Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.

SET Man

Re: Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:55 am »
Did you give any thought to VCap ODAM?  I have Miflex coupling caps in my preamp, but space limitations mean I had to use a smaller value than is ideal into my low-ish input impedance amp. The ODAM are getting some really positive comments, but I have yet to see a comparison to the Miflex. But the ODAM are much smaller and could fit in smaller quarters. Comments I’ve read about them suggest there’s a chance they’re playing in the same league as Miflex or perhaps even higher. Just curious if you looked into them.

Hey!

Hmmm... this is actually the first time I've heard about this ODAM. That's pricey for a poly caps I must say. They are small indeed. No, I don't think I'll try these ODAM cap specially for that price. And I have to admit that tend to like the idea of copper foil cap better than poly caps. But if you don't have room maybe it would worth a try.

But yes, the Miflex caps are big indeed. This is the biggest problem I see with Miflex. Luckily I do have enough room for them in my amps. By the way, I found that blue zip tie sounds better than the white one... just kidding!  :lol:

Anyway, I spent 3 hours listening to the Miflex in my amps tonight and again they are pretty impressive. But! Still I can't say for sure which one, they all each have strengths and weakness  :scratch:

Buddy

sns10920

« Reply #61 on: 25 Jan 2020, 09:18 pm »
I've tried many of the exotic caps in various tube amps/preamps and speaker crossovers over the years. I've found the Jupiter copper foils always nice, Vcaps more dependent on prior voicing, a bit less natural sound than Jupiter. Better Mundorfs spot light the upper frequencies for me, very impressive in short run, however. Various Duelunds always nice, again, very natural timbres. Lately, I discovered Audyn True Copper Max, using them in my Klipshorn crossovers, very nice timbre, 630v rating, so fine for coupling duty. The Duelund Silver bypass is also very impressive, I was amazed silver could sound so natural, never had good luck using silver anywhere previously. Jantzen Z Superior coppers nice at lower price point, smaller size means they fit where the larger exotics won't.

Never used the Miflex, if I have need will try. I just wonder how long price advantage will remain, may be loss leader to gain toehold in market. I believe the Jensen PIO cap failure you experienced is not unusual, I had those same caps fail in a Cary amp I owned some years ago. Those caps regularly failed in various Cary amps. I do recollect hearing those failures may have been from a bad batch, so perhaps not all those caps prone to failure?  I also read somewhere that Duelund purchased assets of Jensen, perhaps those caps will remain in production.
Scott

genjamon

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jan 2020, 09:31 pm »
I totally understand the hesitance to give ODAM a try on a .22uF cap size - the prices don't scale very much with size of cap.  At the 2.2uF size I would need in my preamp, ODAM is a bit more expensive than Miflex, but cheaper than other copper foil options.  So, the question in my case is whether they're just as good as a Miflex for around the same price and smaller dimensions?  A friend says they're better than Mundorf Silver/Oil caps in his preamp, but not sure the Mundorf comparison is a good indicator relative to a Miflex.  I really don't have the extra cash to just spring and give it a try, so trying to find the best points of comparison I can before I commit any funds. 

But this is all a bit off topic - sorry, don't mean to derail the thread with a VCap discussion.  Carry on. 

SET Man

« Reply #63 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:44 am »
I've tried many of the exotic caps in various tube amps/preamps and speaker crossovers over the years. I've found the Jupiter copper foils always nice, Vcaps more dependent on prior voicing, a bit less natural sound than Jupiter. Better Mundorfs spot light the upper frequencies for me, very impressive in short run, however. Various Duelunds always nice, again, very natural timbres. Lately, I discovered Audyn True Copper Max, using them in my Klipshorn crossovers, very nice timbre, 630v rating, so fine for coupling duty. The Duelund Silver bypass is also very impressive, I was amazed silver could sound so natural, never had good luck using silver anywhere previously. Jantzen Z Superior coppers nice at lower price point, smaller size means they fit where the larger exotics won't.

Never used the Miflex, if I have need will try. I just wonder how long price advantage will remain, may be loss leader to gain toehold in market. I believe the Jensen PIO cap failure you experienced is not unusual, I had those same caps fail in a Cary amp I owned some years ago. Those caps regularly failed in various Cary amps. I do recollect hearing those failures may have been from a bad batch, so perhaps not all those caps prone to failure?  I also read somewhere that Duelund purchased assets of Jensen, perhaps those caps will remain in production.
Scott

Hey!

