what are the audio publications currently reviewing CIA..

ohlins

hi dusty....

other than stereophile and positive feedback that have wrote about the d series amps......what are the other publications that are currently reviewing the d100 or d200?....

i am looking forward to more subjective opinions....haha....especially positive ones...

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2006, 05:04 pm »
D-200 is at TAS but not sure when a review will be out.
Enjoy the Music also has a pair for review.
Our UK distributor has also submitted D-100 or 200 (not sure which) to some of the English magazines...that's about all we know at this time.

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2006, 07:23 am »
Also TONE Audio is reviewing the D-100's

ohlins

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2006, 09:33 am »
that's great!

i must congratulate you guys for doing a brilliant job, for the d100s have been one of my most satisfying purchase. they continue to amaze me with their blend of affordability and great sonics. while WS's comments in stereophile piqued my interest, it was the home audition that did the deal.

in addition i also had the opportunity to hear the d200s driving thiel 2.4s at a home audition. given the positive performance, i am pretty sure the guys at TAS would be won over.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2006, 04:16 pm »
Thanks for your kind comments and glad you're enjoying the D-100s!

-Dusty-

ludavico

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2006, 08:25 pm »
Anyone read the review of the D-200s in the new TAS (The Absolute Sound)?

I would love to hear comments from D-200 owners.

Thanks.

studley

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2006, 11:40 pm »
Dusty
are you able to give us any quotes from TAS review?  Do they make any comparisons to that other D class amp they reviewed and liked?

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2006, 03:38 am »
I don't have my subscription copy yet to quote...I only saw a rough draft.

I do remember them mentioning that our D amps were much more refined and glitch free in comparison to the NuForce.
They also described the sound as being smoother & richer, but felt it might lack in retrieving the last bit of resolution.
Some people interpret noise/distortion as resolution...the NuForce has rising distortion at high frequency...maybe this is what he meant by more alive sounding...I dunno.

Which is best will always be subjective...Chris Martens mentions this and says he can see people choosing one or the other based on their personal preferences. We have many customers who've tried both and kept the D-200's. We don't expect everyone to like them...just the majority :-)

ludavico

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:18 pm »
I suggest you get a copy of the review, Dusty.  

Man, I was really surprised...   :?

CornellAlum

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:26 pm »
I wasn't, because the reviewer has an obvious distaste for cladd d audio technology and it shows.  He goes into a listening session with an obvious bias and it shows.  They blasted nuforce even thought he other publications love them, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:52 pm »
Man, I was really surprised...

Surprised about what?

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:53 pm »
I wasn't, because the reviewer has an obvious distaste for cladd d audio technology and it shows. He goes into a listening session with an obvious bias and it shows. They blasted nuforce even thought he other publications love them, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

What review are you talking about, TAS liked both.

ohlins

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:14 am »
I was thinking: if not for the ML pre-power review, they should have put the D-200 on the cover!

CIAudio

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:39 am »
I was thinking: if not for the ML pre-power review, they should have put the D-200 on the cover!

D-200's look nice, but probably not enough of an eye catcher when sitting on the news stand. We're working on some new stuff that may be worthy though  :wink:

denjo

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2006, 07:55 am »
D-200's look nice, but probably not enough of an eye catcher when sitting on the news stand. We're working on some new stuff that may be worthy though

Dusty,
The CIAudio cube designs are strong branding statements that make your products unique and novel, differentiating your products from the crowd! Don't change them, they are what makes CIAudio so special!

tvyankee

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2006, 01:00 pm »
tas likes them alot and compares them to the nuforce ref-9 and  thinks its a matter of taste on which one you will like better.

the reviewers name is Chris Martens

hope this helps.

ludavico

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:50 pm »
TAS liked then alot...?  Are we referring to same article?

To quote:

"Its just that there is an elusive layer of dynamic accuracy, or intensity if you will, that the D-200s can't quite reach"  -TAS, C. Martens

"The fact is that the D-200s sound very good, with no vices whatsoever, while the slightly more costly [NuForce] Reference 9s offer elements of true sonic greatness..." -TAS, C. Martens

Do these statements sound like matters of taste to you?

Look, I really want to buy the D-200s; so I was hoping that owners and fans of the D-200 would chime in and point out the glaring inconsistencies of the review (hell, just look at the two quotes above) and proclaim the article bunk.

Yeah, I am surprised...

Of course a personal audition is the only way to  get at the true answers; but that is not easy when you live far from Santa Barbara.

CIAudio

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2006, 05:41 pm »
"Its just that there is an elusive layer of dynamic accuracy, or intensity if you will, that the D-200s can't quite reach" -TAS, C. Martens

"The fact is that the D-200s sound very good, with no vices whatsoever, while the slightly more costly [NuForce] Reference 9s offer elements of true sonic greatness..." -TAS, C. Martens

Do these statements sound like matters of taste to you?

Look, I really want to buy the D-200s; so I was hoping that owners and fans of the D-200 would chime in and point out the glaring inconsistencies of the review (hell, just look at the two quotes above) and proclaim the article bunk.

When speaking to Chris Martens, he informed me that all of his colleagues didn't come to the same conclusion and some preferred the D-200's over the Ref. 9's in the same system, so it is somewhat a matter of taste.

He also told me they have three writers reviewing a total of six class D models, and are then passing each of them to the other reviewers for their comments. The results are scheduled to be published a few issues down the road. My guess is that there will be mixed views regarding each model...we'll have to wait and see.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2006, 05:43 pm »
ludavico:
 I tried out both the Nuforce 9's and the D-200's. I kept the D-200's They were more to my taste than the 9's

Cheers
                   Charlie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2006, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
ludavico:
 I tried out both the Nuforce 9's and the D-200's. I kept the D-200's They were more to my taste than the 9's

Cheers
                   Charlie

Charles,
How did they taste?  What are the reasons you decided D-200?  I did some searching so I know your setup, and I know you had the classic RF and FM radiation problems with the 9.02's, but you also mention they have a great low end and a killer midrange.  What made you choose D-200's over that?   I am very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of D-200's and three D-100's for a 5.1 system and am interested in real-world comparisons.
thanks in advance