RM 40 speaker cables

TRE

RM 40 speaker cables
« on: 26 Sep 2020, 12:47 am »
I think I am ready to try some better speaker cables, right now I am using a #10 gauge copper speaker cable from Amazon, it may even be cooper clad to be honest, so nothing fancy. Speakers are RM 40s, preamp is a Cary SLP98P F1 (tubes), Amps for the RM 40s are Bryston 7B ST mono blocks also have two VMPS Larger vertical subs running off a Crown XLS2502 into a Dahlquist crossover. I am thinking of new cables for the RM 40s in particular and wonder if anyone else is using a similar combination to mine and can give a recommendation. I am thinking a budget of around $500.00 if I can get a noticeable improvement over what I have. I have tried searching cables but you get sooo much conflicting info and it really seems to matter on the system combination. Thanks in advance for any help. On another note I sometimes run these in a bi Amp configuration using a Cary V12 tube amp for the mids and highs when the outside temps are a little cooler, this amp doubles as a room heater - lol.

G E

Re: RM 40 speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2020, 12:59 am »
I had all Morrow cables- IC’s and speaker- most of it in the higher end of his offerings - and I switched to Black Cat cables and haven’t looked back.

Chris Somovigo is owner operator and has a fine reputation built on true 75 ohm dilgital cables. Cardas licensed one of his designs.

His speaker cables start under $300 for the Coppertone series.

I have his 32xx series - complete loom- and it’s a great match for vmps. $649 for speaker cables if memory serves. Im running bryston 28’s

Look him up. His Facebook shows how he builds them. Like a scene out of a 19th century textile mill.

Incredible conduit of music. Can’t imagine what his high end provides.

TRE

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2020, 04:34 am »
Appreciate the info, I will look him up.

Bob Stark

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2020, 10:55 am »
I have had RM40 BCSE w/ MLS cabinets for about 7 years.  I had a another pair of RM40s, RM30's, and 626R w/ VMPS 215 sub w/ VSS upgrades.  All the speakers had the best upgrades except the OXover.  I was a VMPS demonstrator in the Chicago area for the last 4-5 years of Brian's life.  I had a Bryston 8B amp for a few years, then an Edge M6 both with an Audible Illusions 3A preamp.  I now have Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE mono amps w/ TDSS level 3 upgrades, a TRL DUDE preamp w/ upgrades, CD/SACD player from Modwright, and a heavily modified Lenco TT w/ Whest phono pre.  After learning how to voice the VMPS speakers to my room and system, I wanted to try and get a little fuller tone in the low to mid frequencies by getting the correct ICs and SCs along with power cords.  My path on speaker cables changed mightily when I got a pair of MG Planus III cables.  They were just way beyond the speaker cables I'd had prior--Morrow 4's and 5's biwired, Crimson, DNM, Audioquest Midnight biwired, Harmomic Technology Pro 9+, Speltz Anticables, Amadi Maddie Signature--all with jumpers that weren't biwired.   Then I got a pair of Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme.  They had the deeper bass, more texture in the lower mids and upper bass I was looking for.  They are about $700 with the jumpers for an 8 ft. pair.  I tried an end game set of speakers (not VMPS) and tried to coax all the performance out of them I could--that is where I bought a pair of Clarity Cables Organic SCs and jumpers.  All other cables will sound thin in comparison to them.  They have all the clarity, bass with defiinition, jumping dynamics, etc. one could ask.  They are MUCH more expensive than all the other wires I've used except the Harmonic Technology cables.  When I put the RM40s back in the system after 2 years of getting the endgame speakers to their best, the sound of the RM40s now was WAY beyond it's prior abilities, even more than my so-called ENDGAME speakers.  I must be transparent here, I also had upgraded all the other cables in this 2-3 year plan, plus recently added many PPT products.  Until I used the Clarity cables, the Speltz Anticables were continually the overall best sounding SCs I had used prior to the MGs, Amadis, and the CTGEs.  The sound I have now is absolutely wonderful in all ways.  I finally am building my listening room to it's fullest potential.  Already built the room 14 years ago in the basement--but now am taking it to an even higher level necessitated by needing more room to store records, CDs, DVDs, and cassettes.  Adding built-in bass traps in all corners along with shelving for the media in front of the traps in the rear corners.  Hopefully, the sound is at least as good as it was prior to the recent changes, BUT MAYBE...even better.  Won't know until the cabinets for the media are built and in place.  I love listening to all kinds of music through this system and am no longer looking to upgrade anything.  It appears that the RM40s I have ARE the endgame speakers, at least for my tastes.

Bob

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2020, 03:19 pm »
Dont waste your money I know this is in ref to headphone cables but a cable is a cable.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/roast-the-cable-scams.13775/

GeorgeAb

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2020, 12:28 am »
If you want to go old school (it is out of production so you have to find on used market), there is Dynaudio's (Sumiko was US distributor) OCOS (optimum connection system) cable.  It acts as a transmission line (think coax cable), so impedance does not change in the audio frequency spectrum.  Said, another way it is a true straight wire from amp to speakers. If you are using speaker cable to correct impedance mismatch from amp to speaker, then it would not be for you. The dialectric (insulation) leaks between terminals to get the cable to act like a transmission line in the audio spectrum.  Interesting paper on:  https://6moons.com/audioreviews/ring/ring.html Double or triple runs are recommended.  I have been using for some 20 years, and have never had an interest in looking for another speaker cable. I value clarity and transparency in midrange, likely typical of most VMPS fans. It is cheap; for horizontal amping, I purchased a 22' pair last year for under $300.  For subwoofers I just use Canare 4S11.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2020, 04:56 am by GeorgeAb »

TRE

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2020, 01:05 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies