New Member - Advice Welcomed

Scott60

New Member - Advice Welcomed
« on: 9 Mar 2020, 01:30 am »
Hello Everyone,

I've just registered and already have some questions. I'm looking to put together an audio system for my home office 11x13' and need a small pair of speakers. I was considering the Klipsch RP600M and found out about the upgrades available from GR Research. I next discovered the X-LS Encore Kit which is right up my alley being a avid woodworking hobbyist. And now I've read a thread on the new Studio Monitor speaker kit.

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of these two small speakers? They are clearly differentiated by costs, but what about performance and room dependence?

Thanks!
Scott

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member - Advice Welcomed
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2020, 01:35 am »
Welcome Scott :thumb:
I will move this topic to GR Research Circle for your convenience.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2020, 12:26 pm »
Do you already have an amp? If not I would recommend Klipsch Powered Monitors (maybe The Sixes, R51PM or R41PM)). Just plug in your PC or source and you are done. Great SQ and save lots of $$$ on speaker cables and equipment.

https://www.klipsch.com/powered-speakers

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2020, 02:16 pm »
For a small room like that the X-LS will work well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2020, 03:07 pm »
Even with the stock crossover components, the X-LS Encore completely outclasses the upgraded RP600M. If you upgrade the crossover components and add the good by-pass caps, the X-LS Encore easily competes with $5,000+ monitors.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2020, 03:19 pm »
Agreed, the X-LS Encore is going to crush anything retail in that price range.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2020, 04:01 pm »
You'll need to keep the X LS Encore's out from the wall being they are a ported design if you want  the bass extension they are capable of.  If you want to  place them up close to the wall,  you can always plug the port and run them  as a sealed design. The Encores  come with decent net work  parts (film caps, lynx rsistors, and I believe basic Erse inductors)  but they are not  equivelent to those found in the Studio  monitors.

The Studio monitors  are a sealed design  with  an open baffle  tweeter.  They'll be fine up close to a wal and the open baffle GR-Neo3 will bring you  some  air and detail   I you  won't  get  from the  Encores. The  Studio monitor  comes standard with Soniccaps, Mils resistors, and Erse XO inductors as well as a set of tube connectors, definately a step up   from the Encores. 

You can order the Encore kit with the same network components but  this adds  to the cost.

The kits also use different woofers, the Encore kit uses the standard  M165 while the  Studio monitor uses the M165NQ.
http://gr-research.com/m130woofer-1.aspx
and
http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2.aspx

You won't beat the bang for buck of the Encores, they will amaze you  .... you   don't expect to get this   from a kit at that price. If you go with the upgraded network parts,  you'll be  amazed that much more.... as other's have mentioned.. they will compete with some  spendy monitors in the $5k range.

Going with the Studio monitors is going  to open things up  somewhat and take things to another level.

If you  can keep the Encores ouit from the wall say  16-18",  I think you'd be  hapy with the  bass  extension.  I have an upgraded pair in the shop  and they are   fine on their own (no sub) and they are  actually  positioned poorley due to space constraints.   I have not heard the Studio monitors yet but  with their sealed design,  I'm  thining you'd  want to add a sub  to fill in the  bottom end.

jay

Scott60

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2020, 11:25 pm »
Thank you to everyone for the very thoughtful replies. My interest in the Studio Monitor speaker kit is very high based on the comments.

I'm thinking of driving these with a PS Audio Sprout 100 integrated amplifier. Are there any potential short comings pairing the Sprout 100 with the Studio Monitors?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:03 am »
Thank you to everyone for the very thoughtful replies. My interest in the Studio Monitor speaker kit is very high based on the comments.

I'm thinking of driving these with a PS Audio Sprout 100 integrated amplifier. Are there any potential short comings pairing the Sprout 100 with the Studio Monitors?

