Wood Type

Fltguy

Wood Type
« on: 11 Nov 2023, 06:12 pm »
Awhile back, I printed these pictures. I am still intrigued by this specific woofer and the wood utilized for the top and bottom. A layman's guess might be purple heart? I want to complete my dual woofer tower in a similar fashion. Anybody familiar with these speakers?

WGH

Re: Wood Type
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2023, 06:49 pm »
The wood could be purple heart but if these speakers are factory made then I doubt it plus based on the photo the color is not right. Purple Heart is expensive at $15 bd. ft. and very hard, machining and sanding takes forever.

Birch tends to warp, cup and tricky to stain because the grain reverses. Hard maple is just that - too hard. Not pine or fir either (no they are not the same wood).

A best guess would be a light colored, affordable, available in wide planks, tight grain without pores, easy to cut, sand and stain wood like soft maple.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2023, 07:42 pm »
Yes, that's purple heart. My step-daughter's favorite color is purple which is why I chose purple heart. The drivers are 8" open baffle servo subs. The stand is Danny's design that he called The Best Speaker Stands Ever (BSSE). Her three main speakers are X-CS Encores. I'm not the best photographer so color is a little off.

Mike

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2023, 07:56 pm »