Servo-controlled Subwoofers

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Servo-controlled Subwoofers
« on: 5 Mar 2020, 01:11 am »
Hey Danny!
I understand the general importance for servo subs in the hi-fi space, e.g. producing faster, cleaner & more controlled bass, in just about any application. And from what I've seen talked about online the most common types of servo units are controlled by measuring the input against the measured movement of the physical drivers, by either a 2nd voice-coil, or by an integrated accelerometer.

But I'm curious the primary differences between the two types, and if one is better than the other, or if one is better suited for different applications.

I've also noticed on the GR-Research driver pages, that in the woofer driver description, some mention being optimized for OB setups. I'm assuming that the OB drivers are made with a lighter material since they don't have to handle the pressures produced in a sealed box, or are they the same drivers but with different impedance levels for parallel use?

Is it possible that a similar technology could be applied to mid-bass woofers as well, or is that impractical, due to it's cost, and often higher tonal range?

Thanks!