It should be fine.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:09 am »

The speakers you chose are very high quality. If you paid retail for them, they'd be several thousand dollars. Try and match the quality of the amp with the speakers. If not, you won't fully benefit from the level of sound the speakers can produce. It's like buying a Ferrari and installing a 65mph speed limiter.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:52 am »
Keep in mind that the Sprout is PS Audio's entry level amp and the NX Studios are a very much a high end speaker. Ask me how I know? I am listening to them right now with a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated that is Rogue's top of the line and sells for $3500. It sounds incredible! I just finished the build on these and they are still breaking in but boy do they sound good so far. I can tell that they can sound even better with even higher performance gear. I can also tell you that they have quite good bass on there own. Sure subs will round out the bottom end but they are still very good on there own. You just have to be careful with the volume on bass heavy music.

The Sprout will be fine for now but I would view it as a starter amp to get you going but would want to up grade sooner than later. In fact Paul McGowen owner of PS Audio always recommends starting with the best speakers you can afford then upgrade the other equipment as funds allow so actually you can be on a good path. You will be hard pressed to find better speakers for anywhere near the price of the Studios. So if that is your budget I say go for it!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:13 am »
PS Audio has a trade in program where they will allow you up to the full purchase price of your gear towards the price of new equipment. So if you start with a Sprout then later on want to move up you won’t lose any money.

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:51 am »
"Small office system" should be just that...small. I am sure that big speakers have a lot going for them in a main system but a small office? If you are going with a desktop system using a PC and an active speaker system really cuts down on clutter and has so many benefits over a passive system. I would recommend keeping your budget under $1K for a small office. Here is a pic of a system I was using in a room about the size of the one you mentioned, JBL 230 speakers, a Parasound Zdac, Zpre, and Zamp. I was using a PC as a source and then got a Bluesound Node. That was like 5 years ago. Today I have a Klipsch Powergate (which is a dac/integrated amp/streamer $150 on Amazon) which replaced all of the parasound components AND the Bluesound Node. It costs about 20% of the prior setup and increased functionality. I think it sounds better too :).
Bigger is not necessarily better when the speakers are like 2 feet in front of your face. Those JBL's have 6.5 inch drivers, they can play LOUD and were overkill for the application. I think speakers with 4 or 5 inch drivers and a sub work just fine for near field listening.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:54 pm »
Witchdoctor is right. If you are thinking of using the Studio's as desk top speakers I would say they are way to big for that. At least like the photo he posted. They are even bigger than the ones shown. 18" tall 15" deep 8" wide. and 30 pounds.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:49 pm »
I'm definitely in the same boat as you, I want a pair of NX-Studio as desktop monitors, paired with the PS Audio Sprout 100, & small sub.

My desk is also quite large (dual 2'×4') so I'm personally not too worried about desk space, esp since I already run a dual monitors & a massive Wacom Cinitq for multitasking/art which takes up massive amounts of space as it is, and my current active speakers don't really make the situation any better or worse.

I'd definitely look at the XL-S Encore, if i could pull the desks away from the wall, but that isn't really practical in my 10"×12' bedroom.. lol

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2020, 03:01 pm »
I'm definitely in the same boat as you, I want a pair of NX-Studio as desktop monitors, paired with the PS Audio Sprout 100, & small sub.

My desk is also quite large (dual 2'×4') so I'm personally not too worried about desk space, esp since I already run a dual monitors & a massive Wacom Cinitq for multitasking/art which takes up massive amounts of space as it is, and my current active speakers don't really make the situation any better or worse.

I'd definitely look at the XL-S Encore, if i could pull the desks away from the wall, but that isn't really practical in my 10"×12' bedroom.. lol

If you are going to use a sub you can plug the ports or even leave the ports out when you build them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2020, 03:59 pm »

Studio Monitor is a way better speaker than the X-LS Encore, so you're going to be happy :)

Scott60

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2020, 06:05 pm »
PS Audio always recommends starting with the best speakers you can afford then upgrade the other equipment as funds allow so actually you can be on a good path.

This is the kind of guidance I'm looking for. I would rather get the speakers right first. I can always find an application for the Sprout 100 if I add a better amp.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful comments.

-Scott