Was your Cary amp from around late '90s to early 2000's? I got my amps in December 1999 and the Jensen caps that failed was made in 1999 according to the date on it. My amps use 2 in each amp, so maybe I should think about changing the other 2 also.

Anyway, the Jupiter is sure nice indeed, but I'm still undecided right now. Actually I'm thinking of running wires out under my amps so it would be easier to swap them in and out than having to lift my amps up and flip it over, not fun since they are 45lbs each.

Yes, I've read that Duelund bought out Jensen's asset so yes I'd love to see them keep making those Jensen caps again and hope the price would be about the same.

Buddy

SET Man

« Reply #64 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:04 am »
I totally understand the hesitance to give ODAM a try on a .22uF cap size - the prices don't scale very much with size of cap.  At the 2.2uF size I would need in my preamp, ODAM is a bit more expensive than Miflex, but cheaper than other copper foil options.  So, the question in my case is whether they're just as good as a Miflex for around the same price and smaller dimensions?  A friend says they're better than Mundorf Silver/Oil caps in his preamp, but not sure the Mundorf comparison is a good indicator relative to a Miflex.  I really don't have the extra cash to just spring and give it a try, so trying to find the best points of comparison I can before I commit any funds. 

But this is all a bit off topic - sorry, don't mean to derail the thread with a VCap discussion.  Carry on.

Hey!

No, not off topic at all. Actually I didn't know about the ODAM caps until you pointed it. But they are very pricey. Sure! I would love to try all the caps out there but I just don't money to do that :icon_lol:

Buddy

Freo-1

« Reply #65 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:08 pm »
My recommendation is Mundorf Silver/Gold.   They sound outstanding,  and they are reliable.

Jupiters IMHO are not meant for power amps.  They simply can't handle heat, and to me, the Mundorfs sound better. 

SET Man

« Reply #66 on: 21 Apr 2020, 11:02 pm »
My recommendation is Mundorf Silver/Gold.   They sound outstanding,  and they are reliable.

Jupiters IMHO are not meant for power amps.  They simply can't handle heat, and to me, the Mundorfs sound better.

Hey!

Well, it had been a while again.

Yes, I've read about the Jupiter melting. My SET amps never get that hot inside so that's not a problem.

So after all this time, which was the winner? The old Jensen Copper PIO won. After I tried the Miflex and Jupiter for a good amount of time. I put the spare Jensen I have in my amps and it was back to why I like the sound of these amps at the first place. Well, no surprise there, these amps came with the Jensen 20 years ago and I voiced my system over the years with those caps in them.

Anyway, here's my take on Milfex, Jupiter and Jensen in my system. Keep in mind that I can't do a quick comparison. I lived with Miflex and Jupiter for about 2-3 weeks each.

Jupiter... super smooth sound overall. A bit too syrupy in my system. But it does a wonderful job fleshing out the body of the sound, the acoustic bass have more body and etc. With good depth but lack a bit of airy feel. The high is not as extended though, but the fuller relaxing sound can be a bit very attractive.

Miflex... in my system, it reminded me of having a bit of "Happy face EQ" setting. At first it  was great but after awhile, the mid seem to be muted too much for my taste especially when I listen to something like Anna Netrebko, the mid receded a bit too much for me and this make things sound a bit smaller. Great sound stage side to side but lack the feel of the height. I do missed a bit of how the Miflex handle the bass though.

Jensen... well, I'm not surprised that I ended up with the Jensen back in my amps. Overall it is the most musical of the three to me. I think for me the Jensen have the best midrange, at least in my system, it seem to be able to spotlight the singer in the forefront surrounded by the instruments. With expansive soundstage, both side to side, depth and height. I do like that airy feel to the sound, this give me the sense of open spacious feel. OK, the Miflex have a bit better bass but the Jensen is not far behind. Although, I can see some people might feel this could be too forward sounding in some system.

So, with that I'm back where I was 20 years ago, with Jensen Copper PIO caps. The sad part is that Jensen is no longer in business. But Duelund bought out the Jensen's machinery, I emailed Part Connexion and they recommend me Duelund "JAM" line of copper PIO caps, they said they are basically Jensen copper PIO but better built. Well, that's good to know in case I want to stick with this sound.

Well, there you have it folks. Now what to do with Miflex and Jupiter caps? I don't know.  :scratch:

Buddy