Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I thought it would make sense to start a compilation of AC members' own HiRez equipment.  This thread would be a reference point for those that have yet to pick up any HiRez music.  They could see what others are using or have used.   So feel free to list any and all players or DACs you've used to play HiRez music.  We can then discuss what worked and what didn't.

I'll start...

Previous Players/equipment (format)
Sony 777ES (SACD, but 2 channel only...that's how the format was introduced   :o  )
Sony XA777ES  (SACD)
Technics DVD A-10  (DVD-Audio)
Modwright Sony 999ES Platinum Sig  (SACD)
Pioneer Elite Dv-45A (SACD/DVD-A)
Oppo 970 (SACD/DVD-Audio)
Marantz DV9600 (SACD/DVD-Audio)
Onkyo Pro 885 pre/processor (decodes TrueHD and DTS HD MA)...sale pending

Current Players/DACs (format)
Modwright Transporter (up to 24/96)
Squeezebox 3 (up to 24/48)
Modwright Denon 3910 Platinum Signature (SACD/DVD-Audio)
M-Audio Sonica Transit portable USB (up to 24/96)
Oppo 980 (SACD/DVD-Audio)...probably for sale soon
Samsung BDP-1400 Blu-Ray (decodes TrueHD and DTS HD MA)
Panasonic DMP-BD35 (bitstream HD codecs only, no decoding)
Denon 3808 processor/receiver (decodes TrueHD and DTS HD MA)

Evaluating/Demoing (format)
Weiss Minerva/DAC2 (up to 24/192)
Bryston BDA-1 (up to 24/192)
Berkeley Alpha DAC (up to 24/192)

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: Survey: What HiRez-capable player/processor/DAC do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:27 pm »
Present Player: Pioneer Elite DV-58AV

Gone through the mill:
Oppo 970, 980
Sony NS999ES
Pioneer DV-45A
Sony SCD555ES

Russ

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:32 pm »
Ted
Looking forward to info on your DAC demo.  I know David likes his Weiss.  I currently have the PS Audio DIII w/Cullen Lvl 4 mods, but am looking at a Hi-Rez sample rate DAC in the near future (including the PS Audio Perfect Wave).
Mark

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:37 pm »
Yeah, the PerfectWave looks like an interesting one; few of them around yet.  I turned David onto the Weiss, and then he pulled the trigger.  I love when I get people to spend their money, not mine.   :thumb:   The Ayre looks promising, although USB only  :( , and I'll bring Gordon's Wavelength Cosecant in here too (same code, different architecture).

Moon Doggy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:55 am »
One and Only CD Player/DAC: Cambridge Audio 840C (after many demos) Accepts all rates up to 24/192

Hi Rez files on SPDIF in from my Mac are not up to par with the Redbook CD playback on the 840C. The interface is too jittery and electronically noisy on a highly resolving setup. And I'm very picky. So looking at firewire or USB DACs...

Like the Weiss DAC2 or a Wavelength DAC like the Proton. Need to demo but where?
Anybody know if the proton sounds as good as an 840C or a Bryston CD player?

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:37 pm »
Previous: Panasonic DVDRP-91K (DVD-Audio)

Current: Newcastle SD-860 (DVD-A/SACD) & LiTe Audio DAC-62 (Up to 24/96)

Future: Oppo BDP-83???

Scottdazzle

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:00 pm »
Modwright Sony 9100ES.  :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:48 pm »
Prior: Sony SCD-333es (modded...and abysmal :()

Backup duty now: Pioneer DV-656a (passable...made all the better using Dakioms on the outputs)

Current: Cambridge DVD-99 (put a decent cord on it, run it thru an isolation transformer - separating the digital grundge from the rest of the system, and top-of-the-line Dakiom's complete a very nice DVD-A experience)  :thumb:

John

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:52 pm »
John,
Talk to us about your Dakiom experience (maybe start a new thread...hirez tweaks?)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:22 pm »
Mac Mini > Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:29 pm »

Kewl.  Any special USB cable?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm »

Kewl.  Any special USB cable?

Mac Mini (Cryoe'd OCZ 120 GB SSD and Cryoe'd 4 GB Crucial RAM > 2x Iomega Mini Max 1 TB drives > Cryoe'd Kimber Silver USB > Wavelength Audio Coesecant V3

low.pfile

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2009, 12:35 am »
only 24/96 though....

Digital downloads in my main system: My mac with iTunes > Denon AVR4306 receiver (only uses DAC section-AVR preout to 2 ch preamp/amp)
or in my office system: Mac with iTunes > Monarchy NM24 DAC

I have only tried free FLAC files so far to see if this was possible http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67806.msg626561#msg626561

HiRez music not readily available for most of the music I am interested in and the cost is currently a not appealing. But standing by.

cheers, ed

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2009, 02:59 am »
Yeah, the PerfectWave looks like an interesting one; few of them around yet.  I turned David onto the Weiss, and then he pulled the trigger.  I love when I get people to spend their money, not mine.   :thumb:   The Ayre looks promising, although USB only  :( , and I'll bring Gordon's Wavelength Cosecant in here too (same code, different architecture).

Good thing I know how to return the favor  :wink:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2009, 03:44 am »
Yeah, no sh$7!   :D

Crimson

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2009, 10:18 am »
Currently: RME Fireface 400 and Apogee Mini for hi-rez downloads, and Sony XA777ES and SCD-595 for SACD.

werd

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2009, 06:49 pm »
My only Hi rez is my Pioneer dv-59 udp. My Bryston BDA1 on redbooks smokes the dvd audio and sacd. It works as a nice transport though. However I am still interested in finding more sacd's for it. I really like the marantz 9600 udp. Its a solid machine, would like to replace my pioneer with it. The marantz is a nice cd transport i find too.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
My only Hi rez is my Pioneer dv-59 udp. My Bryston BDA1 on redbooks smokes the dvd audio and sacd. It works as a nice transport though. However I am still interested in finding more sacd's for it. I really like the marantz 9600 udp. Its a solid machine, would like to replace my pioneer with it. The marantz is a nice cd transport i find too.

If the BDA-1 smokes it (BTW, i'm demoing it and i agree it's very nice) then why don't you set the DV-59 to send up-to-192k LPCM out the coax and have the Bryston be you DVD_A DAC (can't do for SACD, of course, but can for DVD-A).

werd

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:39 pm »

If the BDA-1 smokes it (BTW, i'm demoing it and i agree it's very nice) then why don;t yous et the DV-59 to send up-to-192k LPCM out the coax and have the Bryston be you DVD_A DAC (can't do for SACD, of course, but can for DVD-A).

didnt know i could do that.... :lol: . going to give that a try later. thanx

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:53 pm »

If the BDA-1 smokes it (BTW, i'm demoing it and i agree it's very nice) then why don;t yous et the DV-59 to send up-to-192k LPCM out the coax and have the Bryston be you DVD_A DAC (can't do for SACD, of course, but can for DVD-A).

didnt know i could do that.... :lol: . going to give that a try later. thanx

Nevermind.  I just downloaded the owners manual, and the 59AVI is an older model that will only output up to 96k if you set "LPCM and down sample off" in the dig outs (page 63-64).  It downconverts 176 and 192k audio out those ouitputs regardless.  :(

My cheap Oppo will do 192k although I love the sound of the Modwright Denon 3910 so I go that route.  The Oppo is a nice 176k and 192k digital downloaded file transport for a DAC though; I just take 176k and 192k hirez files and author them as DVD-A, via something easy like DVD Audio Solo, and i send them out the Oppo digital outs to a 192k DAC.