New CIAudio Products at HE2006!

CIAudio

Re: New CIAudio Products at HE2006!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jul 2006, 09:15 pm »
Any plans for a multichannel amp with the same specs?
It would be great if you had a solution for ht or mc audio. Too many outlets needed for 7 monoblocks.

Sorry but no plans for a multi-channel model anytime soon.
After PLC-1 and the higher power monoblock, we'll be working on a remote controlled integrated.
These will keep us busy through the end of the year.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:10 pm »
Dusty,

Back in May 2005, in regard to the upcoming PLC•1, you stated:

Our current plan is to make a chassis the width of two CIAudio monoblocks.... Our target price is $695.

From looking at the picture in the Stereophile blog entry, it doesn't appear that it turned out that way, but it could just be me trying to deduce too much from the picture.

Does the final chassis size of the PLC•1 accommodate two D•100 monoblocks on top?

Also, can you comment on why the PLC•1 ended up being $200 more than the projected cost?

CIAudio

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:35 pm »
From looking at the picture in the Stereophile blog entry, it doesn't appear that it turned out that way, but it could just be me trying to deduce too much from the picture.

Does the final chassis size of the PLC•1 accommodate two D•100 monoblocks on top?

Also, can you comment on why the PLC•1 ended up being $200 more than the projected cost?

The PLC•1 was just a vision back in May of 05. The actual product we will release is quite a bit different, with more features, and also uses a new machined all-aluminum chassis and custom full-feature remote. The new chassis and better remote add to the build cost, but we feel it's worth the extra $$. The new chassis type will be used in future higher end products. None of our products are made to stack, as this is usually not a good idea.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2006, 12:25 pm »
Now, it's time for the most important question:

How does the ALPS remote volume pot compare to your custom & ingeniously designed, beryllium wiper pot? :scratch:

CIAudio

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jul 2006, 03:13 pm »
How does the ALPS remote volume pot compare to your custom & ingeniously designed, beryllium wiper pot?

The ALPS potentiometer is also custom made for us.
It has equal or better sound quality, and it's quieter with better tracking and feel.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jul 2006, 10:44 pm »

The ALPS potentiometer is also custom made for us.
It has equal or better sound quality, and it's quieter with better tracking and feel.

How many pots did you have made this time--25 thousand? :rotflmao:

CIAudio

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2006, 02:09 am »
How many pots did you have made this time--25 thousand?
:o

divided by 25  :icon_lol:

Robert57

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2006, 05:29 pm »
The PLC-1 looks fabuous. Will this be purely a passive switch design or will it also contain a sizable transformer (TVC) to add some  slight gain (6 db) and sound heft (ala Bent NOH, Music First)?

Thanks.

Rob

CIAudio

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2006, 06:29 pm »
The PLC-1 looks fabuous. Will this be purely a passive switch design or will it also contain a sizable transformer (TVC) to add some  slight gain (6 db) and sound heft (ala Bent NOH, Music First)?

Purely passive, no transformers...I don't like coloration they add.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2006, 10:58 pm »
Purely passive, no transformers...I don't like coloration they add.

Dusty's approach to audio is surely not for everybody. :nono:  Look at people's comments about the Monolithic PS-1 when compared to other 'thermoionic' units.  They listen but they don't listen.  If only they had a real pair of ears!!! :oops:  True! Steve Rothermel, speaker designer for Ridge Street Audio came over one Friday night and listened to my Monolithic PS-1 & CI passive hooked to my KAB moded 1200, modded DJ cartridge and all them Ridge Street Audio ICs...with my Modwright Swans M1.  He got goose bumps immediately.  Got to follow Dusty's 12 step program.  I don't exactly, as his cousin Danny Boy has his own 12 step version,too--and I miraculously happen to keep them in harmony within the confines of my audio system!

Dusty & Greg go for transparency, linearity, silence and speed.  Musicality is purely a byproduct... :banghead:

Jokes aside, Dusty, Robert Schult of Ridge Street Audio and Danny Boy (Modwright)were personally involved in helping me design my extremely challenging audio rig.  Like Bruce Lee said, I absorbed what was useful--and stored the rest, just in case it's needed later.  A really good example of this interaction can be found in this particular forum, when I was setting up my system with Dusty's passive pre and a Marchand X-9 Deluxe electronic crossover.  Danny Boy modified it for this specific application with impressive results.  Robert Schult worked on the cable end of the setup.  I am grateful indeed.

Marbles

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2006, 02:21 am »
Pyschoanimal, if you ever get a chance to listen to Steve Rothermel's Ridge Street Audio Sason speakers in your system, you will know what nirvana is really all about....

They do more things well then any other speaker I know of.