I think I am out of control...upgraditis.

Paret

• Keller, TX
Re: I think I am out of control...upgraditis.
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2014, 12:25 am »
You can keep your HT separate from your 2ch even when you keep them in the same room.

I have my HT receiver connected through my AVA pre amp and I had Frank install one of his by pass switches.
I use my AVA amp to drive the front speakers on my HT and my 2 ch but using separate components for each.

Works like a dream and my HiFi sounds great. Your Salks match great with AVA equipment and the bang for buck is unreal.

Check them out.

:thumb:

Paul K.

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm »
Sounds like you're being very sensible.  Having your wife's blessing indicates so.
Paul

I'm not addicted. I'm not addicted. I'm not.....

I'm still playing catch up, so I'm still realizing large improvements in sound quality. Half of my equipment is second-hand, so I'm getting really good bang for my bucks. Lastly, and this is key, my wife finally accepts this hobby of mine so long as I sell off the older stuff. Party!

sfox7076

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2014, 01:55 pm »
Or that she has shoes that are hidden somewhere that she doesn't want to discuss the price of...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2014, 04:08 pm »
Or that she has shoes that are hidden somewhere that she doesn't want to discuss the price of...

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :lol:

Actually, she's very much the spend thrift. She started out being opposed to my buying expensive seeming toys, but then she noticed one neighbor bought himself a new Harley ($35k), another neighbor's wife has a horse (idk how much $$, but purchase price + boarding + trailer + food= $$$$$!!) . Then, she remembered that her parents are living in a flat/condo in Taiwan that we're paying for, and the car my father-in-law drives... (talk about happy in-laws)...So, yeah. I get to buy some things now and then.  :thumb:

DEP14

« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2014, 07:15 pm »
Well,

I couldn't help myself.  Bought a used Classe CA 5200 to go along with my SSP-800.  DAMN IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!!!  I think I'm actually done with upgrades for a while (besides figuring out how I want to do digital audio, and maybe having jim build me up some rears at some point).  But from a main speakers, amp, and pre-amp standpoint.  I've spent way too much, thank goodness for lightly used equipment!!!

But the SS8, Classe combination is absolutely fantastic.  BRM was correct in what a huge difference the pre-pro makes from a 2 channel listening standpoint, and for me this Classe is outstanding.  The amp was the cherry on top in that it has once again proven you can never have too much power.  The Butler 5150 was and still is a fantastic amp, and frankly at retail I would tell someone that the Classe is not worth 3x the Butler 5150.  But at used, depreciated prices... it is awesome.

That said, the Pre-Pro made the biggest difference outside of the speakers.  I'm really happy actually with the DAC's inside the SSP-800 as I'm just using my Oppo 103 as a source for now.  Digital music is my next frontier as I'd like to get my CD rack out of the room, and work on going to Hi-Res material.

mresseguie

« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2014, 01:02 am »
Damned nice amp!  :bowdown: :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2014, 02:40 pm »
I am in the process of having mono-blocks made for my new exotica 3s.  1625 tube based amps.  I am stoked for them all to be done.  Exoticas are being veneered as we speak...

Shawn

mresseguie

« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2014, 05:11 pm »
After my hearing the E3s at Axpona, I know you're going to enjoy them in your home. Congratulations!

I'm curious to hear what selection process you used to decide which amps to buy. As you know, there is a huge selection of manufacturers out there. The are tube amps, hybrids, and solid state, and what else? Had you considered Frank's Fet Valve amps (400R, 600R)?

As a 'tube noob' I'm interested in any tidbits you care to share.

Michael

P.S. I'm still listening to the T8 and have not yet switched back to my old i3.3 for a comparison. I really like what I am hearing.

sfox7076

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:38 pm »
I am a big tube lover.   I had the AVA Ultra 550 amp.  I liked it a lot, but wanted a more "tube" sound.  I currently use an AVA Ultimate 70 to drive my HT2-TLs at home right now.  At work I have a Dodd EL84 based battery powered amp.  I was going to pair the T-8 with that if I kept it.  Instead, I feed the Dodd amp with my chord hugo, which has its own preamp section in it.

I love the Ultimate 70, but I wanted to try something new, and the looming issue I have is that I know that my Mullard EL34 XF2s and 5AR4 will not last forever.  The 5AR4 could live forever, but the EL34s won't.  I love them.  They sound great, but replacing them will cost $1000 or so if I want Mullard again.  I also wanted to lessen heat from the amps if I could.  So I am going with 1625 based amps, which are at 12v plate voltage.  1625s are the 12 volt version of the 807 tube.  The 807 tube family is a repinned 6L6 tube.  They have each been used a lot for tube amps.  The 1625 tubes run about $5 each NOS unmatched, and no more than $10 for matched or the like.  I got a case of 50 NOS National Union 1625 tubes that are all still in the same case from their delivery to the navy in 1944.  I paid for less for those tubes than a single NOS EL34.  The front end inverter tubes are 12SX7/12SN7 tubes, which are also 12v tubes.  The 12 volts across the board will mean less current draw than the lower voltage tubes and, hopefully, produce less heat.  The 12SN7s are not as cheap as the 1625s, but are $10-20 each.  So retubing both amps will cost $80 or so.  They also push 100w+ per channel as opposed to 35w+ per channel.  I won't need the power with the Exoticas, but I am happy I will have it.

Shawn