M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:02 pm »
Thanks Chris. Yes, the one I hacked apart is now built into the DAC using I2S for the connection and has a very clean 5V power supply in place of pulling power from the USB bus. jkeny (I think that's right) has done this as well and has been experimenting with using batteries for the clock supplies and reports that is a very nice improvement. It's on my list..

Sounds like an awesome high-end product to me. :D Since you're using the Sabre chip, name the various models after swords---Katana, Saif, Rapier, Foil, Epee and of course Excalibur. Let me know when you're taking orders. :eyebrows:
Chris H.

jaywills

« Reply #61 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:30 pm »
A FYI, FWIW.  I've got a HiFace (coax output) that I run with an Intel iMac (3.06, 6gb ram) that had steady clicks and pops under latest Snow Leopard with latest Mac drivers.  In consultation with the folks in Italy, they determined from my system logs that it was due to my having Parallels 5 installed.  After I uninstalled Parallels, the clicks & pops stopped.   

pardales

« Reply #62 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:39 pm »
A FYI, FWIW.  I've got a HiFace (coax output) that I run with an Intel iMac (3.06, 6gb ram) that had steady clicks and pops under latest Snow Leopard with latest Mac drivers.  In consultation with the folks in Italy, they determined from my system logs that it was due to my having Parallels 5 installed.  After I uninstalled Parallels, the clicks & pops stopped.

What is Parallels 5? Is it on every Mac or a special program you have?

dwk

« Reply #63 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm »
Has anyone been following the status of Linux drivers for these devices? I remember they were "coming in the future" when the product was announced, but I haven't heard any updates as to whether there is work being done or whether it's really a 'potential future development'.

jaywills

« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:13 am »
"What is Parallels 5?"

It's an emulation program for intel macs that allows you to run various Windows Os's without rebooting.  Here's what I got from the HiFace programmer:

"Hello Jay,

by the log you sent us, my programmer has seen you're running parallel. It may be that it's sharing resources with the native OS, i.e. the USB. This could lead to problem. Can you try using hiFace after killing parallel?

Marco"

When I uninstalled Parallels 5 on the Mac I run my audio, the pops & clicks stopped.  Good luck.  Cordially,

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:58 am »
This is interesting. I was having a clicking/popping problem with some Apple Lossless files (but not AIFF). The old mini where my music lives also has Virtual PC installed. I'll have to try deleting it and see what happens.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2010, 09:41 pm »
As Mike has said, I did further mods to the unit to feed a clean 3.3V battery supply to clocks & to Xilinx chip.

To get an idea of how much better the HiFace can sound with these mods - at a recent local audio meet it easily beat a $4,500 Lector CDP-7T http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/lector_cdp7t_mkiii.htm

See here for short write-up on the listening test at a local audio meet http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318#p318

For those interested in the technical details, I've posted them starting here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/153191-m2tech-hiface-usb-spdif-24-192khz-asynch-18.html#post2048687

For those not interested in doing the mods themselves I offered to do them for 50Euro.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm »
jkeny,
The last two links you referenced are not working for some reason.  Would be very interested in reading the info.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm »
Fixed the links!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm »
Thanks!  :D

enjoythemusic

« Reply #72 on: 2 Feb 2010, 04:23 pm »
Great guy Mike Galusha got me his detailed review of M2Tech hiFace. It is now online at www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/m2tech_hiface_usb.htm

pardales

« Reply #73 on: 2 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »

Just get a short A-A extension cable, works just fine and eliminates that problem. To make them have less of a tendency to fall out would mean making it even smaller, which would be difficult as the board is already very dense. The addition of a heavy and/or stiff cable on the end almost ensures it will be stressed. That is something I should have put in the review but didn't think of at the time.

I use both of mine every day and have zero problems with them but not on a Mac, so I can't say how ready for prime time they are on that platform.

mike

Even after I upgraded to OSX 10.6 there is still the occasional pop/click, though much less than with 10.5. If it is advertised as working with MAC OSX they should get their drivers right before releasing it. I also don't think I should have to buy an adaptor to get a $160 device to stay in a port it was designed to work with. 

All this said, it does seem to do a very competent job of converting.

srb

« Reply #74 on: 2 Feb 2010, 05:38 pm »
I also don't think I should have to buy an adaptor to get a $160 device to stay in a port it was designed to work with.

I don't think it's any fault of the manufacturing of the device, but more of a marketing mistake.  It's simply a USB device that is larger and heavier than a normal flash drive AND will have a cable attached on the other end.  No one, including the manufacturer, should expect a device with that length, weight and leverage of an attached cable to be secure in a USB port.

It probably should have been designed with either a captive 6" USB cable coming out of it, or have been supplied with a 6" male to female USB extension cable.

Steve

PeteG

« Reply #75 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:35 am »
 I have a netbook and thinking of getting the hiFace. Would there be any problems with a 12-15ft BNC cable?

I see another good review by Mike :thumb:

srb

« Reply #76 on: 21 Feb 2010, 01:52 am »
The maximum length of an S/PDIF coaxial cable is specified at 10 meters.

An AudioCircle vendor, Analog Research Technology (art) manufactures the U-byte BNC cable, which is available only in a 16 foot length.  The website offers some interesting information on S/PDIF cable, connectors and controlling signal reflections.
http://www.analogresearch-technology.net/ubyte.html

Steve
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2010, 03:04 am by srb »

ferenc_k

« Reply #77 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:30 pm »
I have a netbook and thinking of getting the hiFace. Would there be any problems with a 12-15ft BNC cable?

I see another good review by Mike :thumb:

There is a way to use 15 feet active usb cable and no SPDIF at all. See the picture,the HiFace (BNC) is directly connected to the Altmann Dac  :D. The owner likes it a lot.

srb

« Reply #78 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:50 pm »
Interesting!  It seems a shame though, to diminish the 75 ohm spec with an RCA to BNC intermediary adapter in the middle.

But that could be done with any DAC - It would be interesting to compare

1. Plugging the HiFace directly into the computer and using a BNC coaxial cable to a DAC with a BNC input

versus

2. Connecting the HiFace directly to the BNC input on a DAC and using a USB cable to connect to the computer.

Hmmmmm....

Steve

ferenc_k

« Reply #79 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:01 pm »
Interesting!  It seems a shame though, to diminish the 75 ohm spec with an RCA to BNC intermediary adapter in the middle.

But that could be done with any DAC - It would be interesting to compare

1. Plugging the HiFace directly into the computer and using a BNC coaxial cable to a DAC with a BNC input

versus

2. Connecting the HiFace directly to the BNC input on a DAC and using a USB cable to connect to the computer.

Hmmmmm....

Steve

Using this extender/hub and a good external 5V power supply, there is a chance to get very good result with no SPDIF cable at all.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-PRODUCT-DETAILS.cfm?sku=USBG-EXT-2X&catid=137&cats=137