Super Mini's up and playing over here.

Saturn94

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here. New videos on page 2.
« Reply #120 on: 16 Jul 2019, 02:59 am »
Sweet, thanks!   :D

I’m looking forward to hearing them at HAL’s next month.  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #121 on: 16 Jul 2019, 07:49 pm »
 :D jello speaker seekers.  Does anyone know if the version with triple 165's powered version is in design stage of ready for rollout ?  Danny, I sent you a pm. This speaker seems a mini S7 of sorts. Love the servo bass,  but totally not needed at my age unless I won the lotto.  Budget, size , weight all factor in. Thanks for the mini.  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #122 on: 16 Jul 2019, 08:06 pm »
No  3 M165 version , sending  Danny a  side loaded  4 M165 base soon.  There  are pics   earlier in thread .
More  super Mini baffles / kits   this week

jay

2bigears

« Reply #123 on: 16 Jul 2019, 09:20 pm »
 :D hi Jay. Thanks ,, and I forgot the V design you crafted ,, you have 4, 165's OB each side ?  Is that right ?  And Danny is thinking of adding an amp each side  ?  This sounds fab....  Be in Kelowna next month.  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #124 on: 16 Jul 2019, 10:32 pm »
:D hi Jay. Thanks ,, and I forgot the V design you crafted ,, you have 4, 165's OB each side ?  Is that right ?  And Danny is thinking of adding an amp each side  ?  This sounds fab....  Be in Kelowna next month.  :D

yes,   4 per channel and  they will be active ,  think Danny  has some ideas for an  amp for each channel.
Let me know when you're in town, maybe you  can  pop by for a  listen  if you  like

jay

2bigears

« Reply #125 on: 17 Jul 2019, 03:13 am »
 :D thanks Jay,, be there on the 22nd next month.  Would love to see what your cutting up in your Mad speaker lab,,,,,  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #126 on: 30 Aug 2019, 04:26 pm »
A pair of these will be off to Danny next week.
Will grab a couple better pics before  boxing

With a raw Super Mini cab on top and beside teh s7 for size  comparison

jay

DeeJayBump

« Reply #127 on: 30 Aug 2019, 06:41 pm »
Even raw, those look very nice.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #128 on: 30 Aug 2019, 07:00 pm »
Looks really good Jay!  :D

Captainhemo

Packing these up today  to get  down to Danny so  took some pics  when I  fitting up the  2nd  cabinet.

As with  most of our other  kits, bases have  contersunk screws in bottom to eliminate  the need for  really long clamps  and dowels on the top side to position the wings and  make assembly  very  easy.Bases were left  quite simple but there is room for the  builder to be creative if  one desired and still use the existing dowel/screw layout..  Or,   we can add a  roundover  to the existing base as I did in this case

Now the side panels can be perectly located onthe base via the insstalled dowels.   Each panel  has the two driver cutouts with 3/8" roundover on rear side, pre-drilled mounting screw holes,  the  4  dados for the  braceing as well as a top rebbet for the   top of the cabinet.

Next  comes the baffle.  the rear side  has  4 dados and  the upper  rabbet to match  the side panels.  There are also the 2 verticle 10 degree rabbets to mate up with the front edge of the side panels. Front side   has the  2 verticle  .5"  rouindovers

Time for some braces.  Each cabinet will have  four of these.All the inner  edges have been rounded over to help prevent defraction

The wrap around bracing leaves lots of room fo the  M165 drivers.

Finaly we have the inset cabinet  top which glues into the  rabbets cut  at top  of  side panels and baffle.

Each pair of  cabinets is mirrored so either woofers 1&3 or 2&4 can be placed to the center to keep things symetrical.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
They look great Jay!  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
How do they sound?  It looks almost like it's "semi-OB", instead of full on OB.  Do they still interact with the room the same way the H-Frame OB does?

tubav

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #132 on: 3 Sep 2019, 04:15 pm »
Hi Jay: (maybe Danny and others would chime in also)
You've done amazing work on this flat pack!
What are it's advantages over a similar design using 3 M165's  side mounted? (2 one side & 1 on the other)
What are the advantages over front mounting 3-4 M165's in the same winged design?
I realize the front baffle would be wider and that wouldn't fit the profile of the Super Mini.
I'm assuming these are the M165-16 version.
Also curious as to the amplifier used.
Thanks for any and all responses.
tubav

Danny Richie

How do they sound?  It looks almost like it's "semi-OB", instead of full on OB.  Do they still interact with the room the same way the H-Frame OB does?

The low wavelengths that they cover make it actually about the same as being front firing in the same wedge.

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 3 Sep 2019, 08:00 pm »
Four drivers offer a little more output capability and one more driver sharing the load.

The series parallel grouping also brings it back to an 8 ohm load.

The side mounting isn't much of an issue because of the lower ranges that these are restricted to. So the output should be about the same as if they were front mounted. And the front to back wave cancellation should be about the same.

Any decent plat amp could be used. I am also looking into having some made that will offer some good flexibility.

Hi Jay: (maybe Danny and others would chime in also)
You've done amazing work on this flat pack!
What are it's advantages over a similar design using 3 M165's  side mounted? (2 one side & 1 on the other)
What are the advantages over front mounting 3-4 M165's in the same winged design?
I realize the front baffle would be wider and that wouldn't fit the profile of the Super Mini.
I'm assuming these are the M165-16 version.
Also curious as to the amplifier used.
Thanks for any and all responses.
tubav

Captainhemo

« Reply #135 on: 4 Sep 2019, 06:31 am »
Will be teh  M165 08's in  series / parallel  setup as  Danny  stated  ( 2  series pairs,  each  pair wired to the  other  in parallel)

jay

Nick77

« Reply #136 on: 11 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm »
Hi Danny just curious if there will be any updates on new M165 cabinet and listening this week?? Thanks!   :popcorn:

Captainhemo

« Reply #137 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:35 pm »
Won't be this week, I haven['t  sent the  cabinets yet  :(   they are boxed and ready to go,  I just   have been  a little side tracked
Will try  and get the labels  done today  and have them   picked up tomorrow

jay

Nick77

« Reply #138 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:37 pm »
Won't be this week, I haven['t  sent the  cabinets yet  :(   they are boxed and ready to go,  I just   have been  a little side tracked
Will try  and get the labels  done today  and have them   picked up tomorrow

jay

Good work, thank you Sir. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #139 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:52 pm »

Yes, how do they sound? And how low do they go? And what is the projected or ballpark price with drivers and a suitable plate amp?

Very impressive work. Jay is a true craftsman.