open baffle enclosure for FRS

jazzz

open baffle enclosure for FRS
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 02:06 pm »
Will like to build a open baffle enclosure for a pair of coral flat 8 FRS.. will like to hear some comment from you guy if this could work as the Q is only 0.5.

Btw , how do you guy determine the width of the " wing " for the baffle ? want to build something like attached...is it better to have the driver lower to the floor and fire the driver upward or better to keep it 90 to the floor ?

http://www.acuhorn.pl/as2005/phy.JPG

I have seen a horizontal plate that is mount on the top side of the driver behind the baffle plate..what is that for ?...as seen in this hyperlink

http://boozhoundlabs.com/jbl-le8t/images/le8t-rear.jpg

mcgsxr

Re: open baffle enclosure for FRS
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 04:00 pm »
Welcome to AC Jazzz, and welcome to the Open Baffle Circle!

I think that experimentation is the the key here, and that the QTS of 0.5 certainly gets you in the ballpark.

As for wings, and driver placement, it is open to interpretation.  I use the driver up higher on the baffles, as per your link, and find it fine, WITH bass augmentation.  Others have commented that they find the lower mounting, and associated angling of the baffle satisfactory.

As for the horizontal baffle on the rear, directly over the driver, it is simply a way to add effective baffle, without adding to the actual baffle.

Anything that keeps the front and rear wave apart qualifies as effective baffle.  There are pros and cons for the use of such rear obstructions, as you start to go away from the true figure 8 dipole model, and use U or other frame types.

For wing sizing, I simply experimented.  Some intelligent folks around here suggest the use of mdf as your first baffle, and use cardboard etc as the wings, so you can optimize your structure, as you play around.  Then you can make an appropriate baffle out of whatever material you choose, and know how it will sound in your room, with your gear, to your ears etc.

All the best!