up to 4k.  Admittingly I don't have much experience in higher end audio but I'm quite certain it will best my $600 dollar receiver's amps, so I think it will be a worthwhile step up.

George

bubba966

AKSA 100 review
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2003, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: George W
Admittingly I don't have much experience in higher end audio but I'm quite certain it will best my $600 dollar receiver's amps, so I think it will be a worthwhile step up.

George

I'll tell you this, an AKSA 100wN easily bested the amps in my $2,500 receiver. So I think you'll be more than pleased with it in comparison to the receiver you're using now.

bluesky

AKSA 100 review
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2003, 12:37 am »
Hi, Aksaphiles,

In terms of building time I have taken over six months!  When I did not understand something I went out and got a book to explain it all.  I was also limited by lack of money to buy things like the toroids, wire etc.

However, I looked at it as a learning journey.  Consequently the time meant nothing but the enjoyment and pride I have got out of building my Aksa 55 watt Nirvana and TLP Nirvana has been enormous :D .  I would encourage all newbies to take this attitude and you will be well rewarded.  

I have said this before on the old HD forum but for newbies just starting out, go and get a pack of cheap resistors and a board with stacks of holes in it and solder them all on (they only cost a couple of dollars, peso's, pounds whatever).  Secondly, get one of those helping hands thingies, they help enormously.    

Thirdly, and most importantly, do not put your coffee cup next to the soldering iron.  I still do! And I still get burnt reaching for the cup and getting the iron because I don't look at what I'm reaching for! :oops:

I am now building interconnects and power cables (they look great!) and looking forward to more projects.  I originally started out trying to save money but I have now found a new interest that is fascinating, fun and really not too expensive.  I have alo found, without exception, that everyone I have dealt with has been really helpful, and only too happy to  share their their knowledge with me. :D  

Cheers,

Bluesky