Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?

OgOgilby

Re: Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?
« Reply #40 on: 4 Aug 2009, 05:16 pm »
Currently:

OPPO DV-983H (for DVD's)
Sony NS999ES (for CD/SACD)
PS3 (for Blu-Ray - for now)
Denon 4308ci
On it's way - Denon 5910ci

I like the Oppo's video quality and the Sony more for audio. The Denon 5910ci is going to replace both the Oppo DV-983H and the Sony NS999ES and will be used for everything but Blu-Ray (which it doesn't support).

DTB300

« Reply #41 on: 4 Aug 2009, 06:08 pm »
Sony 777es with VSE Level 6+ mod and Terra Firma Lite clock
Sweet player.   

The Terra Firma Lite is a GREAT clock to add to any player.  The sound improvement versus the cost is tremendous - greater than the improvement you will get spending the same amount of $$$ on the new player.

What made you choose the TFL instead of the Uber?  For me, it was cost as I would have loved to own the Uber.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #42 on: 14 Aug 2009, 05:14 pm »
Only Sony SCD-1 original (un-modded).
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2009, 04:21 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

Freo-1

« Reply #43 on: 14 Aug 2009, 07:51 pm »
Pioneer Elite DV59-avi via i-link to a Sony STR-DA7100ES.  The i-link is a great interface for high resolution, and the 7100 is a great digital amp.

roamling

« Reply #44 on: 17 Aug 2009, 09:45 am »
I use a Keces DA-131 Mk2 Dac with a squeezebox (up to 24bit/48Khz). For material sampled at 88,2 or 96 Khz I connect the DAC through a M-Audio USB Transit to the PC.

RadioWonder

« Reply #45 on: 19 Aug 2009, 03:05 pm »
Sony SCD-1 ...would like to put the Uber clock mod in someday. May try to do the installation myself.
Oppo BDP-83...Love this player.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2009, 04:40 pm »
Slim Devices Transporter (24/96)
Denon DVD-5910CI
Oppo DV 980H

--Jerome

K Shep

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:33 pm »
Mac Mini - Ayre USB DAC

Kirk

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #48 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:25 am »
Playback Designs MPS-5
Digital Audio Denmark AX24
EMM Labs DAC8 IV
Lynx Aurora 8

All through multiple Macs and PC's using Pyramix, Lynx and RME cards.

Regards,

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #49 on: 12 Oct 2009, 01:56 pm »
Show off.   :D   (just kidding)  Thanks for joining, Bruce.   :thumb:

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:11 pm »
I use a Metric Halo ULN-8 for my recording, mixing and mastering work as well as using it as my DAC for just listening.  (I've compared it to a few dozen other contenders, including my previous favorite, the Pacific Microsonics and found the ULN-8 sounds, for the first time in my experience, like my mic feeds.)

Sources are either my computer hard drive or, for 24/96 DVDs (in DVD-V format), my trusty Sony DVD player, feeding the ULN-8.

Prior to the ULN8, I had a ULN-2, which, while limited to 24/96 can make some more expensive DACs -even some claiming 192- sound like they need some more work.  (I say "claiming" because higher rates make greater demands on clocking and many DACs I've heard actually sound more transparent to my ears at lower rates than they do at the highest.)

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm »
Present setups:
Integra DPS-8.3 Universal Player for SACD
Oppo DV981HD Universal Player -> NAD C565BEE as a DAC over optical interface for DVD-A
ASUS Netbook-> Stello U2 USB to S/PDIF->moded Lite Audio DAC-60 for HiRez files

Future:
ASUS Netbook-> M2Tech hiFace 24/192 USB->NAD C565BEE DAC section for HiRez files
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2009, 09:41 pm by HAL »

jbtrio

« Reply #52 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »
Marantz SA-7s1 SACD player.

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov 2009, 09:37 pm »
I just got my modded Oppo BDP-83 back from Modwright.  I've just listened to a few things.  After dinner, I'll listen some more.  Sounds really good.  I'm sure I'll get to comparisons eventually to other players I have.

Freo-1

« Reply #54 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:07 pm »
I picked up a Sony SCD-XA5400ES about a month ago, and it is without question, one of the BEST sounding units out there.  You can pay a lot more, but not get any more performance. (Refer to Stereophile reviews.)

Via the analog out (RCA or Balanced), all 16 bit CD's are up-scaled to 196KHz, and sent out a excellent analog output stage.  I use this for CD playback with my tube preamp/power amp setup.

Via the HDMI, if you own a Sony STR DA6400ES, (and I do) the H.A.T.S (Auto Rate Control) works wonders for the audio.  SACD NEVER sounded better. 

TooManyToys

« Reply #55 on: 12 Nov 2009, 11:30 am »
Sony NS999ES
Sony NS9100ES
Sony XA9000ES

Esoteric SA-60  (Now)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 12 Nov 2009, 02:17 pm »
I don't know anything much about this topic but I have an OPPO DV 980H and I just bought an Audio Mirror Tubadour DAC. Here's what it looks like --
http://www.audiomirror.com/dac.html

Is this Hi Rez territory?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #57 on: 12 Nov 2009, 02:32 pm »
Yes.  That DAC does 24bit/192KHz two channel.

You may have to setup the Oppo digital output to send 24bit/192KHz out the S/PDIF coaxial or optical connection.  It is in the setup on my 981HD.

It sounds really good with the Reference Recordings HRx discs if you can burn the files to a DVD-A!

Have fun listening.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #58 on: 12 Nov 2009, 02:46 pm »
Yes, what HAL said.  :)  And if you want to find out how to take hirez files and make them DVD-Audio discs, playable at up to 24/192 via the Oppo, then check out out thread on that subject here on the HiRez Circle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69002.0

However, keep in mind that the SPDIF out will ONLY handle LPCM (like DVD-Audio or DVD-video's 24/96 audio) not BluRay audio.  BluRay audio, although up to 24/192 too, is hampered, by code, from being sent out the SPDIF jacks any more than 24/48 (yuck).  So, to listen to Neil Young Archives or other BluRay audio-specific music, either listen via the analog outs (24/192 done in Oppo's internal DAC then sent via analog outs) or send via HDMI to a processor/receiver that is worthy.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 12 Nov 2009, 04:09 pm »
I have a strong sense that you are speaking English but it must be a strong vernacular to which I am unaccustomed. It's very acronym heavy.

My OPPO came with no instructions that I can remember or locate. I have no idea how to program it.

As for files and such, I haven't moved into that realm yet. I'm still at the tangible software stage. Is there hope?